Does music license prices go down per the budget of film?`

In the first place, festivals that have distributors attending (there's only a handful of them) are not going to be selecting a film with an obviously stolen pop song in it.

Look at it this way, if pop music was cheap, we'd ALL be using them.

It ain't gonna happen. :no:

first of all lots of people have gotten away with using songs for festivals. I was talking about paying for the festival rights. You dont need to worry beyond that.

What are you planning to do if the notional distributor will not pay for the songs you want?

then i still got to show my movie with the songs i wanted and took a chance instead of settling . If i want to try to sell it independently i look into that. you could even show your film at private theatres with the songs you wannt. whos gonna do what?

Popular music is expensive and highly unaffordable for a low/no budget filmmaker. It would be cheaper and easier to either get a composer onto the project to make something with a somewhat similar sound, or finding an indie band with a similar sounding track. Be open to change. A good quality of a filmmaker is the ability to adapt to difficult situations. Using music you cannot afford will limit distribution options, damage the possibility of you getting your film scene, and could result in complications and legal action at some point possibly.

what are you even talking about ? really? make sure you read me right

Guerrilla is saying that you will be horrified when you find out what happens when you don't take proper legal precautions. Hence, joke about your reaction to the very possible ramifications for stealing intellectual property (IP, if you didn't know).

Guerrilla is saying that you will be horrified when you find out what happens when you don't take proper legal precautions. Hence, joke about your reaction to the very possible ramifications for stealing intellectual property (IP, if you didn't know).

This.

These days everyone is armed with a camera and google. Before your film ends, your stolen lines, music, clips, images may have been exposed to the world online, along with your mug. In the old days somebody in the audience just might yell "bogus!"

In the old days somebody in the audience just might yell "bogus!"

I was at an LA filmfest, where the filmmakers (during the q&a afterwards) were called out by the entire audience for the extremely blatant use of stolen music in their short film. The majority of the audience was probably the friends & filmmakers of all the other short films showing in that block - it was not pretty. :lol:

But back to the OP:

if your budget is 5000.00 can you get a great song for cheap?

Yes. You can.

It may not be the well-known song that millions of people around the world can whistle along to, but there's no shortage of excellent songs out there that you have access to.

This.

These days everyone is armed with a camera and google. Before your film ends, your stolen lines, music, clips, images may have been exposed to the world online, along with your mug. In the old days somebody in the audience just might yell "bogus!"

I was just trying to get some verification on the loopholes that many of you "filmmakers" cant seem to figure out and why alcove audio didnt respond back. If you cant raise enough money for festival prices maybe your film isnt worth showing. if you cant show your film a few times as art (not that many know what that is) why do it. If its worth it distributors will pay for the music if not you lost nothing.

If its worth it distributors will pay for the music, if not you've lost nothing.

Oh? Really? Isn't the point of making a film having it seen by an audience? Not all distributors have mega-bucks. I suggest that you may have lost an opportunity for your project to get small distribution deal. It just seems a little sad that your whole project relies on using a well known song. As an indie filmmaker you should be supporting indie music. As has been mentioned, there is lots of great sound alike material out there that will convey the impression you want.

If you cant raise enough money for festival prices maybe your film isnt worth showing.

It's nice that you may have the capital. But most indie types are scratching pennies to get their film made; even the festival entry fees are a stretch for many.

Oh? Really? Isn't the point of making a film having it seen by an audience? Not all distributors have mega-bucks. I suggest that you may have lost an opportunity for your project to get small distribution deal. It just seems a little sad that your whole project relies on using a well known song. As an indie filmmaker you should be supporting indie music. As has been mentioned, there is lots of great sound alike material out there that will convey the impression you want.

It's nice that you may have the capital. But most indie types are scratching pennies to get their film made; even the festival entry fees are a stretch for many.

i dont understand this sound alike idea. Ok lets say you want to distribute yourself and you want great music if you want any classic songs whether you pay for the sync rights or master it can cost the same. Yeah i can pay a composer. but what about some great artist what sounds like it? what sounds like china girl by bowie for example. even a cover you have to pay for.

you dont know me i have a funded film. you guys must really be indie. you cant answer me

i dont understand this sound alike idea. Ok lets say you want to distribute yourself and you want great music if you want any classic songs whether you pay for the sync rights or master it can cost the same. Yeah i can pay a composer. but what about some great artist what sounds like it? what sounds like china girl by bowie for example. even a cover you have to pay for.

you dont know me i have a funded film. you guys must really be indie. you cant answer me

alright fair enough alcove. sorry, i just was trying to make sure my thinking was on point. I'm ok now

distribution and production companies. if they like your film they will pay for the music.

Just noticed this. Doesn't happen.

Nor will they pay for your E&O insurance after-the-fact. Nor will they clean up your audio mix for you. Nor will they chase up on any other incomplete/missing paperwork, such as actor/location releases. Distribution companies want something ready to go, right now - so they can get straight to the business of distributing.

The only thing they will do is charge you too much for redesigning the artwork for the poster & DVD cover. :bag:

Good luck with your film, man. Peace & out.
smiley_tiphat.gif

What sounds like China Girl by Bowie for example?

Have you actually searched for anything? When I work as a music supervisor I will listen to literally hundreds of songs. I once auditioned almost 500 songs to find just one (1) song that was exactly what the director wanted. It used to piss me off every time he said "really close." BTW, he was right to make me search more.

How many songs have you auditioned so far?

I have a funded film. You guys must really be indie. You can't answer me

Did you notice the name of the forum you are on? It's IndieTalk, and folks here scrounge for time and funds to get their projects made. You're funded? Well good for you!!! But what do you mean by "funded?" You've got $100,000? A million? Or more zeroes? Once you truly hit "funding" you should have all of the legal council you need, and nor be asking about licensing prices from strangers on an internet forum.

Read this post from Zen again.

if your film can be picked up they will pay.

Doesn't happen.

Nor will they pay for your E&O insurance after-the-fact. Nor will they clean up your audio mix for you. Nor will they chase up on any other incomplete/missing paperwork, such as actor/location releases. Distribution companies want something ready to go, right now - so they can get straight to the business of distributing.

If you have a "funded" film you wouldn't be here asking these questions. Your entertainment lawyer would have already told you to forget the pop song idea.

Now that you've resorted to insults (something we've seen many times here), we know you're full of bs and well on your way to a crash and burn. :P

Back