Currently in Production... (what are you all up to now?)

This is a great thread! It is...

Half news
Half plug
Half excitement
Half motivation

...and time for math lessons, adding those halves up!

This thread topic is a great idea to be restarted every month or so, one might think. Where are you now? 8)

I am about to start Pre Production on a Crime thriller that a few friends and I wrote for Drama class, its ripping off Reservior Dogs, The Crow and about every other crime movie, but it doesnt matter, we're just filming for fun and the play we did of it rocked, so we hope to make it better on film.

I'm currently in pre-production for my first feature "film." I elected to write and shoot a war film so I am really going to be pushing my skills and budget on this one.

The original script was based on the experiences of Lt. Clebe McClary, a US Recon Marine in Vietnam. However, since I don't have a very "Vietnamish" (does that count as a word?) terrain to work with (http://www.weet.us/pics/scout1.html for some location scouting images [very large!]) I was forced to rethink my plot while attempting to keep the emotion and dramatic feeling in the new screenplay.

As of now the screenplay has been finished. I based it around several real events that took place during NATO airstrikes against the Serbian army in Kosovo. I got the idea from a news report that mentioned various jobs of the marine Force Recon - including damage assessment, traget illumination and deep recon.

The budget currently stands at 5,000 USD though I am still hoping to drag in some more funding before shooting commences.

The current plan is to shoot miniDV. I'm hoping to get my hands on an ENG camera (looking at the Panasonic AG-DVC200 as it is one of the cheaper models) but I'm not sure if that will happen... If so I would like to shoot on DVCPRO 50 if the budget will allow it.

Things are changing fairly rapidly at the moment so I'll be sure to keep you guys updated. I hope to have all editing and SFX done by mid March 2005 but that might be pushing it... we'll see I suppose :)

I am penning the first draft of a screenplay for my epic short film Once Upon a Time in Seoul. I plan on doing a location revision and then a talent revision before the final draft/shooting script. I am looking to start shooting on Mini DV in August.

It is basically an action film I came up with to learn the ins and outs of my Canon XL1s. The plan is to complete it by year's end and then produce another film before my time in Korea is up in May 05.

I guess I should explain what I meany by "epic short film".

The idea behind calling it an epic, due to the numerous locations (in initial draft) the film, if paced correctly should almost have an epic feel to it. Vast landscape shots throughout Seoul mixed with some interior work mixed with a good plot should be able to produce this feel. It is a thin line to walk and much balance that needs to be attended to. Consider it an experimental short to begin with. I am trying to keep it between 20 to 25 minutes.

By the time I finish the final draft of the screenplay I may drop the "epic".

The story, as it stands now, focus' on three people in Seoul who are being manipulated by a man on the phone who only speaks in aphorisms.

I will post the website address when it's complete.

Back