• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Do you ever regreat knowing the process?

I worked ten years in live theatre. Even though I learned all the backstage secrets, I still enjoy live theatre. I think it's because getting a crappy play to Broadway or Off-Broadway is difficult.

Before I learned the screenwriting process I could watch any movie, and basically enjoy it. Now that I know the process, I find I hate a lot more movies. I don't know if it's the caliber of movie or my insight. But, sucky movies seem to be the norm.

I don’t know the complete process of screenwriting (Or anything else), but I think I get what you mean in a way. I liken something of this to being a musician or a non musician. A musician can be jaded by proxy and hear the beat, the chord progressions, the bass line etc etc, kind of all as separate entities contributing to a song as a whole. A non musician can do this too, but it’s just not the same technical frame of reference, yet both can be fans of music. I find when watching a movie my mind is running calculations of cause and effect and possible out comes and a number of script elements (Not to mention all kind of lighting, camera, acting, color, sound elements and considerations) to the point of seeing the curve of the script/movie’s earth, and many times this makes endings predictable, and a lot of 3rd acts almost painful to sit through, but I know I have to be a musician AND a fan of music and keep learning screenwriting elements to see, and keep looking for a more interesting, better crafted, wider variety of films to grow from and enjoy.

-Thanks-

Last edited:
I worked ten years in live theatre. Even though I learned all the backstage secrets, I still enjoy live theatre. I think it's because getting a crappy play to Broadway or Off-Broadway is difficult.

Before I learned the screenwriting process I could watch any movie, and basically enjoy it. Now that I know the process, I find I hate a lot more movies. I don't know if it's the caliber of movie or my insight. But, sucky movies seem to be the norm.

I know what you mean, there are few movies that hold my interest nowadays. I can't talk to my friends about the movies they watch because either i wouldn't be caught dead watching them or i hated them form a technical point of view. Through all this however, i would never say i regreat knowing as much as i do, it makes me appreciate the more clever aspects and techniques. Though occasionally I do wish i could turn it off from time to time and just mindlessly be entertained again.

As J. Stewart Mill said: "it is better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a pig satisfied" ;)

Before I learned the screenwriting process I could watch any movie, and basically enjoy it. Now that I know the process, I find I hate a lot more movies.

This happened to a few of my classmates in film school. I swore that I would never lose that heart of a child wonder, when it came to watching movies. This is also why I like oddball movies that break the rules of classic storytelling. I got into a debate with someone who said there was no story, if the main character didn't arc. To me, that's a load of crap. Maybe, I should give up on all the Clint Eastwood classics. :lol: It's nice to see the main character (Wikus) of DISTRICT 9 taking the same journey that Leo DiCaprio's character does in BLOOD DIAMOND. Both start out as assholes, who end up identifying with and saving a father and son, at the end. Kind of predictable, though.

I know what you are saying and I do see the 3 act structure and the little devices writers always use, like always having the protagonist fight the idea of taking that journey that he must eventually decide to go on, to get to act 2. Every scene should have a plus or minus to it, etc.

You know what? Rules are made to be broken, but first you should know the rules, so you can turn them on their head. You should also watch more foreign and indie movies. You'll see less resolution and happy endings, but you will see something different.

I don't believe that knowledge should make one into a pompous critic and hater. I still embrace that state of childish wonder, so I can enjoy the simple things, like STAR TREK remakes, etc. :D In fact, I rarely see a movie that I don't like.

I watch movies from a writer's point of view also. And I absolutely love to see where the writers screw up in the big budget projects. Avatar for instance is very hard struggling to cover up a fundamental problem in the main character.

This Australian acts his part very well, by the way.

I don't know the entire screenwriting process (or the other processes that go into play to make a movie) but one cannot judge the strength of the original screen play based on the final product. As we all know movie making is a collaborative effort and many a great script resulted in not so great movies when the all hands that shape the movies are done with them - Bond Fire of the Vanities, anyone? There are so many other stages along the way that can kill the original story (or morph it) when you look at a movie from soup-to-nuts.

One thing that is true of the bigger projects these days is that because of the high price tags involved now, studios will rarely (if ever) start the entire process with a bad script - see what was supposed to be Spider Man 4, or reference what was about to turn Michael Bay off of the whole Transformers franchise. So the strength of the script does hold some material value in the whole process these days. Do some stinkers sneak past this vetting process? Yup. But smart, diligent and intelligent movie makers (artistic and/or business oriented) will have the integrity and drive to know that there's not much more you can do with a bad script - so make your dream movie at your own risk.

Bottom line? I know a thing or two about the whole movie making process and that still has not done a thing to make me hate movies one bit. I am a bit more sensitive to things than I was before, but I accept those things as learning experiences (of what to do and what not to do in my opinion of what would work for me). When I go to the movies I try to turn all the filters off and just enjoy the whole end product - I go for the wow factor, the entertainment aspect, if you will. If the final product did not wow me, then I leave it at that - one more movie that did not work for me. But if the movie did wow me - story, acting, lighting, visuals, sound, props, wardrobe, anything - I am watching it again, buying the DVD when it comes out, getting my hands on the script doing whatever I can to learn about what the makers did to release such a powerful movie/story and make it all work.

Truth be told, I am about to study a movie that I was not all that thrilled with (The Trueman Show) but I am studying it as a requirement of this great book on directing I am reading at the moment (Nicholas T. Proferes' Film Directing Fundamentals, See Your Film Before Shooting). Not my traditional learning pattern but I also accept that there is something (maybe more than my biases allow me to see) to learn from the things we don't like. But as much as I love Proferes' approach I draw the line at the Bond Fire of the Vanities.

Last edited:
I think that (knowing the process) is a blessing and a curse. You just have to know when to sit back, engulf yourself in the film, and forget about your roots.

I hate most Movies now. I only like '' La cream de la cream'' or somthing more out of norm and experimental. I hate lazy movies made to make money. I like Filmmakers who makes movies as art and know what they are doing.

Knowing the process has given me a more technical POV when it comes to watching film. I do generally like a lot fewer films that are put out now, since I have learned the process. I believe that has less to do with me picking at what others are fumbling, and more to do with studios greenlighting ridiculous projects. Deeper awareness of the studio system is a by product of engrossing my self in film and the business of selling it. Knowing the process is great and I regret nothing with gaining knowledge. I just wish that more FILMS like eternal sunshine and the spotless mind were being made and less MOVIES like Date Movie, Epic Movie, Scary Movie, Dance movie etc. made it passed the greenlight phase.

I think it's just the times. There are bad movies in every era, most movies, plays, books, anything that is ever written is going to be bad or mediocre. That will always be true. But the movies that are made are the best of the stories that are written. So if you don't see anything good, it's not because there are a lot of bad stories out there. It's because there are very few good ones being written by anyone at this time.

Two things working against movies right now, imo, it's a perfect storm:

1. Bubble-era society of the last 25 years. This is not unique to our time, all civilizations begin their decline with an extravagant age. The comedy must be over the top to amuse most of the population, the drama must be very obvious. The people in our society are so used to getting whatever they want. Don't have the money for it? Put it on a credit card. Want to buy a house you can't afford? No problem, the government will subsidize it for you. They expect your storytelling to be obvious because they have been trained in their life to get everything put right in front of their nose.

And, since that's what the audience wants, that's what get's made most of the time. It's a business.

You and I might not want that, but most people do. Everyone I know, I tell them I can never watch a movie with them again. Everytime I watch a movie with people I know, they always pick the dumbest most juvenile films I have ever seen....and they love them.

2. CGI...this happens everytime a new age comes around in film.

The very first movies back in the 1800's were not any good. Who cares if they were good? It was amazing just to be able to make a film. Eventually, the silent films of the early 1900's became an art. The stories and films were good. As soon as sound was developed, movies sucked for awhile. People could tolerate it because it was amazing to hear people talk. Eventually, the stories in black and white films were great. Then color was developed, and you had a lot of very bad color movies. Again, people were just happy to see things the same way they see the rest of the world.

Now we have computer graphics and guess what....the movies mostly suck.

Once the novelty of CGI wears off, and I think it already is to an extent, movies will get better. The economy is not going to get better anytime soon either, sorry to tell you, and you know what, that's ok. You'll have a whole different kind of audience in a few years that is a lot less like Nero and Caligula's court and a lot more like Caesar's and Shakespeare's.

You have to remember...you always have to write for the audience. If you lived in first century Rome or 2000's U.S., chances are good you'd love watching Jersey Shore and Rock of Love and be bored by Shakespeare or Antonioni or Bergman. But if you lived in the 60's or 70's or in 5th century b.c. Greece, your audience would be the opposite. And hell, depending on which kind of era you live in, 99% of writers probably only have the ability to write that specific kind of story, because that is their life experience.

Last edited:
...hmmm for me, if its a movie without any interesting qualitys, now that i understand a lott more then before, i can instead of sit bored, make (in my head) the layouts for the scenes, picture how some scenes would be hilarious to film (like most of jenifers body (picture megan fox trying to make a scary demon face while pretend biting a girl and guys manhood/necks)

no downs, only plus.

i have all ways been very tough on movies.

I don't think gaining insight really damages a person's ability to enjoy a film. At least it's not like that in my case. I do think you can become more aware of what works (for you in terms of what you like as a fan of the medium and then as a writer) and what doesn't. I know I have over the years, but I can still enjoy something if there's an element or two that makes it fun enough to overlook the flaws.

As a writer though knowing what I don't like certainly gives me insight into what I should seek to avoid in my own scripts. That doesn't mean I can't still enjoy the film on some level though.

It really depends. Many times I watch movies to enjoy myself, then I become inmerse in the movie and less on technicalities.
Sometimes, when the movie is more visual then I really pay attention to some of the techniques used to learnt from it. Other times, it's funny to see mistakes and think, hell why do I pay so much attention to that if they can do it with a large budget.

Other times I look from the acting POV. Most times you can notice between a crap acting moment and a good one, regardless of the actors. Still, if the acting is good and sincere, then I enjoy it double.

Back