Dos and Don't regarding location shooting

Okay, so I'm starting my second short(which is a sequel I guess to my first), and it involves location shooting. Now besides outdoor stuff like the waterfront and whatnot, I'd like to do shooting involving public places(right now I've got a Library, want to include shots on the bus and maybe a coffee shop)

I've got the whole getting permission stuff going, anything else I should be aware of(besides keeping other people out of my shots unless I want to get into signing releases).

Any advice on what else to look for(and what NOT to do)?

Been a while since I've been on *l* Just to update a couple of people who asked to let me know how it went, I finally got my first location shoots done! Yay!:cool:

It was a library and a city park-neither of which had problems giving permission. The city went so far in a letter to say in their bylaws that I didn't require permission to film, but it is appreciated to let them know what I was doing in case anyone called, they could satisfy the person calling.

It didn't help the situation that was I was in a mask and wig doing the filming *L*. I had a couple of odd looks, but then they saw the camera and paid it no heed. I was very careful to keep people who weren't part of the picture out of my shots, and I was pretty unobtrusive. I thanked them for the permission. All it required in my case was written requests with time, date and details of what I was shooting. It was certainly an experience I won't forget! The outdoor shots were in dreary weather, but I was going for that effect anyway, so it helped out.

Thanks to all for their advice on this subject!

I would start with the non-emergency police dept number for the city you're "Filming it" (cops don't want to hear you're shooting). Ask them who you need to call for permission, since they are the ones who would enforce that sort of thing, they may know. Take down the name of the person you speak to.

Then call the city offices they will eventually direct you towards, make sure that you mention that so and so from the police department directed you to them (this lets them know that other people are aware phone calls are being made and puts a little more pressure on them to not just brush you off). This will get you another name and place you're supposed to call... just follow the feeding chain upwards until you get to someone who says "Yes, I'll sign a permission slip" or "Yes, I'll give you a permit to film".

Always get it in writing, always get names. Always carry that with you in a 3 ring binder on set.

Social engineering is all about making your phone call sound official and generating a sense of power on the part of the person you're calling. This is the producer's biggest tool and best weapon in defense of the art of filmmaking.

Alabama is pretty lenient, when asked for a permit, they couldn't believe anybody was interested in filming anything in this area, so, they didn't really have a way to provide me with a permit, they just told me to get permission from the places or owners. We got permission for the junkyard scene from the owner, well, ok, it was only after he showed up wanting to know who was stealing parts. So, after I explained to him that we tried calling the displayed number, which was disconnected, asking people next door at the recycling plant who the owner was, and seeing this place was open all week, we assumed it was abandoned. After I explained that we were shooting a video, he was real cool about it and said it was no problem, then he offered to give us some props, which we took. Maybe it was simply the fact that we had a group of guys dressed in black and ball caps with rap music thumping, I don't know, but seeing my tripod, track, and reflecting boards, he probably realized we were telling the truth . Like I said, I guess people are amazed that there's anything worth filming in this rural county. So, permits are not an issue in my neck of the woods, in fact, they didn't have a category for a business license. Yeah, this area is quite different than the Kansas City I just moved from! Now, 5 minutes away in Columbus, GAa, yeah, we probably should have asked for permits, but we filmed at an abandoned old factory, so who's gonna say anything? Anyway, it turned out well, but I think I'd still feel comfortable next time getting permits.

In my experience, I shot in a total of 4 towns and no one demanded I buy a permit. My crew was small, 1 camera, did use a tripod, and a small dolly. They (the persons we talked to after following a series of telephone calls) all gave me their names and said to call them or mention their names to the police if harassed or anything. Nothing like that happened. In fact, several police cars cruised by and they simply waved at us. Small towns are GREAT! So it really depends on the area where you are shooting. One of the towns was Asheville, NC. Best wishes on your shoot!

who's gonna say anything?

No one... until someone gets hurt or something gets damaged with no agreements signed regarding liability in either case. You don't necessarily need insurance (it's a good idea, but expensive) if everyone involved agrees and signs of on their releases that the business owners/ land owners aren't liable for injuries and that your production company takes full responsibility for any damages you cause. These two assurances in writing on paper is usually enough to sway property owners to let you use their property.

oh good point, didn't even think about the liablity aspect. But if we got hurt and the artist tried to sue, the judge would look at us and say, "well, you shouldn't have been trespassing." He would have been right. but you point is well taken.

With my experience with both places, I had letters, and contact information that I carried with me, both letters giving me the permission and thanking me for taking the time. I had one person in the library ask if I had permission, said yeah, I have a letter, but she just said "okay" and left it at that.

I agree part of it is where you are filming(the biggest concerns that I had questions about were other people in the shot-made sure no one was in the shot and was prepared to have the waiver if needed), but other than that they were pretty good.

Now I imagine if I were shooting in a bigger area, yeah, I can see all sorts of paperwork.

Thanks Knightly for the "chain of command" post, it will be something keep in mind. I plan in future to get everything in writing and get contact information. The more information, the better.

People have had some interesting experiences it sounds like, all very educational!

Not so much chain of command that's important there. it's really getting verifiable names to throw around. Then even if the person isn't the right person, they think they are supposed to be because someone else in the city governmental structure said they were. Even gov't employees are scared of gov't employees.

Back