Disney's $350,000,000 fart

No, I didn't see it and probably won't. Maybe (maybe) when it's on Netflix in a few weeks I'll consider. :lol:

'Ishtar' Lands on Mars

NY Times

LOS ANGELES — In 1987, shortly before the release of “Ishtar,” Columbia Pictures realized the film was going to flop in catastrophic fashion. But rather than cut advertising spending to minimize the financial damage — as the studio’s top marketer advised — Columbia did the opposite, pouring even more money into ads.

The reason? The studio was desperate to stay on good terms with the two stars of “Ishtar,” Warren Beatty and Dustin Hoffman. “Ego trumps logic in Hollywood,” said Peter Sealey, who was Columbia’s marketing chief at the time.

Studios have repeatedly pledged in the 25 years since to modernize their clubby business practices, but the more Hollywood promises change, the deeper it seems to fall into its ruts — as evidenced by “John Carter,” a big-budget science fiction epic from Walt Disney Studios that opened Friday and flopped over the weekend. Disney spent lavishly (some say foolishly) on the movie in large part to keep one of its most important creative talents happy: Andrew Stanton, the Pixar-based director of “Finding Nemo” and “Wall-E.”

“John Carter,” which cost an estimated $350 million to make and market, and was directed by Mr. Stanton, took in about $30.6 million at the North American box office, according to Rentrak, which compiles box-office data. That result is so poor, even when factoring in about $71 million in overseas ticket sales, that analysts estimate that Disney will be forced to take a quarterly write-down of $100 million to $165 million.

Profitability for “John Carter” was always a steep climb. Because of its enormous cost and the way ticket sales are split with theaters, analysts say the film needs to take in over $600 million globally to break even. The only silver lining for Disney may be a dubious one: last March the studio’s “Mars Needs Moms” flopped so badly that it also required a write-down, making year-on-year performance comparisons less brutal.

In recent weeks, as a weak marketing campaign failed to generate audience excitement for “John Carter,” Robert A. Iger, Disney’s chief executive, made it clear in conversations with senior managers that he would not tolerate finger-pointing; this may be a colossal miss, he told them, according to people who were present, but it’s the company’s miss and no individuals would be blamed — including Mr. Stanton. Learn from it and move on, was his message.

On Sunday, Rich Ross, chairman of Walt Disney Studios, said in a statement, “Moviemaking does not come without risk. It’s still an art, not a science, and there is no proven formula for success. Andrew Stanton is an incredibly talented and successful filmmaker who with his team put their hard work and vision into the making of ‘John Carter.’ Unfortunately, it failed to connect with audiences as much as we had all hoped.”

Mr. Stanton declined to comment for this article.

It’s true that no one mistake created “John Carter.” Still, interviews with current and former Disney executives paint a relatively stark portrait of responsibility, starting with Mr. Stanton and extending to studio managers — many of them inexperienced in their jobs — who gave him creative carte blanche. Although Mr. Stanton was promised independence, his contract did not give him what Hollywood calls final cut, or complete control over the finished film.

Mr. Stanton received a green light to proceed on “John Carter” in 2009 by Richard W. Cook, then Disney’s studio chairman. There were red flags from the beginning.

Mr. Stanton had never directed a live-action movie before. He wanted to cast no-name actors. And the screenplay, based on Edgar Rice Burroughs’s 1912 novel “A Princess of Mars,” was a bewildering mash-up, starting during the Civil War and moving to the Old West before leaping to a planet called Barsoom (Mars), home to tusked, four-armed creatures called Tharks.

But Mr. Stanton passionately lobbied to make the movie, and there was a compelling argument to say yes, Disney officials said. His story pitch was simple and gripping: “Indiana Jones on Mars.” Big payoffs in the movie business typically come from big gambles, and the thinking among some at the studio was that this could be Disney’s “Avatar.”

Moreover, Mr. Stanton, whose writing credits include “Monsters, Inc.” and all three “Toy Story” movies, had a strong track record with difficult material. People were skeptical about “Wall-E,” about a computer that doesn’t talk, but Mr. Stanton turned it into a blockbuster with over $521 million in global ticket sales. There were also prerelease doubts about “Finding Nemo,” which took in $868 million. Both won Oscars.

Didn’t he deserve the benefit of the doubt?

If Disney gave Mr. Stanton rope, he certainly ran with it. Accustomed to reworking scenes over and over at Pixar, he did not take well to the usual constraints of live-action — nailing it the first time — and went back for at least two lengthy reshoots. “The thing I had to explain to Disney was, ‘You’re asking a guy who’s only known how to do it this way to suddenly do it with one reshoot,’ ” he told The Los Angeles Times. “ I said, ‘I’m not gonna get it right the first time. I’ll tell you that right now.’ ”

Mr. Stanton leaned heavily on his colleagues at Disney-owned Pixar for guidance, paying less attention to input from people with experience in live-action filmmaking, according to people who worked on the movie.

To be fair, though, Disney managers did not have a wealth of live-action experience on which to draw. Mr. Iger had fired Mr. Cook (for reasons unrelated to “John Carter”) and replaced him with Rich Ross, a television executive. Mr. Ross, who arrived shortly before Mr. Stanton began filming, had never overseen production of a big-budget movie before. Mr. Ross hired lieutenants who were also inexperienced in managing filmmakers, notably Sean Bailey as head of production and MT Carney as marketing chief.

Supporters of Mr. Ross concede that he faced a steep learning curve, but insist he had no choice but to let Mr. Stanton proceed; “John Carter” had been in preproduction for a year by the time he arrived. They pointed to Mr. Ross’s recent decision to shut down production on Gore Verbinski’s “Lone Ranger” remake until costs were cut as evidence of standing up to strong-willed directors — and jolt the studio out of its rut — when necessary.

Regardless, when push came to shove on “John Carter,” Mr. Stanton usually got his way. One area in which he exerted his influence was marketing, where he frequently rejected ideas from Ms. Carney and her team, according to people who worked on the film.

He insisted, for instance, that a Led Zeppelin song be used in a trailer, rejecting concerns that a decades-old rock tune did not make the material feel current. Mr. Stanton also was behind the selection of billboard imagery that fell flat, and he controlled an important presentation of footage at a Disney fan convention that got a chilly reception.

By the time “John Carter” had its Los Angeles premiere last month, the film had suffered months of ridicule on the Internet and had taken on a funereal aura. “I’ve never had something healthy get treated like a corpse,” Mr. Ross told Variety. Mr. Stanton brushed off skeptics at the premiere, saying, “You just gotta trust us.”

Reviews were not as blistering as some expected, but they weren’t good, with critics calling the film a hectic hybrid of other movies: “Avatar” meets “Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace” meets “Gladiator” meets “Prince of Persia” meets any of John Ford’s westerns. Mr. Stanton has two “John Carter” sequels planned, but those ambitions are now almost assuredly derailed.

If Mr. Stanton has any comfort, it may be that he keeps good company in the trophy-movie-gone--wrong hall of fame. Baz Luhrmann is there for “Australia,” along with George Lucas for “Howard the Duck” and Michael Cimino for “Heaven’s Gate.” And, of course, Mr. Hoffman and Mr. Beatty for “Ishtar.”

Those critics that did not like the movie John Carter (which is actually based upon the novel A Princess of Mars - 1st of 10 -- that was released as a novel in 1917 -- written in 1912) obviously DID NOT read the pulp novel (or series). Those behind the cameras, directors, writers and the many artists involved with the production obviously did. Like me, they had a love for the stories, the characters and the plot. They decided to stay as true to the novels as Peter Jackson did with his LOTRs films.

Unfortunately, those Burrough's books have been copied by every Sci-Fi adventure film since 1917. And now, after all those years, (and waiting for CGI to catch up for believability) the first novel has been captured, extremely well into a movie. Yeah, there is a few weaknesses in the story, because time has changed OUR sensibilities AND because those stories have been copied so many times by everyone, from Harryhausen to Lucas to Cameron.

I just came back from seeing John Carter in 3D. Having been a fan of the books, I applaud those creative artists in front and behind the cameras for following the book so closely. I was thrilled to see the landscapes and flyers and ancient cities of Barsoom brought to life. But, most importantly, I loved experiencing the story for the first time. Again. John Carter in it's first opening weekend has made world-wide, a little over 100 million dollars. I know that I will see it again with my wife and son next week (wife is visiting her mother).

I know we will buy it in BluRay 3D when released. Yes, I am biased in favor of the movie. I enjoyed it from opening to final scene. I expect, that it will make it's 250 million dollars back (never heard anywhere that they spent 350 million). And hope there will be a trilogy.

Flicker Pictures wrote "Reviews were not blistering as some expected, but they weren’t good, with critics calling the film a hectic hybrid of other movies: “Avatar” meets “Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace” meets “Gladiator” meets “Prince of Persia” meets any of John Ford’s westerns."

The movie follows the original novel extremely well and is very well done -- don't knock the film until you see it. So for those critics that have their heads up the butts -- if you ARE going to say negatives -- at least understand that those negatives ARE THE STORY as written by Burroughs in 1912... and faithfully captured to film.

I enjoyed John Carter a lot... great action, locations, effects -- I give it a solid A.

No, I didn't see it and probably won't. Maybe (maybe) when it's on Netflix in a few weeks I'll consider.

What a world we live in where a movie is declared dead 3 days into its release, especially by someone who has not even seen the movie.

I have not seen it yet, but there are those rare instances where good buzz can increase the box office after the initial release. It is rare, but possible. Several people I know who saw it said it was really really good.

I know, I'm terrible! But if someone wants to buy me a ticket I'd happily join them. :D

Still have yet to see Sucker Punch, too.

I hope whatever buzz John Carter gets puts more people in the seats.

Andrew Stanton is a smart guy and I think he will make a good live action film but we've all known that John Carter was going to flop for months.

The fact that it's opened in 2nd place behind The Lorax (on its second week of release) says enough. This'll be straight out of the cinemas which is a shame, I guess, because obviously a lot of time and love went into it. It's just a shame that the whole thing is too silly and that the target demographic for the film (12-16 yo boys) have never heard of the source material.

The problem is with the promotion.

All the trailers made it look like a knock off of Attack of the Clones. But after I saw a ten minute teaser clip that Disney put out last week, I thought it started to look a LOT better.

Also, they should have taken it out from under the Disney banner and put it under Touchstone or another company since Disney hasn't had a good track record with live action stuff, or stuff based on Mars...

I'd go see it based on the good buzz alone...

I was actually discussing this yesterday. If this was any other year, I'd be all over this film. However, there's a TON of geeky movies coming out in then next three months, and I can't afford to see everything I'd like to. So John Carter gets a pass until it comes out on dvd.

That said, a friend of mine saw it and she enjoyed it, so I'm sure I'll probably like it when I get around to seeing it. Either way, 350 million is a LOT of money.

And I *like* Howard the Duck, damnit! ;)

From what I understand, the film/story is pretty good - but the trailers completely suck.

Apparently, a fan trailer caught the attention of a bunch of critics as being far better than the studio trailers - it explained the movie better, who John Cater was and the films/stories it had influenced - and the studio came out with something similar shortly thereafter. But, probably, too late.

gelder

I watched Australia... was alright, not something I will sit through again.
I never could get through Howard the Duck -- really bored me from the get go.
Guilty, I liked Heaven’s Gate, just a tad too long, like Wyatt Earp & Waterworld (Kevin Costner's vehicles) .
Hated Ishtar.

I am not a geek. I am 6-5, 230 lbs. and extremely athletic for 61 years of age. AND. I truly dug the movie John Carter.

So enough about it being a geek movie!

I thought Lynn Collins was awesome as Dejah Thoris -- never thought for a moment that she was acting -- drop dead gorgeous -- she had me believing Dejah Thoris was real from her opening scene. A sign of quality acting!

Taylor Kitsch did bring back the Frank Frazetta (http://frankfrazetta.org/ look of the book covers in the 60's & 70's but never fell to the Arnold-brute-Conan... Thank you very much casting director (A+) ... Kitsch's only flaw was that he had the Jonah Hex syndrome for a tad too long. When he warmed -- he was at his best.

The real meaning to whether a movie is good, bad or ugly -- do you feel that you are watching a movie or are you totally caught up in the story? The John Carter story is tough due to it's dated concepts and having been copied by so many stories that followed it's conception.

But to call it derivative is a cop out. A cheap shot.

The hard to believe story (Princess of Mars) does work -- if you allow yourself to sink into the story (forget all the controversy and BS). See the screen and hear the audio, let the magic that these really fine artists in front of the camera and behind the camera create. Due to the story and the way it is presented (adaption) -- I rate this film higher then Avatar, and close (in quality) to the first LOTR. If a trilogy follows for Burroughs Martian series (I hope it does) -- then better judgement can be made.

My 2 cents. Don't knock a movie UNTIL you have experienced it. I watch 10 movies a week. Read 2 - 4 scripts a week.
Most are crap. Few are highly imaginative. John Carter is the only FRESH romantic-adventure-sword movie to be based upon (and follow) a story originally printed (as a short pulp) in 1912. A HARD challenge for the writers and film makers.

IT IS WORTH THE RIDE. See it on a big screen. Then talk about what's wrong with the movie.

But I highly recommend the film. Not for geeks, but for those that love great stories... and awesome (challenged) film-making. I also loved LOTRs...

Just read:

From the L.A. Times -- Based on a century-old character created by author Edgar Rice Burroughs, "John Carter" was meant to appeal to young males. But a surprisingly older crowd turned up to see the movie this weekend, as 59% of the audience was over age 25. Those who saw the film -- a 64% male contingent -- assigned it an average grade of B+, according to market research firm CinemaScore.

NOT a geek movie...

Also -- where is it written that the budget was over 350 million? I have only seen 250 million.

Hope that John Carter gets word of mouth like 6th Sense did.

The Rotten Tomatoes consensus says:

While John Carter looks terrific and delivers its share of pulpy thrills, it also suffers from uneven pacing and occasionally incomprehensible plotting and characterization.

I'm not going to comment on whether or not it's a geek movie, the prime fact remains that it has been mismarketed and, in my opinion, you can't make money from a film where your primary audience is unaware of the source material (unless it's an animated, out-and-out kids flick).

Just repeating what I already posted:
Don, I'm glad you enjoyed it! If it was true to the book(s) then it should make the fans happy, even if it tanks commercially. Who knows? It just came out. Maybe it will find its way out there.

$250mil to make + $100mil to promote = $350mil

I really DO hope it entertains an audience hungry for this type of movie and that, when all is said and done, the film makes tons of money and surprises everyone's expectations.

Bad reviews aside, the trailers didn't connect with me, but as I initially mentioned, maybe I'll catch it on DVD down the road. Just wasn't something I felt the need to rush out and spend $12-15 on.

Back