DSLR Monitor

I need an external monitor for my dslr. Nothing fancy, I just need a heads-up display that I can use to maintain focus. Any recommendations?

Least expensive?

Best bang for the buck?

I need an external monitor for my dslr. Nothing fancy, I just need a heads-up display that I can use to maintain focus. Any recommendations?

Least expensive?

Best bang for the buck?

In my opinion, Manhattan HD LCD monitors are the best buy considering what you get, especially if focus is important instead of just framing. They're among the least expensive that offer HD.

Anything cheaper won't allow for critical focus with reliable results. I have both a Manhattan 7" HD LCD and a Varizoom 7" LCD and they're not in the same league.

The Varizoom is mounted to a Glidecam and is for framing only.
There's just no way my current financial situation will allow me to pay that much for a monitor.

21MqVIuzMnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Lilliput 8" 869gl-80np/c Vga Monitor with Dvi and Hdmi Input $195 on Amazon

# Compatible with Devices with HDMI or mini HDMI output such as Canon 5D mark II,Canon 7D,Nikon D300S and D3S and so on,

I like those Lilliput's and wish I picked one up instead of the Varizoom. The price is great with the only real drawback being the brightness is 250 nits and that's not going to work too well in most cases outdoors without some serious homemade shade.

The Manhattans are brighter at about 400+ nits, but use more power.

I hate the fact that you can get a 42"+ LCD or plasma TV for less than most of these monitors. There's just something wrong about that.

I have the Lilliput 669hb. It's Brighter than the others and you can still see it in sunlight. Not HD, it's 800x400 (I think) but plenty good to pull focus with. Honestly anything is better for pulling focus than the built in screen.

I emailed customer service and asked for the group buy price. Add a swivel hot shoe mount and an external battery it ended up being $240.

The one thing i wish it had that the pro Monitors have is a blue-only switch and accurate color controls so you could really set the monitor and know what you're getting. You won't get thy for less than $900-1000 though, still not HD.

+1 on the liliputs, have one and love it...

FWIW T2i\60D dont output HD Hdmi during recording.

I tried a T2i the other day with a zacuato viewfinder thingy, its quite awesome.

Picking up a Zacuto 3 X in about 2 hours. Local buy off Craigslist for $275, about $100 off new.
I still want a monitor though, for framing and for director to see what the camera guy is seeing. Since I plan to use for framing only I think a lilliput will do for my purposes. I have to get some rails pretty soon, just trying to find the best deal.

Picking up a Zacuto 3 X in about 2 hours. Local buy off Craigslist for $275, about $100 off new.
I still want a monitor though, for framing and for director to see what the camera guy is seeing. Since I plan to use for framing only I think a lilliput will do for my purposes. I have to get some rails pretty soon, just trying to find the best deal.

You'll like the Zacuto 3X. You can see individual pixels.

For the rail system, take a look at some of the 15mm quick release options that JAG35 offers that are meant for the Gorilla Plate. http://jag35.com/new/products/gorilla-stand/

The battery I bought was this: eBay link. It lasted me all day on an 18 hour shoot day, granted it was off when moving loctations and what not. I just velcro it on the back of the monitor.

If you want, I know a guy that makes a mount for the back of the monitor that accepts the canon DSLR batteries. I think it's like $35. PM me for the link.

Back