• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Digital Root Films website

I redesigned my website over the past week and would like some feedback on how it looks. It is a .webs.com url because I can't afford/need a .com domain presently. This link is here.

Any and all feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

Nice, I'm just going to be honest and tell you that the .coms look a lot more professional and trustworthy. Just from a marketing standpoint people believe .coms are safe secure and reliable.

I'd be wary of putting a definitive pricelist online, and ditto for the availability calendar. Having "prices from…" is probably a good idea, but if clients expect too much for the money or you forget to update the calendar you might end up putting too much pressure on yourself or end up with pissed off customers.

I realise this is a completely different field, but having worked as a web developer for a while (both freelance and in-house), it didn't take long to realise that customised quotes probably get both the customer and contractor a better deal in terms of expectations, time and earnings.

I like the old logo (your avatar). Get the domain name and forward it to the free hosted site.

Thanks for all your input!

Indietalk: that was two copyrighted images combined in paint, can't use that :no:

L.I.F.E: I am 13, I don't have enough customers to even think about getting a domain name. I understand and respect what you are saying though.

chilipie: Can you explain? should I start it low, and say from $low.00 to $high.00?

Hah! Your like me when I was your age. I'm 19 and own a few businesses and let me tell you that .com is well worth the money. It's only $10 and it really helps make you look more legit. Also if you haven't already you should get business cards made. (vistaprint.com will do like 250 of them at a time for free you just pay for shipping.)

If you need help with marketing advice you can always PM me and we can chat. I'm very good at low budget marketing.

Any help would be great! I do have business cards, I just grab the Avery templates and design them.

I would love to discuss some low budget marketing ideas with you.

Some ideas:

Go get a YouTube channel, with your company name. (free).

Upload some event(s) that you've actually done. (If you have nothing yet, then create one)

Embed samples of your media work into your website.

Btw, are those prices based on actual local area numbers? Also, can you actually deliver what you say? (Even your basic package says it's a 2-camera setup)

Good luck with it! I wish I'd started as young as you. :)

Some ideas:

Go get a YouTube channel, with your company name. (free).

Upload some event(s) that you've actually done. (If you have nothing yet, then create one)

Embed samples of your media work into your website.

Btw, are those prices based on actual local area numbers? Also, can you actually deliver what you say? (Even your basic package says it's a 2-camera setup)

Good luck with it! I wish I'd started as young as you. :)

Thanks Steve! I have an HF100, my older brother has a lower quality DSLR that I "rent" from him for the wedding videos. I am looking into getting a T2i so I can have my own 2 cameras. The prices are not based on local area rates. THe local rates are probably WAY higher. I saw this one company that charged about $500-1000 more on each package than I do. I am okay with this putting into play my age.
I have one video, I locked it though because I haven't "finished" it. I have a rough cut, but I want to work with it more. Thanks for the advice! I do have a vimeo account and a youtube account, both in my companies name. Do I need to link them to my website/link my website to them vice versa?

I do have a vimeo account and a youtube account, both in my companies name. Do I need to link them to my website/link my website to them vice versa?

No, you don't necessarily have to link them... but they make hosting video files extremely simple, especially as your free/temp host you have likely has a tiny amount of space. (Enough for your HTML pages & some images) If you have a video file on YouTube, you can get the "embed code" for that video, and add that to your HTML page - voila, video on your free site!

You should be hitting up your school's extramural activity teams/clubs/whatever, and off to make small little video segments for them. A brief interview with the football coach, and some players. A day in the life of the chess club. Get a few words from the principal about issues, like bullying or whatever. If you go to a local church, volunteer to make little videos about trying to raise money for whatever it's doing. Anything & everything.

This will build the confidence & skills you'll need for furthering your event videography career, and probably more importantly, get people to remember you. 'Cos at some future point, there's gonna be two people planning a wedding and thinking about having it recorded... and they'll start askin' their family & friends if they know of anyone... and if you've actually been doing it, people will remember that and seek you out.

As always, great words of wisdom!!! I can't thank you enough! I am very involved in a local church and am interning with them. This will give me a better feel of how they do video work. I have edited a couple of videos, (Here's the link), for them, (only 1 posted), and have done a fair amount of design/graphics for them in photoshop. The school that I go to is a private Christian school so that means limited things, less sports(no football), almost the same coach for the sports (we do get to know him well though ;) ) and no clubs or anything. Next year I will be doing a couple of promo videos for the school's website and will be shooting school events such as talent shows, christmas plays, ect. This will make me some dough :D and get experience. two of my three favorite things, filming and the internet :lol:

My parents know a lot of people giving me some good publicity and free advertising (maybe I should extend the list to 4). My family is big- 7 total. Everyone knows our name in the town (exaggeration) and they know I can do techy stuff.

Awesome free video hosting idea!

Thanks,

Back