Deathworld: Mascots

So far, only Cracker has mentioned bringing pets, but I'm going to add one in as well. This thread is just for discussion of anyone that has additional pets they want to bring, allergies we should be aware of, etc.

I thought that we should get a mascot specifically for the project, something that I would want to hang out with, and would be good for morale. Found it. Basically a mini leapord.

There is a new breed of domesticated cat called a Savannah Cat. They are about the size of a collie, highly intelligent, domesticated, and can leap 15 feet into the air and grab a bird in mid flight when full grown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAccwnJtWKs

The only downside I see is that these cats provide a clear and present danger to any clean laundry from what I've seen across several videos of different ones. Must be a genetic thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp9uRFdhfok

Having owned and operated rental houses for over a decade - cat p!ss soaks down through the carpet, pad and into the subfloor & concrete that only cost prohibitive chemicals even begin to address. We're talking more than just a feq periodic squirts of Febreeze, here.

All it takes is one animal to start a literal p!ssing contest among others.
Advise against "free range" cats, even when box trained.

Having owned and operated rental houses for over a decade - cat p!ss soaks down through the carpet, pad and into the subfloor & concrete that only cost prohibitive chemicals even begin to address. We're talking more than just a feq periodic squirts of Febreeze, here.

All it takes is one animal to start a literal p!ssing contest among others.
Advise against "free range" cats, even when box trained.

7 acres of land and marble floors, fixed!

Bobspayneutercopy.jpg

Savannah cats are really cool. I've got a similar breed, just smaller and bred from an Asian Leaopard Cat, it's called a Bengal. Really silly and cute.

But I'm not sure about the idea of buying a pet to be a mascot for a single film. I mean, cats live anywhere from 15 to upwards of 25 years. Who's gonna take care of it after the project is over?

Bobspayneutercopy.jpg

Savannah cats are really cool. I've got a similar breed, just smaller and bred from an Asian Leaopard Cat, it's called a Bengal. Really silly and cute.

But I'm not sure about the idea of buying a pet to be a mascot for a single film. I mean, cats live anywhere from 15 to upwards of 25 years. Who's gonna take care of it after the project is over?

Oh, you misunderstood, I'd keep it for as long as it lived. I just haven't been able to have a pet for some years, and getting a rural property is my first chance to own one again. I plan to buy this house once the film is over, 3 years from now.

43781798.png

Venus (foreground) will melt anyone's heart. Boba (background) is a rough-and-tumble man-child of a dog, and extremely loyal.

I also have a kitten (Jean-Luc), and he's adorable, but I didn't mention him before, because I have a friend who wants him, and I think I'm realizing that I'm better suited as a dog-owner. I like cats, they're cool, but Jean-Luc isn't getting the attention he deserves from me.

One rather important thing about mixing cats and dogs -- one or the other needs to be very young, when introduced to the other. An adult cat, introduced to adult dogs can be a very sad mix (and it's the cat who loses). The dog just wants to play, but the cat lives in fear. A small kitten, introduced to adult dogs, however, that's an entirely different story, altogether (Jean-Luc adores Boba).

Nate, just to be sure, you may already know this, but there is definitely a distinction between a serval and a Savanahh cat. Sounds like a cool breed, though. :)

Hey don't waste budget on BUYING a pet mascot (I'm sure something great can be had for free and will be destroyed otherwise). Besides, you need some big hairy spiders, snakes and lizards for mascots, I mean 'cmon its DEATHWORLD not KITTENWORLD. :)

So when everyone is on set or out on production, will there be someone hanging around at the ranch to help keep the peace with the dogs, cats, ferrets, and chinchillas? Might need to add "Ringleader" and "Zookeeper" to your list of duties, Nate. Or suppose you can delegate someone as Production Pet Professional. ;)

So when everyone is on set or out on production, will there be someone hanging around at the ranch to help keep the peace with the dogs, cats, ferrets, and chinchillas? Might need to add "Ringleader" and "Zookeeper" to your list of duties, Nate. Or suppose you can delegate someone as Production Pet Professional. ;)

Very true. You can pay people to pet-watch, but still, it's worth mentioning.

There will always be someone at the house. You can't leave a house like that unattended. I suspect it will be 2 and 6 rather than 1 and 7. I think so far it's just Cracker's 2 dogs (awesome dogs by the way) and my potential cat of the future.

Most of the time production will be local though, we plan to build several substudios on the property, landlords willing. Right now there are stables and a rec building which will probably end up being our studios and greenscreen room.

Last edited:
Back