Effect type question

I have very little filmmaking experience but i do enjoy working on movies. Now one of my favorite films is The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNDaifCMAdI

At about 0:39 in the video there is a close up of Cesare and you just see his head and little of the background now what i was wondering is how does one conjure this up. Is it like a simple vignette or is it something different all together? I'm just curious as to how to do this....Sorry if I'm being a novice but i don't know how its done

As for editing i use Lightworks to do all my editing for my films and such but i do use photoshop on some occasions to edit pictures and such. I don't think Lightworks has a vignette function so i'll probably have to look for an alternative. Im just curious but how did they do Vignettes back then before softwares were able too?

I've never really looked at vignetting or anything, so I did a quick google search for how it may have been done in that particular (brilliant) movie. Wiki provided answers:
Mechanical vignetting
Mechanical vignetting occurs when light beams emanating from object points located off-axis are partially blocked by external objects such as thick or stacked filters, secondary lenses, and improper lens hoods. This has the effect of changing the entrance pupil shape as a function of angle. The darkening can be gradual or abrupt, depending on the lens aperture. The smaller the aperture, the more abrupt the vignetting as a function of angle. Complete blackening is possible with mechanical vignetting (when the corner of the image is essentially imaging the inside of the lens hood or filter holder).

Optical vignetting
This type of vignetting is caused by the physical dimensions of a multiple element lens. Rear elements are shaded by elements in front of them, which reduces the effective lens opening for off-axis incident light. The result is a gradual decrease in light intensity towards the image periphery. Optical vignetting is sensitive to the lens aperture and can often be cured by a reduction in aperture of 2–3 stops. (An increase in the F-number.)

Hope that helps.

Back