DSLR drains power when turned off.

Hi :)

I have a problem with my Canon 60D, the battery get it's power drain when the camera is off! Very frustrating, when I travel I must take out the battery and carry the camera and battery seperately, then put it back in when I want to record something.

What is the problem? I have installed the Magic Lantern "hack", could it be the sinner? I doubt it, since the ML hack is runned from a memory card. And I have tried with other cards without the ML, also without any card, still drains power. Or is the camera "changed" even though I don't have a ML installed card in? Since ML is a firmware update im guessing it "saves" something in the camera itself ,which could cause the power drain, a bug maybe?

Thanks in advance.

While DSLR does drain battery even when it is shut off, it going THAT fast isn't natural. Could possibly be the battery. Does it do it to all batteries?

I only have this one battery, as said I am planning to ba a new battery soon. Im hoping it's just the battery, if it happens to other batteries something must be wrong with the camera.

2-3 hours was maybe an exaggeration, 4-5 or 6 hours maybe, but still it's quite extreme.

As a rule dont travel with batteries installed.
Pressure changes can cause them to leak and ruin your equipment, or so Iv heard, though never had a problem my self.

I will start doing this now, haven't really thought about it before.

As long as it doesn't completely stops working and drains all the power in like 1 hour, I will keep using it.

Last edited:
I eventually figured out the problem. It is Magic Lantern, I read on their site if you remove the memory card while the little red light is on, the camera will go into a "crash mode" or something which will drain the battery. I wait 2 sec before I remove the memory card now, and it doesn't drain any power anymore :)

Back