• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Constant aperture or gain?

What do you folks prefer as a constant when shooting movies? Given that for the majority of circumstances you will be filming at 1/50th shutter speed, do you tend to keep the iso the same and adjust the aperture, or shoot at say f4 for as much as you can and adjust the iso to keep the exposure the same?

I tend to adjust the iso but I am intrigued as to what other folks do.

Third option would be to adjust the lighting. I usually adjust the ISO more often than the aperture when shooting on DSLR to keep the amount of DOF I want.

Last edited:
Speaking from what I did, and from other sets I have been on so far, they don't change a thing in camera. The reason why is cause they want to the exposure to be consistent, so they just leave everything as is throughout the whole shoot. But sometimes the lighting is adjusted if need be, but this also changes the pattern of light so not sure if it is the best idea.

Use your lightmeter, and adjust lighting, to keep things "constant".

You do have a lightmeter... right? :hmm:

Fwiw, virtually noone I know in the non-pro DSLR filmmaker world has a lightmeter. Their footage could look soooo much better. :no:

Use your lightmeter, and adjust lighting, to keep things "constant".

You do have a lightmeter... right? :hmm:

Fwiw, virtually noone I know in the non-pro DSLR filmmaker world has a lightmeter. Their footage could look soooo much better. :no:

Never even heard of one until now

But some shots require different DOF, you definitely want to change your aperture from time to time

Haha good answer Steve! I have actually had a look into lightmeters before but as my kit is still in its infancy it just hasn't been a priority.I have seen a kickstarter campaign for a light meter attachment for an Iphone that was reasonably priced,no idea how accurate it is though.

Never even heard of one until now

But some shots require different DOF, you definitely want to change your aperture from time to time

Generally we DPs will decide what stop we wanna shoot each scene at, and stick to that for the entirety of the scene, unless we're really struggling for light (I.e. Chasing the sun) or want to give our Focus Pullers a chance on long lenses.

Usually different scenes will be at different stops, though not all scenes will be different.

We usually set ISO based on testing to figure out the optimal dynamic range vs noise setting (I.e. I usually rate RED at ISO400 because it's cleaner, Alexa it depends on what I'm shooting), sometimes pushing it one stop if we really need it (say, a night exterior with no lights because that's the visual feel of the film).

I'll use my light meter and set lights to the exposure I want, though in the day of digital it's usually a combination mostly of lighting from eye, then the monitor and then using false colour and sometimes the waveform monitor.
I still use my meter quite often, but I don't use it for every single light on every single shot like I would in film.

Thanks Jax,more for me to read up on,I'll try and find the best ISO settings on my GH2 and then light for correct exposure whilst using the the aperture to get the look I want as opposed to correcting for poor lighting.

Just as a general rule/tip - 'correct exposure' is a very broad term. You can have many things in your frame that is under or over 'correct' exposure, but still looks fine. Creating contrast in your lighting is often what makes things look interesting.

What I mean is, whilst you may set your aperture to T2.8, this doesn't necessarily mean you need to have every light metering at 2.8. We also test to figure out exactly the range we have, so we know where we can place lights along that scale.

For example, for a night scene, I might have the key light motivated from a prac lamp in frame. The lamp itself might be 1 1/2 stops over (i.e. metering at 4 1/2 if my aperture is set to 2.8), whereas the light falling onto the subjects face, I might want to be a 1/2 stop under (i.e. metering at 2.0 1/2 if my aperture is set to 2.8).
This is why we test to know our dynamic range - there might be parts I want to fall away to black/complete underexposure, which on a DSLR might only mean 4 stops under, but on an Alexa might mean 6 stops under.

Similarly, say the subject's house is raided by police during that night scene, I want their flashlights to be over, so that they feel 'hotter' or brighter. On an Alexa, I might be able to have them 3 stops over and still keep detail, but on a DSLR, they might blow out a face at 2 stops over, so in order to keep detail on the faces they're shining the flashlights on, I'll have to ND them to bring in them in line with the dynamic range I have.

Hopefully I'm making some sort of sense ;)

Thanks Jax,very comprehensive,whilst I don't understand all of that I will now scurry off and read about this,do you know any books that will teach me these sort of things?

Lighting is something I am desperate to learn about but its a rather overwhelming topic.

Luxi light meter ordered, I know it isn't as good as a dedicated light meter but all the reviews I have seen and tests I have read show that it does compare favourably with the much higher priced meters so it will be a decent learning tool if nothing else.

Back