Cutting SAG Out

I've heard that working with a SAG actor can kill your film if it's not a SAG project. Is there any language that can be put in a contract to override SAG? I mean can I get an actor to give up their SAG rights while they are filming?

The person mentioned that they later revealed themselves to be SAG and wanted the company to pay them wages for what they had already done. I'm not sure how much of it was myth vs. reality, but I won't be signing any contracts with SAG, so I guess we'll move forward and let him play the role.

The person mentioned that they later revealed themselves to be SAG and wanted the company to pay them wages for what they had already done. I'm not sure how much of it was myth vs. reality, but I won't be signing any contracts with SAG, so I guess we'll move forward and let him play the role.

There is not contract you can come up with that will touch on every,
single, unethical, underhanded, unprofessional, dishonest or dishonorable
thing some people might pull. Even if this story is completely true; if you
have a standard contract that states exactly what the pay scale will be
and you honor that agreement, then a SAG actor cannot extort higher
wages later. In order for you (the producer) to be in breach of a SAG
contract (including wages) you have to, in writing, agree to follow all the
SAG rules.

If an actor ever revealed themselves to be a guild member after signing
a non guild agreement and asked for more money, I would simply send
a copy of the non guild agreement to SAG. Let them deal with their
member.

Wow...the only reason you would use a sag actor is for box office draw? Come on? Really? If you're hiring non union actors you are hiring (on average) amateurs. Sure there are a handful of amateurs that get into the union early, but they usually pay dearly when they don't have a resume to back having union status. If you're hiring an actor that isn't union...you're hiring an actor who is doing whatever they can to become union. So even the good non union ones are doing whatever they can to get in.

Yes you can find good non union actors...but that actor's goal is to join the union because that is the only way to make a living as a working actor. Word of warning...if a union job comes along out of nowhere in the middle of your non union shoot...do you think your non union guy wouldn't jump at the chance to go do that other tv one liner? Its not professional but I've seen it happen because they want that card.

With more experience that actor will become union. If you're hiring 20 non union actors for your film...how many are going to be good actors? How many of them will have worked on set? Hell how many will be passable? I'm not saying its not possible...but you get what you pay for.

How often do you go on ebay and get an almost too good to be true deal? Once in a while, right? Same goes here...if you're not hiring pros...once in a while you can grab some great finds...otherwise you're praying that you can edit out anything that isn't great...
It's simple. You audition them. In Los Angeles there's PLENTY of good non-union actors. I don't know where you are doing your casting. There's droves and droves of people in LA who want to come in to audition. Never had a problem with finding talented non-union actors. And on the flip side there's also a lot of SAG actors who can't act their way out of a wet paper bag! Of course their goal is to join the union. So what??? Have them sign a deal memo. Simple. Of course you have backup actors if they flake out the last minute. 1 out of 10 actors flake out at some point before your shoot. Just have backup choices.

I added the following so it's 100% clear that this is not a SAG project.

7.ACTOR hereby acknowledges that this contract is a non-union contract and further acknowledges that this contract does not meet or conform to any union contract requirements or guidelines.
a.ACTOR hereby acknowledges that this contract does not meet or conform to the requirements and guidelines set forth by the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) and is in no way subject to said rules and guidelines.

I'm also having them initial each section of the contract to acknowledge that they read each section. The contract is about 4 pages with everything clearly spelled out.

Back