dvd not burning

Hello,
I am using sony vegas pro 9 and dvd architect 5. I have in the past burned dvds in the wmv format, but found out it was better to do mpeg 2 and ac3. So the video worked just the same in the dvd arch. preview like it did with the wmv file. But it isnt able to burn I get the following message:

The device has received an illegal command

You can press the details button for further information.

SFMMCX'-(17)
''-(0)
-'hp CDDVDW TS-H653R 0E00'-(1)
Module f:\source\sonic3\release\dvdarchitect\5.0\cddrvs\sfcd\sfmmcx.cpp Line 2144
An illegal request was received.
A specified address is out of range.

Command: 2a 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 20 00
Sense: 05 21 00
Info: 00 00 00 00
Specific: 00 00 00
Extra: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

When I tried burning the same video on a wmv format dvd after, it workde fine. So I'm not sure what the problem is? Im using memorex dvd-r discs (single layer). Thanka a lot!

P.S. I also cannot use dvd-rw discs to burn the files it seems, either. It Takes forever to burn without going up in percent, then at a certain point it says the drive is not compatible. But on the burn menu it says thatmy drive CAN write/ read dvdrw (+ or -). So this doesn't make any sense either. This type of dvd will not work with any video format thus far. Any light that could be shed would be appreciated!!!!

I'm not sure about that error message, but there is a great (and free, I think) program I use called WinAVI to convert AVI (it's converts many formats) to DVD files, aka the VOB files and stuff. It can be buggy in that sometimes the end result is out of sync, but it will work if you try it again, just don't forget to check before you waste a disc.

As for the PS: I'm not sure why you're having burning issues with DVD-RW, but that type of disc is not recognized by a lot of DVD players, so it may be a moot point that they don't work.

One thing we tend to forget that DVD burning is a delicate process, in the early days of CDR\DVDR best practice was to not TOUCH the computer while it was burning... seems that's not longer really the case, but I do find that occasional failures sometimes are caused by multi-tasking..

I don't know either of these programs, but in the past Iv found a last ditch workarounds to most burning issues:

If your DVD authoring software can create an ISO image file, do that instead of burning the disk directly. Once you have the ISO file, your burning software should be able to burn a DVD from that ISO file much more easily than otherwise.

In my experience and it has already been said. Dvd-rw is better for data than burning because it is rewritable. I usually use mpeg-2 for dvd burning and that works out fine I use a program called any video converter which can be downloaded legally for free. It converts all video files and the mpeg-2 format I mentioned earlier it converts to ntsc which is the American dvd player format (it is also capable of pal but that is a foreign format). Hope that helps

Back