conversation cutaways

Ok so I am trying to work out in my head this, which maybe simple but I may need some sort of clarification:

If I have filmed 2 people talking with 2 different angels over the shoulder one side and the other, when I want to edit and cut away when A is talking to see B, does the audio overlap the second clip with no sound? or does the sound of the second clip carry on, the thing I dont get is if the sound carrys on in the second clip you may hear the voice of the first clip twice in a way.

Or do I overlap the audio from clip 1 to clip 2 and then take away the audio from clip 2 until clip 1 has finished then carry the audio on from clip 2.

also what happens if they both talk at the same time, obviously having both audio would cause too much reverb or somthing.

Or is it when filming you direct one actor to act alone in a way which can be edited later?

sorry if this sounds quite all over the place. Im just trying to get my head around the basics of a conversation whislt cuting away to the other person.

if you have read this far, thanks.

Last edited:
I don’t quite understand what is a shame. Did you expect your
practice session to be 100% perfect? Or did you hope to learn
something? Seems to me you learned at least one excellent thing
that will make you a better technical filmmaker.

The boom op isn’t just the person holding the mic - a good boom op
is very important. Many, many filmmakers think this job can be
handled by anyone. I’ll bet you didn’t use headphones. Otherwise
you would have heard right away that the mic was in the wrong
place. So now you know - bring in someone who is dedicated to
operate the boom and use headphones. That’s not a shame - that’s
an excellent thing to learn.

Try it again.

Wanna try a little experiment? Use the audio from the good take
and try syncing it up with the video of the other take. Sometime
it works so well it’s scary.

I don’t quite understand what is a shame. Did you expect your
practice session to be 100% perfect? Or did you hope to learn
something? Seems to me you learned at least one excellent thing
that will make you a better technical filmmaker.

The boom op isn’t just the person holding the mic - a good boom op
is very important. Many, many filmmakers think this job can be
handled by anyone. I’ll bet you didn’t use headphones. Otherwise
you would have heard right away that the mic was in the wrong
place. So now you know - bring in someone who is dedicated to
operate the boom and use headphones. That’s not a shame - that’s
an excellent thing to learn.

Try it again.

Wanna try a little experiment? Use the audio from the good take
and try syncing it up with the video of the other take. Sometime
it works so well it’s scary.

Hey thanks for that, I guess I did learn somthing just thought it would be somthing more less silly:P

I didnt use head phones as my camera doesnt have a headphones soket, the only thing I have is a visual mic level that reacts.

I am pretty much a one man band, I dont know anyone whos into film production, I guess im going to have to multi task my way through it all lol

Being a one man band it's even more important that you begin
to understand that nothing you learn is "silly". Learning how
to better capture audio is essential. My advice is to try this two
or three more times. I bet you will learn something new each
time. It might even be something obvious or silly.

It seems to me you're doing exactly the right thing. Keep it
up! If you can get good a being a boom operator and get good a
lighting and get good at editing that will only make you a better
filmmaker.

Right?

Dialogue Test video I did

Thankyou directorik for your support.

I have had a quick go at the footage I filmedwhile my parter is out (she finds all this film production annoying lol ) here is a link to the test video. I used wavepad for the audio editing and sony vegas for the video.

The first part I used the audio from the angles that i got the mic nearest (the wrong mic to wrong actor)

I used noise reduction 100%, a low pass filter on the EQ and overlaped the dialogue a bit. I then added the room tone i recorded, on another channel.

The second clip I didnt edit the audio at all, but still used the best audio from the other angles .

I think the sych is a little out not sure how I can get this right, the first clip I think sounds odd, like low bit rate or somthing, kind of low quality if you know what I mean.

The second clip I didint add any room tone of course as it was already there, it joined together ok too without any jumps, so no need for room tone right if i havent removed any noise?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=devPJTKruGI

the test video sint long

The studio is not hooked up to the internet, so I just listened on my computer speakers. Not much difference between the two, but then there is not much from which to judge. Both sound gated, the second one a little grainy.

Try a full scene, that's where you are going to have to practice your techniques from mic placement through editing.

Back