• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Disappear a man in white

okay..here's the scene. a man is standing in front of window. suddenly some rays come through the window and the screen gets white slowly. during the same shot, the room gets back to the screen as it was but the man will be seen nowhere.

so, shall i do it post? or shall i use some lights to do it in production? I' gonna use dSLR to shoot.

You could probably do the first effect in camera by just going a bit over exposed. Combine that with a bit of tweaking in AE and you can probably get the desired effect.

To make him disappear just have a take where he's not in the frame which you can fade back in after the white out effect. :)

okay..here's the scene. a man is standing in front of window. suddenly some rays come through the window and the screen gets white slowly. during the same shot, the room gets back to the screen as it was but the man will be seen nowhere.

so, shall i do it post? or shall i use some lights to do it in production? I' gonna use dSLR to shoot.

I would do a combination practical and post production effects. Not certain I totally follow your plan, let me see:

Man in front of window, normally exposed (we can see him nicely along with the room, window back-lights him and could be either blown out (white, no detail) or exposed so we can see outside as well as our hero.

Light "rays" (in quotes here cause that can me a lot of things stream in through the window behind our hero - this takes him into silhouette briefly (correct?) before the entire screen burns to white and the FLASH!

Back to our normally exposed empty room?

lmk if that is sort of what you are thinking.

My initial guess is that you want a great big light source outside, as it is ramped up during your effect, iris pull to silhouette the figure. This is your main shot. Your first plate is the shot without the man, with the room normally lit (the end) and your other plate is the window with bright light without the man in front, might even do the iris pull with him in frame and without to give you some wiggle room.

If you want the effect of "Rays" you will want a hazer of some sort so that the light that spills around your silouetted figure will have that volumetric effect you are seeking.

As far as details on how to proceed from there: composite the shots to taste and clean up the results. I'm no expert but at first guess that's how I would propose shooting it with whoever my effects guy might be.

Then we'd work out the kinks because he would say - Okay, but if there is any match moving we have to do X Y and Z. Or something.

There are probably easier/faster post-only ways, but I'm a believer in practical effects whenever possible working in conjunction with post effects.

If you have after effects or premeire pro you should be able to dissapear him easily with a cross-dissolve effect. the light on the other hand I think you should do with the camera.

If you can film it on a sunny day i think it could be really easy to do. Shoot it normally so that you can see everything you need in frame and nothing is over exposed, then open the iris up as much as possible so that the light from outside over exposes your shot giving the effect of extra light.

I might shoot something like this today to give you an example of what I mean.

Possibly fade three separate shots together.

SHOT 1: Charater at window, introduce blinding light with real million-candle spotlight outside, or whatever you wanna use.

SHOT 2: An ISO forced overexposure of the scene without the character.

SHOT 3: Normal exposure of scene without the character.

Experiment a fast cross fade where the scenes abut, scene 2 shouldn't last very long at all.

Might have to still have an overexposed transition shot between SHOT 1 & 2 with the character barely visible.

Okey doke Mahdy!

Here's a whirl at trying to create the effect.
Actually, it's four whirls!

(Don't turn on your speakers. There's no audio).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEOf7D4OzH4

Just noticed the white section flashes all the way out to the edge of the frame, beyond the box of the active video.
It's a secondary issue, but something to make a note of.
I dunno.

What you could try to do, if you have a lens with aperture ring, expose for the shot with sunlight coming through the window and. Expose for the shot at something with F/11, then go down the lost you can! You will hopefully get some nice flares whilst stepping down your aperture and then it will be blown out white in post.

Another option, go to your lowest aperture, about 800 ISO and normal shutter. If you have sunlight, the image should be drastically overexposed. What you do then, take a Fader ND, use it to compensate for the shot, give it a twist and your image will turn white. You can do it as fast as you want!

Then, just step out the frame, dont fiddle with the camera and roll about 10 seconds of clean footage, with the person out of the frame. Step the aperture back up again or use the fader ND to get back to normal.

Thats how I would do it!

-Phil

Back