Demo Reel 2020, I am looking for suggestions if you have any!

Rate from 1-5

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
1) Don't use music you don't have the rights to use.
2) It plays like a music video not a reel. Images to a popular song, no dialogue, no context. We know nothing about your directing from this.
3) A lot of the shots are very dark.

I paused at 1:40 and the kid in the center of the screen is staring right at the camera.
to be fair its just a glance but still

its like there is something running at him from out of the woods earlier but the tone of the song didnt match the tone of the scene at all
focus on some sort of story element and evoking an emotion from it. and pick a song to match that emotion.

Last edited:
I paused at 1:40 and the kid in the center of the screen is staring right at the camera.

its like there is something running at him from out of the woods earlier but the tone of the song didnt match the tone of the scene at all
focus on some sort of story element and evoking an emotion from it. and pick a song to match that emotion.
Thank you! I'll do that!

This question will help others comment on your reel.

Why do you need a reel? In other words, what do you look to gain out of creating it?

2) It plays like a music video not a reel. Images to a popular song, no dialogue, no context. We know nothing about your directing from this.
This question will help others comment on your reel.

Why do you need a reel? In other words, what do you look to gain out of creating it?
I created a demo reel because I thought it will help me land a directing job and also become more accepted as a filmmaker although I am only 14 years old. I would like a directing job because it means that I will gain a lot of experience in managing a big budget and also I will get to work with professional actors, etc.

Thank you for the comment again! I redid the demo reel keeping your advice in mind, I shared it at the top if you have any more helpful suggestions.

Thank you for the comment again! I redid the demo reel keeping your advice in mind, I shared it at the top if you have any more helpful suggestions.

So you're only 14 years old so we're not asking you the same result as someone who has been working in the film industry for ten years. So this is already good for your age. Seriously!
So, I watched the video, I could give some technical advice but I think there would be unnecessary.
My only advice would be to avoid handheld camera. Since we are all limited in budget, (especially kids like me 😅 ) none of us have access to materials that can avoid camera shaking. So, If you didn't do it yet: BUY A TRIPOD :). You can easily get a cheap one for $20 on Amazon that will do the job. Your shots will be smoother and would look more professional. Because it's on a tripod, it doesn't mean that your shots will be now boring. You still can do camera movements like pan, tilt, etc. Trust me, this will definitely improve your work.
So now get to work! Hope to see your next demo reel for soon :)

Last edited:
I see this as more of an exercise. Good on you for making a reel! Now you know how to make one. Keep working on films, THAT is the real resume. Just like a resume in real life. What counts is the experience. So keep making films so that reel gets even better. Then make another. Keep at it man!

I see this as more of an exercise. Good on you for making a reel! Now you know how to make one. Keep working on films, THAT is the real resume. Just like a resume in real life. What counts is the experience. So keep making films so that reel gets even better. Then make another. Keep at it man!
Thank you! I will!

So you're only 14 years old so we're not asking you the same result as someone who has been working in the film industry for ten years. So this is already good for your age. Seriously!
So, I watched the video, I could give some technical advice but I think there would be unnecessary.
My only advice would be to avoid handheld camera. Since we are all limited in budget, (especially kids like me 😅 ) none of us have access to materials that can avoid camera shaking. So, If you didn't do it yet: BUY A TRIPOD :). You can easily get a cheap one for $20 on Amazon that will do the job. Your shots will be smoother and would look more professional. Because it's on a tripod, it doesn't mean that your shots will be now boring. You still can do camera movements like pan, tilt, etc. Trust me, this will definitely improve your work.
So now get to work! Hope to see your next demo reel for soon :)
Will do! I was planning on using a steady cam I got for my birthday for my next film!

I created a demo reel because I thought it will help me land a directing job and also become more accepted as a filmmaker although I am only 14 years old. I would like a directing job because it means that I will gain a lot of experience in managing a big budget and also I will get to work with professional actors, etc.

That’s trying to move the wrong direction. You land a directing job by working your way up and already having experience. The director also isn’t the one who manages the big budget - that’s the producer.

This is great practice, and a good foot off the ground. Keep practicing and refining. Meanwhile, start learning how to assist with the camera department wherever you can. You may start off as a PA, but hang around the camera department enough and ask questions (when appropriate, so as not to be an on-set distraction or to neglect your PA responsibilities) and absorb and learn. That can get you a foot in the door to move into the camera department.

And practice directing your own, independent and no-budget projects as often as you can.

Side note: it’s already been pointed out, but you didn’t fix it in your new version. Don’t use copyrighted, unlicensed music. If it’s not yours, and you don’t own it, and you haven’t gotten permission to use it, it’s theft. Plain and simple. While YT has changed how it handles some mainstream music usage, it shows that you, as a filmmaker, aren’t willing to do your due diligence. There are plenty of places you can license music, legally, for cheap or for free. Do your part to support the people who create the materials you want to use.

Last edited:
Youre building up some tension now and thats a huge improvement!

I started working toward my career when I was your age but i wouldn't even think about jobs until youre 16.
have a childhood and enjoy this part of your film making journey without all the responsibility.

create a story that you love and then try not to be discouraged when other people dont understand everything you tried to communicate with your film. just keep on creating and learning because its a long road that you cannot sprint down.

Back