• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Crowd Funding

Hello all.

Many of you will know me from these forums. I have tried to give as much help and advice as I could under the proviso that I am still learning myself. I have learnt so much from all of you and that advice has been invaluable to getting to the stage I am at so quickly in my understanding of different things.

However, now I must ask for help once again. I am about to film my first movie and I am using a New Zealand crowd funding platform to try and raise funds. The lowest amount you can pledge is under $5 in todays exchange rate.

Any help in this endevour would be hugely appreciated, even if you just copy the link onto your facebook and ask your friends to share it too. While this doesn't put money into the movie coffer, it does promote my film before we even start shooting, and gives time for a larger international fan base to form so that when we do release the film, hopefully there are people waiting to watch it.

I appreciate any help I could get.

Thanks

Matt

https://www.pledgeme.co.nz/projects/1777#_=

Matt, you need to give more details on the pledgeme site and a video.

I did a word count: 305 words yet you're asking for 10k.

Unless you have lots of connections (or a wealthy few), I don't see how you can raise 10k without more info and a good video.

Matt, you need to give more details on the pledgeme site and a video.

I did a word count: 305 words yet you're asking for 10k.

Unless you have lots of connections (or a wealthy few), I don't see how you can raise 10k without more info and a good video.

Fair point. I did think of a video, but my gripe with it is that I don't want to be like every other pledge desiring person that puts up a video of themselves talking about what they want or need. Those videos are generally quite boring. Would a show reel of what I can achieve perhaps be better?

Also yes I did not write a whole heap of stuff because I felt that people would not want to read a 2 page novel on everything to do with...what they want is a quick run down of what they are pledging to. Perhaps NZ culture is different in that way but over here we tend to say less when it comes to asking for something. And for most of us, asking for something feels quite uncomfortable.

Last edited:
So you could have potentially 2,000 names listed for thank you in the credits. interesting.
I have no experience crowd funding

So you could have potentially 2,000 names listed for thank you in the credits. interesting.
I have no experience crowd funding

Potentially yes we could have 2000 names listed. That would be a little unfortunate but in all honesty if it gets the movie made...I'll do it with a smile on my face.

How about a breakdown of exactly what you plan to spend the money on?

There are 2 big fees that we will need to pay. One being Colour grading by an expert, and the other is a full sound mastering service with a film score to match.

We are also aware that there will be fuel costs in getting to and from set locations etc. And food for my volunteers.

Good luck in your campaign. $10k is a lot to ask in one of these campaigns. I'm going to suggest that you do more research in what people expect to see in a film crowd funding pitch and what elements successful pitches have.

That concerns me...

To put it into perspective. Sometimes the US dollar is almost double what ours is depending on the exchange rate. I don't want to make a crap movie but the colour grading alone ,I am getting a guy in the US to do it, is approximately $2,500 US dollars. In New Zealand dollars that puts it at over 3k at the moment and right now our exchange rate is strong. Further, things cost more here. I can go on ebay right now, with our exchange rate being good right now, and build a computer at just over $1000 US, that same computer here (using a computer only as an example) would cost Just over $2000 US dollars here or in New Zealand dollars around $2,300.

New Zealand is an island. We pay more because we have less competition for each product/service.

10k in NZ would allow me to make a great film and get the colour correcting awesome. In the end though, If I get no pledges, I will just color correct myself and the movie will lose a lot of its potential beauty. The sound is no different, with no money, I will just try to do it myself and it won't sound as good which would be a shame. But if it comes to that, then that is what I will do.

Last edited:
My point was simply that you said this is your first film.. but you're seeking crowd funding. That doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

*shrug*

My point was simply that you said this is your first film.. but you're seeking crowd funding. That doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

*shrug*

Aah was it you that wrote somewhere else that it is better to save the crowd funding for your third or fourth projects onward?

Whoever it was...

I really took that point into consideration. I thought it made a lot of sense to NOT crowd fund on the first project. However, at the same time I came across the colour grading, and sound issues which I researched. You saw my post on monitors which was part of exploring the possibilities. I priced it all up ie grunty computer, monitor, setting up room for editing etc. It was out of my league. I researched further and got put onto someone that does good work at a price less then setup costs...still expensive but better. So I decided that was probably my better option. But it still takes money. I want my film to look the best it can so...

FFP, consider building your resume a bit without paying thousands of dollars of other people's money on a professional correctionist first. Get many of your biggest mistakes out of the way before you burn bridges with potentially useful connections.

FFP, consider building your resume a bit without paying thousands of dollars of other people's money on a professional correctionist first. Get many of your biggest mistakes out of the way before you burn bridges with potentially useful connections.

Yea that was the basic thought of the poster I mentioned above, that crowd funding on the first project was a big mistake because it could possibly burn investors if your movie sucks ( and mine could suck of course, it is possible) however, in as much as this is MY first movie. I have other directors helping me and it is by no means their first movies, so I feel that perhaps a lot of the learner mistakes will be avoided anyway.

There are 2 big fees that we will need to pay. One being Colour grading by an expert, and the other is a full sound mastering service with a film score to match.

Wow... You should get experience doing a few shorts first.

It's crazy paying money for color grading and "full sound mastering service with a film score to match" for your first project.

Your first project should not be a feature. It should be a short and a cheap one.

Shoot a few shorts. You'll learn so much from that.

Once you have experience you'll then be able to wisely use that 10k.

Now, is far too early.

Going straight into a feature as your first project will swamp you... Film making is a complex beast.

Indie

Its my first film that I am making for the PUBLIC.

I have been playing with film privately for over 5 years.

I don't do shorts. I cannot write or imagine shorts. They annoy me as they are so tiny. In short, I kind of hate shorts.

Majority of crowd funded films are mainly funded by friends/family with some other people joining once the initial money starts pouring. When you make a campaign that doesn't have a video,do you really expect people who don't know you to give you money? Can't you ask your friends/family directly face to face? Save a % cut from the crowdfunding platform.

Back