• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Cutting Echo, Bringing Voice Forward in Post

I recently did a buddy a favor and filmed his wedding, which was held in a huge church. I wasn't planning on using the audio from the ceremony anyway, but I figured I'd check on here first to see if there was any way I could salvage the very hollow sound. And, I know, I know, good audio can make up for a bad shot but a good shot can never make up for bad audio. But like I said, never meant to use it anyway. But if there's a way I can do it through FCP or something like Audacity, I'd like to see if I can't save a little bit of the audio. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Getting rid of that roomy sound is one of the toughest audio gigs there is. It can be made less noticeable with judicious use of EQ and downward expansion; sometimes noise reduction can help a little.

If you don't want it to sound like it's in a church, don't have the wedding in a church.

Nothing will be able to effectively remove that echo.

That's like asking:

I shot my movie over-exposed on film. How do I lessen the burnt out spots?

If you don't want it to sound like it's in a church, don't have the wedding in a church.

Nothing will be able to effectively remove that echo.

That's like asking:

I shot my movie over-exposed on film. How do I lessen the burnt out spots?

Great advice. I'll be sure to talk my next friend out of having his wedding in a church. Maybe I'll tell him to have it in a sound studio instead. The fiancee will love it. Thanks again for the help.

My point is that there is no way to not have sunlight in your shot if you're shooting outdoors.

There's no way to not have echo on your recording if you're in a church.

I bet you used the camera mic and were back about 50 feet from the altar and auto-gain was on so your levels are distorted to hell and so everything sounds like your 3rd grade talent show in that echoey gym your dad filmed with a handicam and it's mic...

Well, next time I'd place mics a bit closer, lapel-mic the minister if he'd let you or hide an SM57 on his altar for christ sake.

Last edited:
Back