Crisis... SD card error

So, while we were shooting a very important scene for this web series, my T2i decided to stop recording automatically after a while, a little before we were done, though we're going back to the location in a few days, so we didn't lose much....

The camera says the card needs to be formatted, which would of course, destroy the footage... I have no idea how to get the footage off this card without destroying it because for some reason my laptop won't read SD cards.

I am currently scanning it with this free program called "CardRecovery" to see if that can retrieve the data (hopefully without loss) But so far, it's only found the stills we took and one video file.

Can anyone provide further advice/information?

Try it on different computers and/or through a card reader that'll plug into your/a USB drive.
My brand new computer won't read a SD card from its SD card slot but will through a card reader plugged into the USB drive. AFU, I know.

Not that it matters NOW, but was the card formatted BEFORE it was "recorded" onto?
Some cards are picky while others are not; probably pre-formatted.

I think I know what the problem is, that CAUSED it, which was: last night I put the SD card into my other camera, because my T2i has trouble saving large files to the computer.

I didn't format it before shooting, though we were able to record a lot of footage before it happened.

Will the footage supposedly recorded replay in the T2i's viewscreen?
If so, does the T2i have one of those HDMi jack thingie-dingies that you could hook up to your/a computer?

A large number of computer repair stores have begun to specialize in data recovery. Look up a repair shop in your area and consider taking it to them. It might cost $20-$50, but if it saves your scene, it's money well spent.

The only camera it's readable in is my wife's Kodak camera, which records videos in Avi and not Quicktime. It read the pictures fine, but the video it said "unknown format"

Back