• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch curiosity

Hi all!

Wanted to share a short (SHORT) animated film I finished today. It was really an experiment in paper cut-out style, but I decided to go ahead and do some foley, get creative with the titles, and do some post work.

curiosity_still.jpg

Video here:
http://www.vimeo.com/18975041

It was a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy!

Test or not a test the style is excellent. I thought that it looked really great, what are your plans with regards to this 'experiment'?

Test or not a test the style is excellent. I thought that it looked really great, what are your plans with regards to this 'experiment'?

Thanks, Nick!

I just wanted to see how it looked overall, and it turns out I'm pretty pleased with the aesthetic.

So now I'm hoping to do some longer stuff, with more complete characters. (ie. animatable mouths, hands, etc.)

I really appreciate you checking it out and giving your feedback!

I'm DIGGING these tests, Frank! Even though they are short clips they show a lot of promise for longer length pieces. :)

Not that the style is similar, but did you see The Book of Kells? Amazing film. Definitely worth a look.

Thanks for posting.

Gorgeous style, I think the combination of practical artwork and digital animation is brilliant. Would love to see whatever else you come up with in the future!

Hi, everyone!

Thanks a TON for the positive feedback! It's really encouraging and I'm happy to hear that others find the style interesting. :)

I went out recently and picked up various textures of paper and have started sketching a couple more characters, along with backgrounds, trees, props, etc.

Also, I'm planning to incorporate some animated texture in the next one...

ie. I've drawn the characters multiple times and will apply those frames as animated textures playing on loop at something like 12 fps or less. ...this way, the character has a certain energy even on held poses, since the texture and the edges of the character are a bit jittery.

Again - big thanks to you all for the responses!

I'm DIGGING these tests, Frank! Even though they are short clips they show a lot of promise for longer length pieces. :)

Not that the style is similar, but did you see The Book of Kells? Amazing film. Definitely worth a look.

Thanks for posting.

I've heard of Secret of Kells but haven't seen it. Looks like Netflix has it on Instant Download, so I'll check it out tonight. :) Thanks for mentioning!

I was so freakin' disappointed when it ended after 10 seconds.

This is actually a compliment... I like your style and wanted the film to keep going. I wanna see what you're able to do next.

I saw your other computer animation test. Just as good. I know nothing of animation, so let me ask you this: how long did it take you to do both of them?

Thanks, Gabriel! ...and sorry for the disappointment! Ha! Like I said, I'm hoping to do some longer stuff soon. :)

Curiosity was basically done in an afternoon.

I tend to work in a "straight-ahead" style, just blowing through and setting keys every frame or so. Probably because I come from a stop-motion background, where the character is generally posed and shot at least every other frame (if shot on "twos") or in some cases, each frame.

So there was no planning or anything like that. I just went with it.

Plus, I'm using really simple characters.

Rendering didn't take too long either as I wasn't doing any fancy stuff, computational-wise.

It's amazing what you did in that short amount of time. You brought me in and it looked great. Call me disturbed but I did laugh when the bomb went off. The entire thing was amazing. Make more and post them

Michael: Thanks for checking it out, and taking the time to comment!

Ernest: Thanks, man! I've got hopes to develop that. It's actually kinda "freeing" to animate in that style... no overly-complicated rigs... easy to pose, etc. Lots of fun! ...just gotta get the story ideas going. :huh:

Back