Do you work outside of Filmmaking?

It's a very demanding career path. It isn't something that just comes, but at the same time you have to stick with it as long as it takes. The (it) being filmmaking. But at the same time, what do you do for money lets say, while writing? do you have a regular job?

My situation is a bit bittersweet. I landed a great internship for a production company here in NYC, it's an unpaid internship, but the potential is there for paid work. They're set to start shooting a new film in about 3 months, so I figure this is when some sort of paid work will be tossed my way(hopefully sooner). But now, I've come to realize that I need money (as evil as that sounds). Should I just pull through the next couple months and stay on the straight and narrow path, or should I get a part time job?

I've been doing film on and off with off for long stretches for over a decade. I have a full time corporation job that has been shrinking for the past decade with pay cuts where I have to decide to pay bills or eat. I have stood on lines with homeless people to put together enough money to have a 2 liter bottle of Pepsi for the week.

I have used everything I have and made great sacrifices for my present production. If I didn't have an unexpected pay cut last year, things would not be so bad.

I try not to keep all of my eggs in one basket with hopes of making a pilot that can lead to a seriess.

I believe my health problems that are mounting are due to prolonged stress. Stress effects people in different ways. Financial stress is bad.

I'm too old to go back to school with no one to turn to if I fail. I may end up as a homeless person if the stress doesn't kill me first.

My fingers are crossed for a lucky break, but I am expecting the worse.

Get a union job, get vested, retire early. Make films for the rest of your life.

:lol: If only! Mine was a union job. I was vested. Gotta have 30 years in to retire early, or turn 62, whichever comes first. Then I'd get a whopping $2500 a month to live on and make movies. Sounds like a great deal! :yes:

Hang in there, MDM. Wish I could promise you things will get better before they get worse, but I'm tragically pragmatic.

I see many of you, guys, are struggling and I really feel sorry for you... :(
In reference with my previous post, can someone suggest me what to do in order not to end up jobless? Or I'm just too naive like all young people? :/
P.S. Modern Day Myth, is it really that bad? ;(

I see many of you, guys, are struggling and I really feel sorry for you... :(
In reference with my previous post, can someone suggest me what to do in order not to end up jobless? Or I'm just too naive like all young people? :/
P.S. Modern Day Myth, is it really that bad? ;(

I don't know anything about Lithuania, but I can provide advice for someone who lives in North America. First, get any job you can just to get cash in. This will give you a work ethic and confidence to continue. You may want to get an education in a trade like accounting or whatever just to create a cash cow. Then, when you're secure, you can consider how you want to be a filmmaker.

That's what I'm doing, though I haven't made a film yet.

As for the age issues, we're in the 21st century - life begins at 50. You can still go for a new career, though it will be hard work and require painful discipline.

I guess you're aware of the fact that I'm not talking about Indie Filmmaking ONLY? I'd grab all the opportunities there would show up. Anyway, I didn't see any positive answers yet about getting a degree in filmmaking and getting a job in this industry? Has anyone done it?

Anyway, I didn't see any positive answers yet about getting a degree in filmmaking and getting a job in this industry? Has anyone done it?

Some people have, sure. There's not a lot of normal 9-5 clock in steady paycheck jobs in film though. It's gig to gig stuff for the most part. Even if you work for a company, they're working gig to gig.

It's all about you wether or not you make it. If you're crazy ambitious and take every opportunity you get and are talented, you should do ok. A film degree (or any degree) doesn't automatically mean success, gotta get out there and grab it!

I'm one of the fortunate few blessed to be able to have only worked in media since highschool, and I turn 28 this year. I do graphic design here and there too, but overall it's mostly some dort of production work. I started "helping" when I was little, and doing serious volunteer stuff starting in junior high and through highschool. Every summer I'd help out a travelling non-profit for a few weeks working, and eventually leading their video team, and twice a weekI did media stuff at our church. I had enough experience and met enough people that at 18 the summer after high school I got a gig editing for a small show 2 days a week, and running camera or working in a tv truck one weekend every 6 weeks or so. It paid enough to take care of me the year of film school I started, but never finished. From there it's been all freelance work. Some steady, weekly clients, other sporadic one off stuff.

Now, most of the younger guys I led those summers are all a part of our team producing the stuff we want to, and working media in-between. There's like 4 or 5 guys still in school, then a couple that work outside of the production world and all the others are full time production, either clocking in or freelance.

All of us have the same thing in common, LOTS and LOTS of volunteering. That was our education. I did work for free every week for 4 or more years before I got that first gig though. You're young, you live at home and don't have bills, find ANY media opportunities you can and get on it. Anyone that has a regular media program (TV, news, churches, some schools, etc) needs help and has some level of equipment.

I do feel for the (slightly) older guys though, it's gotta be hard. I actually, mostly on purpose haha, have avoided major relationships from highschool and through college and early 20's and just recently started "looking". I knew early on, from observation, that it's hard to have a wife and especially kids and focus on the "dream". Sucks sometimes, but a sacrifice I made... Again, mostly intentionally haha.

Directorik - I really like what you had to say as well. Very, very well said.

Last edited:
Some people have, sure. There's not a lot of normal 9-5 clock in steady paycheck jobs in film though. It's gig to gig stuff for the most part. Even if you work for a company, they're working gig to gig.

It's all about you wether or not you make it. If you're crazy ambitious and take every opportunity you get and are talented, you should do ok. A film degree (or any degree) doesn't automatically mean success, gotta get out there and grab it!

I'm one of the fortunate few blessed to be able to have only worked in media since highschool, and I turn 28 this year. I do graphic design here and there too, but overall it's mostly some dort of production work. I started "helping" when I was little, and doing serious volunteer stuff starting in junior high and through highschool. Every summer I'd help out a travelling non-profit for a few weeks working, and eventually leading their video team, and twice a weekI did media stuff at our church. I had enough experience and met enough people that at 18 the summer after high school I got a gig editing for a small show 2 days a week, and running camera or working in a tv truck one weekend every 6 weeks or so. It paid enough to take care of me the year of film school I started, but never finished. From there it's been all freelance work. Some steady, weekly clients, other sporadic one off stuff.

Now, most of the younger guys I led those summers are all a part of our team producing the stuff we want to, and working media in-between. There's like 4 or 5 guys still in school, then a couple that work outside of the production world and all the others are full time production, either clocking in or freelance.

All of us have the same thing in common, LOTS and LOTS of volunteering. That was our education. I did work for free every week for 4 or more years before I got that first gig though. You're young, you live at home and don't have bills, find ANY media opportunities you can and get on it. Anyone that has a regular media program (TV, news, churches, some schools, etc) needs help and has some level of equipment.

I do feel for the (slightly) older guys though, it's gotta be hard. I actually, mostly on purpose haha, have avoided major relationships from highschool and through college and early 20's and just recently started "looking". I knew early on, from observation, that it's hard to have a wife and especially kids and focus on the "dream". Sucks sometimes, but a sacrifice I made... Again, mostly intentionally haha.

Directorik - I really like what you had to say as well. Very, very well said.

Thanks for the long post, but in Europe there isn't so much job opportunities for children like there is in USA. The are many unemployed 18+ people who don't have a job and if there would be a job, they would get it. There are also no "open" filmmaking project etc. you were talking about for me to volunteer. I even would love to see a production and I'd love to volunteer but it's not like in USA. All I can do is finish uni in filmmaking and hope for the best?

I'm not saying when you put filmmaking second you will never do
it. Many will succeed in filmmaking as a second career. I'm speaking
only from my experience. I'm glad I never had a "real" job or a "day
job" or a back up plan. I can only do one thing so I am forced to find
a job in that field. It sure changes your perspective when you don't
have something to fall back on.

I'm also not saying I make my sole living as a writer or director of
films. So I do have something to fall back on in the strictest sense
of the word. But my fall back jobs are still in entertainment. And
that's because I did not take the advice of getting a degree in a
profession where it's easy to make money - I gained experience and
contacts in the profession I wanted to be in.

I agree it's hard to break out of your career to go into something as risky as filmmaking - or any other risky career. But, if I had chosen film as my first career, I would have been enviously looking at others who had done the smart thing and chosen a safe career - I know myself. So, in the end, I'm stuck either way.

That said, I did take a sabbatical to get another licence, and I'm proud I did it, and I'm learning how to be a producer, so I still have a chance.

Do what I do! Hold more than one industry job! It works in Reno because nothing is union. I'm studying at J-school every day, then on some days I go into studio and run a camera, other days I make commercials, then I use my vacation time and lent equipment to produce my media.

Thanks for the long post, but in Europe there isn't so much job opportunities for children like there is in USA. The are many unemployed 18+ people who don't have a job and if there would be a job, they would get it. There are also no "open" filmmaking project etc. you were talking about for me to volunteer. I even would love to see a production and I'd love to volunteer but it's not like in USA. All I can do is finish uni in filmmaking and hope for the best?

i'm in europe too... and if you know where to look, you will find that in every country there are film productions that need volunteers. It's not easy to find, but they are out there.

I would start on facebook, linkedin, and trying to call your country's movie and tv production companies. If that fails, try youtube and see if there are videos from your country. Then contact those people.

it's all about networking.

Sure you won't get paid, but you should be able to find some volunteer work.

Military here.

This provides a great opportunity, as I go to school free and receive enough $$$$ from uncle sam to fund my future career in film making and writing.

I can afford to buy equiptment and work on film projects.

I also have a small wedding and event videography business which = GREAT side cash

Im about to turn 25 this year.

Its always good to have a steady income, especially if you want to go into film making. You need cash for the dream.

Last edited:

Europe is not a uniform 'island'. The situation can vary from counrty to counrty.

5 Years ago I graduated from artschool as audiovisual designer and started my own business. I'm doing alright :)

While you are still a student: assist on sets and get to know people. Networking is important!
Create your own oppurtunities to show off your skills.
Graduating with awsome projects is a good way to start.

(Too much students only think about doing just enough to graduate, but if you just make the finish, nobody cares.)

Back