Directing as a career

Hello

I am on my journey to becoming a full time director, and I was wondering can you make a real career out of it.
I want to be a full time filmmaker, but i am also realistic, that at my age of 33, I should probably
try and get a real job. Which I may add, I would hate. Any advice or feedback would
be great.

Last edited:
Hey man, welcome.

I think there's a lot of people here in the same boat. Have you directed anything yet? Shorts, Features, TV Shows etc? Generally, no one will hire you just because you call yourself a director, you have to prove it on your own dime first.

Absolutely, but I don't think age should slow you down. It's good to be realistic, but at the same time you shouldn't let being thirty-two stop you from trying in the least.

If you want to direct - then get out there are start directing your own work. Make sure you can keep paying your bills and afford to do your projects.

You do not need to own a camera, find someone in a similar boat who wants to DoP and with whom you can work. This might take a bit. Good chance they will know other crew people as well.

Can you write? Not that you have to be able to, but it is going to make your life easier starting out if you can write short scripts and then execute them. Anything. Spec commercials are a great way to build your narrative skills. Telling a compelling story in 30-45 seconds is a LOT harder than it sounds. Also, this gives you a reel of the type of work that will net you the largest margin in the future: Advertising. Music videos are another good one to cut your teeth on; largely because it means that you have an automatic audience for your work - the band and their friends and family and (hopefully) fans.

Build a semi-consistent crew. Remember them, if one of them hooks you up, then hook them up whenever the chance comes along. And so-on. The dead-beats won't be able to keep up the pace and will get filtered out. The rest of you will all come up together.

Finally, forget about your age. Realism is important - but in this case age isn't as much of a relevant factor as you think. I work with a gaffer who started this industry at 30. I didn't finish college until I was almost 30, and didn't start freelancing in production until I was 35.

Also, I am of the opinion that the Key creative positions are best filled by people with as much life experience OUTSIDE of film production as possible. This being your (at least) 2nd career gives you that much more background from which to draw inspiration.

Hello

I am on my journey to becoming a full time director, and I was wondering can you make a real career out of it.

Many have. Tens of thousands - most of whom you have never
heard of. But they make a living. If they can, so can you.

Excellent advice so far. I hope your journey to becoming a full
time director means you are making several movies a year. Have
you considered theater? Excellent experience there, too.

Hi thanks for the advice folks, to answer some questions i have directed a short film.
i am now about to shoot a music video, which i am really looking forward to.
Theatre really excites me and I hope to do something in the new year. I
have drawn up a plan, and if I can stick to it, fingers crossed i can
get somewhere.

What do you mean by "if" you can stick to it?

You want to be a full time filmmaker. That isn't a
matter of crossing your fingers and hoping for the
best. You must stick to your plan.

You've directed a short film. Now do 6 more in 2011
while you find the right script for your first, no budget
feature that you will shoot in 2012.

To be hired as Director

Well Free-lance Directors are far and between, meaning that you need to decide what you want to Direct and really find a style for yourself.

Ridley Scott Directed hundreds of commercials, and worked as a set Designer for many years before he Directed Alien.

Most Directors take years of making film before they are considered by other productions to Direct,

Best advice would be to write, Draw, and make hunreds of films.

Many ways to skin that cat. Years of dues paying grinding out commericial, industrial, etc work is one way, but not the only way. A small amount of high quality work that gets progressively better until it can't be ignored has been done in the past.

Directing Career After 33?? You're Killing Me, Man.

I too, would love to have a directing career with a decent, bill paying, child supporting income. I've made one short, with another coming up in summer. Would like to do at least one more short film before tackling a feature.

And dude?.... I'm 53!!!

Don't get me wrong, I think if you have talent and work hard, you have plenty of time. And may we both find success.:)

Back