pre-pro Documentary/short film topic suggestions

Hi I'm a Youtube creator who's been sidelined since February following my mom being diagnosed with cancer & the demonetization of my channel for lack of original commentary.. I created fact based videos on various controversial topics for 3 yrs straight w/majority B-roll footage without any narration whatsoever & it was not an issue until this past Feb.... I'm currently in the process of trying to become reinstated by re branding entirely also by evolving into a documentary channel with more educational based videos.. I believe the implementation of narration in my videos will resolve the "original commentary" issue I'm faced with.. I've brought on a Hollywood screenwriter to write scripts along with a pro voice-over artist. With that said, I'm here seeking opinions & advice on potential documentary/short film subjects I could create videos on.. I'm having issues trying to come up with numerous topics to cover & my existing ideas have been limited such as environmental & endangered species docs/ AI etc...I'm used to shedding light on current political/military events rather than a single topic like this...more importantly the unique unorthadox style in which I create videos w/majority stock footage also is limiting my ideas on potential documentary topics. I may be in over my head as I have no professional film making experience but I accumulated approx 158k subscribers in less than 2 yrs leading me to believe I have the talent to pull it off if I could just produce some ideas in regards to video topics. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know. It should be subjects your have a passion about. I could give you subjects but there would be no point because it are topics that I'm interested in. I also dont know anything about your geographical location. Can I have a link to your YouTube channel?

I've always found showing both sides of an issue to be interesting. People can be so passionate and persuasive, yet have entirely different data sets and completely divergent projected outcomes. But what is really going on?

Then, of course, are the strange bedfellows stories, entirely different people who come together for the strangest of reasons.

My channel is called Global Dayz for the record. Thanks for all the feedback so far every1..keep in mind I want to evolve the channel into more educational based rather than conspiracy based if that makes any sense. So my existing videos don't exactly reflect what I intend on doing not to mention the remaining videos I didn't delete will eventually be taken down before I restart as they don't contain any narration...They've been left public simply to keep the channel active & to try & maintain my subscribers. I want a clean slate & fyi my existing videos are also displayed with my old watermark & channel name as I've yet to rebrand the videos themselves..I've only changed the name & logo so far. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWfHVtawgxz6bs5wOn928KQ?view_as=subscriber

Last edited:
I don't know. It should be subjects your have a passion about. I could give you subjects but there would be no point because it are topics that I'm interested in. I also dont know anything about your geographical location. Can I have a link to your YouTube channel?
I don't intend on creating videos based solely off my personal passions...I will include such topics I'm passionate about but it would be extremely limited I did that. Also my geographical location is irrelevant as I have no boundaries hence the name Global* Dayz...I'm in Florida though if that helps any.

Last edited:
Is there an environmental issue that impacts your immediate area? A toxic waste site, polluted river, bad water, etc? You could shoot your own footage on that and tie it into the wider issue that you've been addressing.

Indeed very much so...I live in Florida & the oceans are being polluted & that's at the top of my list..I'm really trying to think outside the box at this point tbh as I've already determined the subjects I can connect to...

I don't understand your question.

As far as I can see, the topic(s) should be whatever you find interesting. We can't tell you what that is.
Lol I don't understand the confusion but perhaps you don't have the information I'm searching for. Anyhow I'm looking for hot topics to cover in the documentary world. My mind is limited to only so many topics as this is relatively new for me & I only have 1 brain so I'm simply searching for opinions outside of the box from fellow creators & from a viewers perspective & more specifically, filmmakers..maybe this is the wrong website/forum to be seeking these kinda opinions idk but I feel like I keep getting the same answers basically implying that my only option is to generate these ideas on my own...this is merely a survey on potential topics/genres

Last edited:
I don't intend on creating videos based solely off my personal passions...I will include such topics I'm passionate about but it would be extremely limited I did that. Also my geographical location is irrelevant as I have no boundaries hence the name Global* Dayz...I'm in Florida though if that helps any.

Sure geographical location is relevant.... The closer you are to information or a subject the more accurate the information could be. For instance.... I have a better understanding of Geert Wilders and his impact on the entire dutch political landscape ... How could you form a perspective of the situation here? How could you understand something like the Sinterklaas traditie and how its driving the dutch black lives movement? The closer you are to something the more information you have.........because...you are in the middle of it.

Last edited:
I don't understand the confusion but perhaps you don't have the information I'm searching for. Anyhow I'm looking for hot topics to cover in the documentary world.
Well, I'll admit that when I first read your post, I was reminded of all those who post on another forum I visit asking "honeymoon suggestions please" :seeya:

maybe this is the wrong website/forum to be seeking these kinda opinions idk but I feel like I keep getting the same answers basically implying that my only option is to generate these ideas on my own...this is merely a survey on potential topics/genres
Yup - you're asking a bunch of creative people, who live by the ideas they generate on their own (or enhance those of someone they're collaborating with), to do your thinking for you. I can suggest topics and genres, but I can't see how you'd ever make a watchable documentary on the subject using stock footage. But hey, if you want to give it a try here are a couple of "hot topics" from my Saturday night/Sunday morning:
- the role of Napoleonic campaign of the 1700s in transposing the French quadrille into the Irish set dance
- how did someone blowing through a reed result in bagpipes as different as the French cornemuse du centre, the Italian zampogna and the Irish uileann pipes

I made a living for 3 yrs straight compiling stock footage in a creative way that was "watchable" enough to obtain close to 160,000 subscribers so its safe to say I'm not just giving it a try but rather continuing what I've been doing.. given the fact I've created hundreds of videos on numerous topics strains my creative span so to speak on more potential topics.. The only difference in what I'll be doing now is adding a narrator.. I'll let this be my last post though...I got a far better response from my subscribers when polled once upon a time what topics they found interesting... I should've just stuck to their opinions rather than search for ideas from other creators..this thread has become quite comical to say the least. Indeed it would be quite the task to create a documentary on events from the 1700s w/modern day stock footage lol

Last edited:
Sure geographical location is relevant.... The closer you are to information or a subject the more accurate the information could be. For instance.... I have a better understanding of Geert Wilders and his impact on the entire dutch political landscape ... How could you form a perspective of the situation here? How could you understand something like the Sinterklaas traditie and how its driving the dutch black lives movement? The closer you are to something the more information you have.........because...you are in the middle of it.

I'll tell you how I could comprehend such & that's called research...it goes a long way & by no means are the topics I cover going to be limited to my geographical location. I could form a perspective based off investigative journalism. I completely understand where you're coming from relating to knowing more about a topic the closer you may live though to it though if thats the pt you're trying to make. For example though I could create a documentary highlighting the Flint Michigan water crisis although I live in Florida.

Last edited:
I made a living for 3 yrs straight compiling stock footage in a creative way that was "watchable" enough to obtain close to 160,000 subscribers so its safe to say I'm not just giving it a try but rather continuing what I've been doing.. given the fact I've created hundreds of videos on numerous topics strains my creative span so to speak on more potential topics..

I'm impressed. Especially because Florida is not the cheapest place in America to live. I also think that you are right. Its possible to use stock footage in creative ways to tel a interesting story. There are many examples of creators that do this... It is my idea that a story is the strongest when you have a personnel connection to it..... but perhaps that doesn't work for you. I watch't some of your video's and I have a idea for what you are going for.

Ok Subject Ideas.....

How much is the National Debt under each president of the US and who is benefiting from its all? Is IQ research trustworthy and if it is, what could be the implications on a clobal lvl? What the 100 year plan of the Chinese government and how will it effect the world? Debunking of the Stefan Molyneux's anarchist utopia.

Back