Dos and Don't regarding location shooting

Okay, so I'm starting my second short(which is a sequel I guess to my first), and it involves location shooting. Now besides outdoor stuff like the waterfront and whatnot, I'd like to do shooting involving public places(right now I've got a Library, want to include shots on the bus and maybe a coffee shop)

I've got the whole getting permission stuff going, anything else I should be aware of(besides keeping other people out of my shots unless I want to get into signing releases).

Any advice on what else to look for(and what NOT to do)?

Well if you're gonna do it right:

Permits
Insurance
Transportation to location for those w/o vehicles
Food/Drink
Power
Bathroom access!
Wardrobe (changing area)

Definitely things to consider, thanks!

Though, thankfully, equip wise I only have to worry about 1 camera, one camera person and one performer, and my budget is pretty much what's in my bank account. But those are certainly things to think about should I ever get into bigger scale projects.

Slightly OT- is there any truth to what I hear about the movie "Ghostbusters", where they actually filmed a couple of scenes without proper permissions?(The Library scenes). Basically set up a camera and went with it?

Well you can always use guerrilla tactics, what you risk is getting thrown out and wasting a shooting day. If this happens the actors and crew may not return.

Oh, yeah, that would be fun:rolleyes:

I am trying to do this the right way, getting permissions, making sure things are alright. Library just needs a formal written request, they're pretty open about it, which is good. I'm on the very low end of what I have to use to make film(camera and tripod anyone? *l*), and there's no dialogue, just ambivent sounds and from what I'm hearing upon my inquires, the less obtrusive the equipment, the more likely other places will okay it.

It's a learning experience though.

I'd be interested in hearing any obstacles you encounter as I will start shooting my first "real" production around town here next month.

That I will. I never realized how many letters of permission I'm writing, even though some of the scenes may only be a minute or two, even something as simple as getting on a bus and riding and filming it.

I also have the obstacle that my main character wears a mask-people seem to give odd looks, until they see the camera equipment, then you see the "oh I see" look on their face. :)

I'd be interested in turn to keep up with your production(which I assuming is feature length?). I mainly am doing shorts right now, and would be interested to see how much more work a feature length is going to be.

As I understand it, most places require a permit if you are physically putting a tripod or any stabilizing device for the camera down on the ground. If you're doing it all hand held, you're good to go.

Make sure you have proper location agreements signed by the library staff (people in charge who are supposed to be signing!)

Yes, guerrilla is a way to go, and as long as the people who run the library sign off and are cool with it, I doubt you'll have to worry about a permit. I mean, who's gonna call the cops if the library people are letting you do it? Worst case, a cop shows up and tells you to stop. Yes, that can cause some embarrassment, but, no big deal. If it's a solid crew and cast, they will understand that you are shooting guerrilla.

As I understand it, most places require a permit if you are physically putting a tripod or any stabilizing device for the camera down on the ground. If you're doing it all hand held, you're good to go.
This is so tourists don't need permits while walking down the street with a camera. You need to plug lights in, right? Lights have cables and stands right? Cast and crew right? You can't get away with this unless you're a one-man-crew videographer with the camera on your shoulder.

This is so tourists don't need permits while walking down the street with a camera. You need to plug lights in, right? Lights have cables and stands right? Cast and crew right? You can't get away with this unless you're a one-man-crew videographer with the camera on your shoulder.

Not if you're using natural lighting. Also, any of the steadicams (like glidecam), or a spiderbrace which is GREAT by the way. Or you can just put the tripod in the back of a truck. (if outdoors, that is!) hehe

I'd be interested in turn to keep up with your production(which I assuming is feature length?). I mainly am doing shorts right now, and would be interested to see how much more work a feature length is going to be.

No I'm not doing a feature, I don't have the time for that yet unfortunately. I'm shooting my first music video for distribution, but the artist likes to shoot on various sites around the community, which requires permissions and everything else mentioned here. I informed him today that if there's a company logo somewhere in the background he'll need permission from the company, even if its just a junkyard. More than likely, being Alabama, that junkyard is most likely someone's back yard! Anyway, I then got an idea from this forum yesterday and told the guy that since he's an up and coming artist and actually has a song on the radio, he might want to ask the companies if they would mind paying a small fee as advertisement in his next video that I'm shooting. I believe in using the Jedi mind trick to the fullest extent, "No, I do not need your permission to film on your location, you will pay me to display your company logo in my video...."
He's going to Atlanta this Friday to record the Master audio track for the video. I told him while he's up there, look for "high paying" advert locations for his next video. I'll let you know if this tactic works. I'll also let you know if I come across any obstacles as well.

Last edited:
Not if you're using natural lighting. Also, any of the steadicams (like glidecam), or a spiderbrace which is GREAT by the way. Or you can just put the tripod in the back of a truck. (if outdoors, that is!) hehe
Trust me this doesn't work for a real shoot. The soundman needs a boom pole right? There's a cable right? The make-up artist needs a table and chair right? So on, so on.

Permits are free here in NYC.

Trust me this doesn't work for a real shoot. The soundman needs a boom pole right? There's a cable right? The make-up artist needs a table and chair right? So on, so on.

Permits are free here in NYC.

If you have a makeup artist with a table and chair, you probably already have a permit at that point. And the soundman should be using a boompole with a coiled cable inside that goes to the mixer on his belt. :) Shouldn't be any cables dragging.

A cable goes from the boom-op to the sound mixer. Anyways I think you get the point. Why focus all your energy into keeping things off the ground and looking for cops when you can get a permit and focus your energy on the film? They are probably free or very cheap where you live.

Yeah I just like giving you a hard time. ;)

I know personally here where I'm at, the film office is really crappy. They very rarely respond to you, and it's a task getting a permit.

Some good advice and things to think about here, thanks :)

My main shooting areas are going to be outdoors in city parks by the waterfront. I suppose I could go to city hall and I don't think they'd have a problem with it. The library and on a bus are the only other places-like Library seems to be fine, just the bus, and letting them know that the shots will be that only the actor will be in the shot. So hopefully I can get the permit from them too without a problem.

He's going to Atlanta this Friday to record the Master audio track for the video. I told him while he's up there, look for "high paying" advert locations for his next video. I'll let you know if this tactic works. I'll also let you know if I come across any obstacles as well.

Good to have all this information being shared and updating. Good luck on the video! Sounds like you're on your way :)

:banned:

:)

Do you have this info thefilmgeek?

RICHMOND

Allen Rothert
Office of the Mayor
City of Richmond
900 E. Broad Street
2nd Floor, Office of the Mayor
Richmond, VA 23219
804.337.7383 cell
E-mail: allen.rothert@richmondgov.com
http://www.film.virginia.org/prod_resources/local_film_liaisons.aspx

Thats for the actual city of Richmond. I spend most of my time in Chesterfield, and that's also where I'll be shooting. The people in this county are really bad about getting back to you, so I just gave up on getting permits. I just shoot guerilla everywhere. Nobody really cares lol.

You know I've heard if you wear a film school shirt the cops won't bother you. If they do say you're in film school. Don't know if it works.

Back