directing Does the director of photography/cinematographer have the right to step into the feet of the director?

Sometimes a director gets bogged down in some minutia and the
DP will “step on the toes” to make the shoot easier. Sometimes an
experienced DP will “step on the toes” of an inexperienced director
to make a situation more clear to the crew or actors.

A good, experienced DP may intimidate a director with their understanding
of a set up or coverage (or many other things) and they director may
feel their toes were stepped on – but that usually just an ego thing.

You're feeling diminished right now. Talk to your DP, find out where you
two aren't communicating. Unless your DP is just an ass - then fire him.

Does the DP/Cinematographer have the right to step into the feet of the director? Is it wrong and unprofessional to do that?
Hi, JK -- in my experience, it can happen whenever there is a creative collaboration. An experienced DP may have strong ideas on how to light and shoot a scene. As Director, I have always welcomed that, while also needing to be sure I am communicating with them what I want/hope to see. Sometimes, I have a very specific set of shots/storyboards to follow. DP's may not like that as they feel hemmed-in. But since I edit what I direct, that approach works best for me. Other times, the blocking will be known ahead of time based on rehearsals with the actors. Then I insist we follow them as the camera crew, not vice-versa. That's usually easier to navigate. It all depends, you have to be willing to discuss w/ your DP.

Does the DP/Cinematographer have the right to step into the feet of the director? Is it wrong and unprofessional to do that?
If an director is making his first movie and has no story board, script or call sheet and you are 8 hours over the agreed time because of the directors VISION or .....IMPROVISATION. The DP/Cinematographer, sound, light and the actors have the right to step into the feet of the director.

Back