• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

DOF btw 7D and 5D?

Don't know if I am right about this but 7D has more Depth of field and has a crop sensor unlike 5D who has more shallow DOF but has Full-frame sensor, also heard it makes it harder to focus with.
I have a hard time visualizing the difference between these two camera's..

I'm shooting in tight spaces but would like to capture more deep DOF. Would 7D be a better choice in that case....yet at the same time I also like the full-frame look of 5D...

Between the two what are the recommendations or any comments?

Thank you kindly in advance!

The 5D is more shallow for sure, but depending on how much light you have you can always stop it down and deepen the DOF.

We use the 7D in tight spaces with a wide lens and it works fine too.

You can run the 7D to around 800 ISO ok and the 5D up to 1600 without too much noise if you're in low light, but again if you're running wide open on a fast lens (1.4 or similar) it's going to be hard to pull. If you can afford to stay under 800 ISO and have access to good wide lenses, I'd go with the 7 indoors and the 5 outdoors (daytime).

First (and I don't mean to sound like a dick when I say this), we need to make sure we're clear on our word-usage. There's not really any such thing as "more" depth of field. If I'm reading you right, what you mean to say is either "deep" or "wide" depth of field. Either of those terms would mean that more stuff is in focus, whereas "shallow" or a "narrow" depth of field would of course mean the opposite.

Anyway, you can get a wide depth of field with either camera. However, using the same lens on either camera, you will get a completely different image (because of the crop-factor/full-frame difference). What that results in is that 5D users will tend to put on lenses with a greater focal length, and that will result in a more shallow depth of field.

However, if you've got a lens with a high f-stop, you can shoot deep focus on either camera.

To envision how crop-factor effects your image, imagine you take a picture with your 5D. Then, cut off a good portion of the picture from each side, top and bottom. That is what you would get if you had taken the same picture, with the same lens, with the 7D. Exact same picture, but less of it.

Just a note on ISO mentioned above. Above 1250 is where the 5D goes in the tank. Most tests actually show 640 as pretty much as clean as 320 or 160, 1250 drops off a little, but still good, above 1250 the serious noise starts.

Back