• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Do films need traditional love stories?

Just got back from The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. It is an adaptation, not a replication of the source material I understand. I thought it was brilliant except the love triangle. It felt so tacky. I know PJ's Lord of the Rings lifted Aragorn and Arwen's love story out of the background. I think, since the success of Titanic and its tragic love story / epic approach to storytelling that it is expected to draw in a crowd?

I tried to show an ex-girlfriend Glory once and she didn't care for it. Why? Because it lacked a traditional love story between a man and a woman.

I'm working on a screenplay at the moment. The leading female character is idolised by her best friend, who lacks the courage to confess his feelings to her. Since seeing TDoS I'm starting to think that maybe it's becoming a cliche, I'm going to explore other avenues that aren't so traditional. Or perhaps its always been part of the main elements of making a crowd-pleasing movie and 'if you can't beat them, join them'

Any thoughts?

:lol: That's a great The Big Lebowski clip, Chimp!

Thanks, Rayw. =)

I've had more help in this forum than I ever did at University, and I was taught by someone who wrote with Monty Python.

It's spec.

Say whah? .......

Now, you do realize that you must tell us who this Monty Python writer was/is, right? :yes:

Sorry for the late reply but with it being NYE... anyway!

Log line v1.0

Samantha Marcus is a normal twenty-four year old, however she has a life-altering secret that will cause her whole world to come crashing down in seven days.

The writer was... hang on... Bernard McKenna. I made him laugh at something I wrote... my biggest claim to fame!

Sorry for the late reply but with it being NYE... anyway!

Log line v1.0

Samantha Marcus is a normal twenty-four year old, however she has a life-altering secret that will cause her whole world to come crashing down in seven days.

The good... a time limit

The bad... don't use a last name, don't make her normal, and if you are worried about being cliche, then "life-altering secret" and "world to come crashing down" aren't the way to go.

Check this:

http://www.writersstore.com/writing-loglines-that-sell/

From that:

"Logline #1 - The extraordinary story of a thoroughbred racehorse - from his humble beginnings as an under-fed workhorse to his unlikely rise and triumphant victory over the Triple Crown winner, War Admiral.

Logline #2 - A 17th Century tale of adventure on the Caribbean Sea where the roguish yet charming Captain Jack Sparrow joins forces with a young blacksmith in a gallant attempt to rescue the Governor of England's daughter and reclaim his ship.

Are you getting the hang of it so far? Here's a few more:

Logline #3 - After segueing from a life of espionage to raising a family, Gregorio and Ingrid Cortez are called back into action. But when they are kidnapped by their evil nemesis, there are only two people in the world who can rescue them... their kids!

Logline #4 - Toula's family has exactly three traditional values - "Marry a Greek boy, have Greek babies, and feed everyone." When she falls in love with a sweet, but WASPy guy, Toula struggles to get her family to accept her fiancée, while she comes to terms with her own heritage.

Logline #5 - A young man and woman from different social classes fall in love aboard an ill-fated voyage at sea.

Answers:

1. Seabiscuit
2. Pirates of the Caribbean
3. Spy Kids
4. My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding
5. Titanic"

Love stories are a must... and depending on what genre you are shooting the more or the less cheesy it has to be.
In a horror it can be a light romance between two characters and in a drama it can be more intense.

Love stories help binding the audience... also makes it easier to get involved.

A love story doesn't always need to be between two genders or involve sex... it can also be "replaced" with a special relationship (non-sexual-kind)... like let's say between a human and his /her best friend a dog.
The love and desire from one character to another is a very important element and can improve every written story by 100%.
It is also very helpful when writing a script... it fills and inspires.

Last edited:
Back