Death to Importing Video?

Something I'm curious about --

All of the software I've used, up until this point, required that you import a clip into your project. If it was footage on tape, you had to of course capture it, which would still be the case, obviously. But for clips that already exist on your hard drive, although you didn't have to capture it, you still had to import it.

On CS5, that's not the case. Every single media file on my entire computer is available in any project, through the normal heirarchical windows file-system. I can pull up and preview any file, from anywhere (it's pretty rad).

It's been many years since I've used Premiere. I'm wondering if this is a new thing, or if it's been a standard feature for some time. And what about other programs? Do you still have to import footage in FCP and Avid? Sony? Edius? Does anyone even use Edius?

via Bridge?

What's that?

You know that window for media clips? The one that shows every clip you've imported and/or captured into a project? In CS5, it shows my hard drives. I can open up a hard drive to see all the folders. Then, I can open up a folder to see any files and/or sub-folders, etc. Everything is there; it's as if I've imported my entire computer into each project.

12bdb44ed9d8c5f35f489748831d73e89db4d52d.jpg

If you take a look to the very lower-left corner in this pic, where
it says "public documents","public downloads", etc. -- Your entire
computer is in there. I've never had that in any software I've used
before, and I'm just curious which (if any) other programs have that.

This part is standard.

I'm not entirely convinced that we're talking about the same thing.
I've used Vegas (recently), and if it has the same feature, it's hidden
well-enough to get past me. Compare the two screen-shots. In Sony,
the only clips available to you are those that you've imported. It doesn't
have direct access to your entire computer.

scr-sony-vegas-pro.jpg

P.S. There's a point to all this, other than mere curiosity. When I finish editing the 1st rough
cut of "Antihero", I'm gonna type a tutorial for the most basic editing techniques, for all the
newbs on this forum. And so, this inquiry of mine is relavent info, in that respect.

Thanks.

Oh, Media Browser. That's in CS4, yah. I can check CS2 on Sunday, if you want.

If you like that, you'd probably like Bridge (part of the CS suite).

Cool, thanks. Perhaps it's in Vegas as well, as Grand Upper says, and maybe
I just never had that window open. No need to check CS2, but thanks. Good
luck on your shoot tomorrow!

I use Vegas 8 and it's got the same thing. If you notice though, it's not like everything has actually been imported, but once you place something in project media or the timeline, it imports.

I do like the convenience of being able to browse my computer from within the program, though :)

I still use Premiere Pro 2 and AE7. So far, all of the assets I've used were directly compatible. And I capture from my miniDV camera directly into the program.

Adobe Bridge is mainly for managing and organizing assets.

More recent versions have several more codecs built-in so it isn't necessary to transcode them to a compatible format. But with Premiere Pro 2, WMV, MPG, JPG, BMP, AVI, MOV are all natively supported. MKV isn't, for example. Neither is m2ts. Even Windows 7 requires downloadable codecs or third-party applications to read these files.

It's not surprising that Adobe would evolve to support more formats.

Last edited:
What is going on when you have the file on your HD is the NLE is creating some index files ( err.. computer gobblety gook ) that the NLE will use every time you load the file. Running Cinelerra in Linux, the program creates index files on each file I load into the timeline and saves them in a folder called /.bcast .

I that what you are referring to ?

Last edited:
Back