• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Editing Fight Scene

I have a fight scene between two women, where they punch each other and wrestle guns off each other.

My problem is I only have a steadicam angle, we had a b cam set up to capture the reverse but footage has got lost.

So I can't cheat the edit for when they are being hit, plus on set direction had to be given despite rehearsal, and it was picked up from that time, every time. So no full takes.

So basically it's a bit of a mess!

I'm trying to think of creative ideas around it, best I've come up with is perhaps...

1. Do some kind of manic transition at the point they hit to fudge it, could add more energy in to the scene. Combined with a banging score could be cool.

2. Do some kind of "frame in frame" split screen style so each frame as different footage displaying the fight.

I guess I'm just looking for ideas that could make this work? Thanks

direction had to be given despite rehearsal, and it was picked up from that time, every time.

There is almost always on-set direction for "action" scenes, everything from running down a hallway to fights to weapons play to car chases and more. That's what sound editing is for! You delete all of the production sound, ADR the vocalizations and use Foley & sound effects to replace the rest. In fact, with the exception of dialog, almost all sound is created in audio post.

I'll leave visual editing to those who know more than I do.

You can also add something not very related to be able to make a cut.
Shoot an insert of the exterior of the building while a shot is fired.
Or a shot of a TV-watching neighbour looking up disturbed by the muffled sounds of the fight.
Or a neighbour with a dog passing by without noticing anything.

Thanks for the welcome. The problem I am having with the fightscene is not audio related so when you have constant pick ups I need another angle to mask the cut, so I can't see anyway to conventionally edit this.

I'll upload something for you guys to take a look at.

First suggestion: Don't lose footage. Backups, backups and more backups. I guess lesson learned.

Second suggestion. A fight scene with only 2 pieces of coverage? Mad much?

A really easy way around most coverage issues (at least at this level) is to intercut the scene with another scene. Switching back and forth at the appropriate points. While it's rarely a great option, it's probably your best option until you reshoot.

From a quick look of what you've shot, your real issue is taking the shot (maybe more?) from the wrong angle. You can see the hits miss the target and the target isn't selling it too well.

First suggestion: Don't lose footage. Backups, backups and more backups. I guess lesson learned.

Second suggestion. A fight scene with only 2 pieces of coverage? Mad much?

A really easy way around most coverage issues (at least at this level) is to intercut the scene with another scene. Switching back and forth at the appropriate points. While it's rarely a great option, it's probably your best option until you reshoot.

From a quick look of what you've shot, your real issue is taking the shot (maybe more?) from the wrong angle. You can see the hits miss the target and the target isn't selling it too well.

Thanks for your advice, taken on board. If you knew half of what went on that day of shooting you'd understand why we were lucky to get what we did!! Shit happens I'm laid back about it now, just got to do my best with what I have, wishing the clock back isn't going to help me now...

Thanks for your advice, taken on board. If you knew half of what went on that day of shooting you'd understand why we were lucky to get what we did!! Shit happens I'm laid back about it now, just got to do my best with what I have, wishing the clock back isn't going to help me now...

I suspect you know the answer: Write it off. Walk away.

I suspect you know the answer: Write it off. Walk away.

wow thanks for the encouragement lol I have thought of writing this off many times, but I'm obliged to finish it. The thing is the majority of the film is pretty good, just got to find a way to work this fight scene.

What you can fix, feature as they say.

I think I'll try and cheat the time forward and see how a transition might look. I do have other steadycam angles to intercut so it might not be as bad as I think.

Back