dvd regions ?

Hello everyone,

A classmate of mine recently (and suddenly) moved to Mexico for his fathers work.
Now over time him and I have made a few videos for our French class projects. I would like to at least send him a dvd copy of all our work together as a memento. Some of his closer friends in our class have his info, so I'm hoping I can get an address, but anyway
I have heard about dvd regions and was wondering that if I made a dvd here (USA) and shipped it to his home, would he be able to play it? Would it not be compatible? And if so, is there any way I make make it compatible or get compatible blank dvds? Thanks again!!
btw I use dvd archtiect to author my dvds.

Just use Region 0 which is none. Regions are used by distribution companies to control where DVDs are licensed.

Mexico is region 4 NTSC. REGION 0 means NO REGION, and is pretty much universal.

The split up the regions because 15 years ago when DVD"s were on the rise, the studios used to stagger their releases., meaning the big movies like a STAR WARS might get released here in the U.S. in May, but not reach SPAIN or AUSTRALIA until December. Because it is perfectly legal to buy a copy from AMAZON.COM in the U.S. and have a DVD shipped to Australia or Europe, they were afraid this would cut into ticket sales, which is still where movies make the most and fastest profit. So before any of the studios would commit to DVD production, they demanded the manufacturers come up with a plan to prevent this. Thus REGIONS were born.

DVD%20Regions%20Map.jpg

A few oddities, MEXICO is Region 4, but NTSC where as AUSTRALIA is Region 4, but PAL format. Japan is Region 2 but NTSC, the rest of Region 2 is in Europe and PAL.

Back