Dealing with whiny actors

I've had to deal with winy/annoying actors several times in the past. I'll probably have to do it again in the future, so do you guys have any advice on how to deal with them? Maybe stuff along the lines of how to make them not whiny and or how to not get annoyed by them.
Anything helps, thanks dudes!

This is totally the correct way to handle things : linkage

You're welcome.
smiley_tiphat.gif

yeah it's fantastic.. bad title though, sounds like it's for people that don't have any friends :lol:

i used some advice out of that book almost verbatim once and got my transmission repaired for free, after the warranty had already expired. saved me more money than any book i've ever read

Woah! I just started reading it, and now I know I'll finish it :D

Are you working with real actors? Are you working with people who've commited to making this a major creative endeavor in their life? Or are your "actors" just the friends/family whom you've been able to convince to join your production.

If your whiny actors are friends/family, then the way to deal with them is to just stop working with them. If your whiny actors are actual actors, then I suspect there might be a greater problem.

This is a broad generalization, but I find actors to be a rather gung-ho, fun-loving group of people. I promise I mean no disrespect by this, but if you're working with legit actors, and they're whining, there's probably something majorly wrong with your on-set production management.

Are you working with real actors? Are you working with people who've commited to making this a major creative endeavor in their life? Or are your "actors" just the friends/family whom you've been able to convince to join your production.

If your whiny actors are friends/family, then the way to deal with them is to just stop working with them. If your whiny actors are actual actors, then I suspect there might be a greater problem.

This is a broad generalization, but I find actors to be a rather gung-ho, fun-loving group of people. I promise I mean no disrespect by this, but if you're working with legit actors, and they're whining, there's probably something majorly wrong with your on-set production management.

No, it's just my family/friends. Not all of them are like this, just a few. And I already stopped working with them :P
Thanks for the advice man!

Acting for film is extremely rewarding, but it is not for everybody. Even actors who may have performed onstage for ten years might find they don't like film acting and all that is required of it.

Actors who have done a lot of film or video work tend to be very enthusiastic and supportive as long as they are fed well and have a very clear expectation of what is required of them.

If you are working with actors who do not have a lot of experience in front of the camera, the best thing you can do is communicate very clearly, before the shoot, what it is going to be like.

For instance, believe it or not, people who have never been on a film shoot before have no idea how long it can take to get the lighting right, even if you have an experienced gaffer. They also don't understand why the sound guy will suddenly make the entire shoot stand still while he figures out a hum that they can't hear with their naked ears.

Experienced actors get used to all of this. But there are still adjustments as one progresses up through the levels of filmmaking and acting.

For instance, an actor may have a lot experience on camera, but only in commercials and industrials for which they only had half-day shoots. So, he or she might not realize what an 8-10 hour shoot is like.

Another example: An actor may have acted in 8 or 9 short films and had day parts in some features, but then have no idea what it is like to be cast as the lead or strong supporting character in an indie feature. Suddenly, this actor has to get used to the rigor of shooting five eight hour days in row, with scenes out of order from the script, and one of them a night shoot with only twelve hours off until the next call time.

As an actor, I know there seems to always be a learning curve at each new level I've progressed to.

Of course that's a possibility.. but there are plenty of big name actors with really bad reputations

meg ryan, shia lebouf, megan fox…

No, it's just my family/friends. Not all of them are like this, just a few. And I already stopped working with them :P
Thanks for the advice man!

Cool, it sounds like you're working it out!

Yeah, working with friends/family as actors can be difficult. In my experience, it requires A LOT of enthusiasm on your part, and you kinda have to expect half of them to just completely flake on you. We do what we gotta do, so if friends/family is all that you've got, then make it work! But I do think you'll have much greater experiences if you can move towards working with more "serious" actors.

Best of luck! :)

I acted in a feature last year and they shot really fast to compensate for actors not being use to a vigorous set. They shot all the scenes each in about 2-4 hours, and did not spend much time on lighting or getting the sound right. The lighting and sound kind of sucks as a result, but you may be able to do better while still working faster, depending on how good you are.

Acting for film is extremely rewarding, but it is not for everybody. Even actors who may have performed onstage for ten years might find they don't like film acting and all that is required of it.

Actors who have done a lot of film or video work tend to be very enthusiastic and supportive as long as they are fed well and have a very clear expectation of what is required of them.

If you are working with actors who do not have a lot of experience in front of the camera, the best thing you can do is communicate very clearly, before the shoot, what it is going to be like.

For instance, believe it or not, people who have never been on a film shoot before have no idea how long it can take to get the lighting right, even if you have an experienced gaffer. They also don't understand why the sound guy will suddenly make the entire shoot stand still while he figures out a hum that they can't hear with their naked ears.

Experienced actors get used to all of this. But there are still adjustments as one progresses up through the levels of filmmaking and acting.

For instance, an actor may have a lot experience on camera, but only in commercials and industrials for which they only had half-day shoots. So, he or she might not realize what an 8-10 hour shoot is like.

Another example: An actor may have acted in 8 or 9 short films and had day parts in some features, but then have no idea what it is like to be cast as the lead or strong supporting character in an indie feature. Suddenly, this actor has to get used to the rigor of shooting five eight hour days in row, with scenes out of order from the script, and one of them a night shoot with only twelve hours off until the next call time.

As an actor, I know there seems to always be a learning curve at each new level I've progressed to.

I want to give you some virtual cookies :)
Thank you very much, that is all super legit advice and I will totally use it :D

Cool, it sounds like you're working it out!

Yeah, working with friends/family as actors can be difficult. In my experience, it requires A LOT of enthusiasm on your part, and you kinda have to expect half of them to just completely flake on you. We do what we gotta do, so if friends/family is all that you've got, then make it work! But I do think you'll have much greater experiences if you can move towards working with more "serious" actors.

Best of luck! :)

Unfortunately, at my current level I just don't have the reputation (or budget) to work with serious actors. I can only hope that that time will come soon.

Unfortunately, at my current level I just don't have the reputation (or budget) to work with serious actors. I can only hope that that time will come soon.

I'm with you, man. I've been there, and I can tell you that you just need to keep working at it. For me, the breakthrough came from the 48HFP. So many people want to take part in that event that you can get "serious" actors to work on your film, even if you have little experience and no reputation. The 48HFP is an interesting combination of filmmaking that is both taken seriously and not seriously at the same time. It's seriously silly filmmaking. That being the case, I think a lot of people go into it with a who-gives-a-shit attitude. That bodes well for inexperienced filmmakers, as you might be able to work with people who wouldn't otherwise give you the time of the day.

One thing that might be good, skeblik, is to become involved in other people's productions as an actor so you understand from a personal experience point of view what it takes for an actor to perform and that way you can find better ways to work with actors as a director.

This is totally the correct way to handle things : linkage

You're welcome.
smiley_tiphat.gif

That's brilliant.... hahahaha. That link is crazy.
I love David O Russell. And I've read about some of his crazy stories. But this is the first time I've seen him in action. That was great. Thanks.

Actors will stop whining, if you are able to communicate to them in some form, that you know what you're doing. Also be nice to them, if you don't pay them. Free coffee/donuts/breakfast etc. should be part of your budget, if you are able.

Cheers.

Back