Did you know?

The other day I ate a Reuben sandwich. I'm not nuts about corned beef, don't like sauerkraut, and thousand island is around my seventeenth favorite dressing. But I like Reuben sandwiches. Go figure.

Anyway, it occurred to me that among the many little things I don't know, have never known, but vaguely think i should know, is this: What the hell is corned beef? What the hell does corn have to do with it? Do you know?

And so I finally, after probably decades, decided to find out.

Wikipedia:
Corned beef, or salt beef in some Commonwealth countries, is salt-cured brisket of beef. The term comes from the treatment of the meat with large-grained rock salt, also called "corns" of salt. Sometimes, sugar and spices are added to corned beef recipes. Corned beef is featured as an ingredient in many cuisines.

And now I know.

Last edited:
week GIF

It's the entourage effect with Rueben sandwiches. You really have to strike the exact right balance and get every ingredient right or it doesn't work. I've seen places make kind of a "Rueben of convenience" with white bread and ranch dressing, and they are just terrible.

Ahhh. Cool :). But did you know about the corn part? I had always kind of pictured some process with some meat that somehow involved, well, corn.

Anyway. Next: What the hell is Spam? (Not really asking; I do get the google where i live. :))

Last edited:
I'm waiting for ChatGPT5 or ChatGPT6, arriving thursday and saturday respectively, so I can just tell the robot to figure out what I'm going to google the next day, and have it just print a bespoke newspaper for me each morning about the topics I was going to become curious about later that day. Feels like that could save a lot of time.

as a notation, I'd like to append the following educational material relating to days of the week,

I've been up for 20 hours on 3 hours of sleep, and once I wrote this, I discovered that I had no idea what I was replying to or what the reply was about. Then it came back to me that this whole sandwiches was about Rueben thread. I probably need to sleep.

ok, I think I've got it, you were talking about googling things, and I use GPT to google things now, and then...... ok, still doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
But did you know about the corn part?

Yes, indeed. O'er this side of the Atlantic, we have a range of nouns that continue to see service in an alternative context to that which evolved on your side. Diaper is one of my favourites. As a visit to any linen mill (or museum thereof) in Northern Ireland will tell you, a diaper is the most expensive square of premium quality linen you can buy.

But you guys let your babies s**t on it. :eek:

Sorry, you were talking about sandwiches ... :lol:

Last edited:
But you guys let your babies s**t on it. :eek:
Ha. Reminds me of a bar/restaurant a guy I knew opened that he called Bogies, because he was a fan of Humphrey Bogart and the movie Casablanca. A British friend thought this was hilarious. To him It was like calling a restaurant Snot.

Wait, what were we talking about?

Last edited:
Well, if we're going down that rabbit hole, when it was The Done Thing for most young Irish to emigrate as soon as they collected their degree diploma, a veterinary graduate warned us to be wary of linguistic traps if we opted to cross the Atlantic.

Proud of securing an internship in one of the big veterinary schools in the US, he headed into his first solo consultation full of Irish good cheer and in his thickest Irish accent addressed an anxious cat owner: "Right Missus, let's have a look at your pussy ..."

A summons to the Dean's office duly followed. :secret:

Back