Crisis... SD card error

So, while we were shooting a very important scene for this web series, my T2i decided to stop recording automatically after a while, a little before we were done, though we're going back to the location in a few days, so we didn't lose much....

The camera says the card needs to be formatted, which would of course, destroy the footage... I have no idea how to get the footage off this card without destroying it because for some reason my laptop won't read SD cards.

I am currently scanning it with this free program called "CardRecovery" to see if that can retrieve the data (hopefully without loss) But so far, it's only found the stills we took and one video file.

Can anyone provide further advice/information?

If you use two different cards in each camera and then plug them into your PC, do they show up as having different filing systems (FAT32 or something else)?
I'm only asking because it's possible that Camera B has automatically reformatted your card to suit... in which case, you'd have lost everything.

This isn't helpful, but at least you'd know it's gone.

Sorry that I can't help any more.

EDIT: Actually, sorry, I CAN offer a bit of advice:
I had an SDHC [micro] card which I plugged into another source and then my computer refused to read it. I tried other cards on my laptop and it wouldn't read them either - turns out that SOME HOW the USB port "died". I couldn't read the SDHC on our OLDER laptop either, but when I plugged it into someone's NEW Windows 7 laptop, everything worked fine - no data lost, either.

My point is that it could just be your laptop has fvcked up.

Last edited:
No, it's the card.

Several cameras tell me it needs formatted, plus the USB port detects all of the cameras.

I even said in the original post that I was recording fine, when suddenly the camera told me it was stopping automatically because the card needs formatted.

UPDATE:

If anybody ever has this problem: use this free software called Recuva

I tried a total of 12 separate programs, and this one is the only one that retrieved the clips I wanted.

I had to sift through every video clip I've EVER RECORDED ON THIS CARD, EVER!!!

But, I retrieved everything without a loss of quality. This is a victory... now I believe I deserve some sleep.

Back