• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Does anyone know how I can learn very very good dialogues?

As quick as possible and the dialogues which are based on some principles, and never get old. Or some which you like... Please be specific and say more summarized ways.

Thanks!

I don't understand why people think that dialogue is hard. I used to in high school until I got the same advice that I gave you.

It is not hard at all if you know how people really talk. Reading screenplays will help. But just get out and around people, really study what people say in a conversation, even eavesdrop a conversation. Pay attention to people.

It is not that hard at all if you know what you are doing.

Originally posted by Theauteur14

It is not hard at all if you know how people really talk. Reading screenplays will help. But just get out and around people, really study what people say in a conversation, even eavesdrop a conversation. Pay attention to people.

I completely agree that that's a great starting point, and I'm always listening to how people talk in bars, restaurants, before a play, etc. But I've found that then I need to cut out the excess words that we use in common conversations (uhh, yeah, I know, what about...) that slow down movie dialogue. The trick - in my opinion - is to figure out how to take what we all say in "normal" life and trim it down to just what works in a movie script. That's where most of my re-writes come in :)

Some people are naturals. They find writing dialogue easy. And they
don't understand why others don't find it easy. Same with other things
like playing the piano or basketball. I know a gifted piano player. As
early as 8 years old he could hear a song and play it. He doesn't
understand why other people take years and years of lessons and still
struggle.

It must be nice for those of you who find writing dialogue easy. I wish
I was one. I know you don't understand those people who find writing
dialogue difficult but many of us do. I do. Sometimes it just flows. Most
of the time I struggle.

As quick as possible
This is going to be a problem. You cannot learn how to write great
dialogue quickly. There is no trick you can use. Writing good dialogue
takes time and effort and (dare I say it?) talent.

Read. That's great advice. Novels and screenplays and short stories.
Read plays. Playwrights have nothing but the dialogue to tell their
story.
Listen. People all around you are talking.
Write. Write every day.

Why do you need to learn very, very good dialogue as quick as possible?

I completely agree that that's a great starting point, and I'm always listening to how people talk in bars, restaurants, before a play, etc. But I've found that then I need to cut out the excess words that we use in common conversations (uhh, yeah, I know, what about...) that slow down movie dialogue. The trick - in my opinion - is to figure out how to take what we all say in "normal" life and trim it down to just what works in a movie script. That's where most of my re-writes come in :)
I myself have a different taste of films. I believe the special effect should be close to reality, and not a subject itself. I don't like a film because it has special effect, I like a nice film with or without it. Some times visual effects are nice, sometimes too much.
But about dialogues I don't like "usual" dialogues at all, I prefer the artificial dialogues made by thinking and I liked I could give an example, but don't remember now.
Many times these dialogues came into life, not reverse.
People usually don't think in talking, but is it so in films? I don't like it so, too.. That should be thoughtfully unthoughtful in my idea.

Thanks!

Why do you need to learn very, very good dialogue as quick as possible?

For my next project which is now a secret and something GOOD classic movie in a way it is not small, I thought, some how, I want dialogue to take me ahead in stream of film. I don't mean the story, but the small things happening. I need high budget for it, that needs great cinematography, and I didn't find anyone to sponsor me yet... Possibly that person won't come into my life!!

Thanks!

For my next project which is now a secret and something GOOD classic movie in a way it is not small, I thought, some how, I want dialogue to take me ahead in stream of film. I don't mean the story, but the small things happening. I need high budget for it, that needs great cinematography, and I didn't find anyone to sponsor me yet... Possibly that person won't come into my life!!
You do not need to learn this as quick as possible.

You need to take time and develop and learn and grow as a writer. No one
will sponsor you without an excellent, well written script. You won't write
one "as quick as possible".

Do you read scripts everyday? Do you write everyday? There is no quick path
to making a high budget film. Are you prepared for the long, difficult journey?
Or are you only interested in the quick as possible way?

You do not need to learn this as quick as possible.

You need to take time and develop and learn and grow as a writer. No one
will sponsor you without an excellent, well written script. You won't write
one "as quick as possible".

Do you read scripts everyday? Do you write everyday? There is no quick path
to making a high budget film. Are you prepared for the long, difficult journey?
Or are you only interested in the quick as possible way?

I am un-insurant for such a thing. I did software development & learned to work & learn. I wrote many days, but read nearly nothing.
I thought, some of them very nice, some really deep, but at last, my ideas are biased, I love myself. :)

I did it in 20 pages using celtx, can one edit for me here?

Thanks!

A young but earnest Zen student approached his teacher, and asked the Zen Master:

"If I work very hard and diligent how long will it take for me to find Zen."

The Master thought about this, then replied, "Ten years."

The student then said, "But what if I work very, very hard and really apply myself to learn fast -- How long then ?"

Replied the Master, "Well, twenty years."

"But, if I really, really work at it. How long then ?" asked the student.

"Thirty years," replied the Master.

"But, I do not understand," said the disappointed student. "At each time that I say I will work harder, you say it will take me longer. Why do you say that ?"

Replied the Master," When you have one eye on the goal, you only have one eye on the path."

I am un-insurant for such a thing. I did software development & learned to work & learn. I wrote many days, but read nearly nothing.
Then you know that learning to do something very, very good takes
time and dedication. It's time for you to dedicate some time to reading,
isn't it?

II did it in 20 pages using celtx, can one edit for me here?
You don't need editing. You need a complete rewrite. How about this:
You do three more rewrites using the tools you now have from the
people here at indietalk (links and advice) so you can get closer to
the proper format. Post the first 5 pages each time and learn from
the advice.

Then you know that learning to do something very, very good takes
time and dedication. It's time for you to dedicate some time to reading,
isn't it?

You don't need editing. You need a complete rewrite. How about this:
You do three more rewrites using the tools you now have from the
people here at indietalk (links and advice) so you can get closer to
the proper format. Post the first 5 pages each time and learn from
the advice.

Please refer to the link to see downloads and help me with your guidance: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=60448

Thanks!

Watch Quentin Tarantino's movies and become a "people watcher". Observe behaviors, mannerisms, and natural conversation that occurs organically in day-to-day life. It has helped me with my dialog skills.

Back