considering making an anthloghy movie.

[/QUOTE] I know that it's only early stages but pre-production is going to take a long time to get sorted and there's so many things that need to be considered before going into production or having those who wish to submit a short go into production on their ideas. The more prepared you are the better. As for distribution of the Anthology it might be wise to focus on this during the pre-production phase instead of post-production because it will make things much easier in the long run to address it now rather than later.

I think what's needed is an example of any work that you have done yourself or have been involved with so people can see that you have at least a project or two under your belt. The reason is because, especially on the internet, other people need to know that the time they are going to put into this project is with someone who knows what they are doing or has experience in aspects that will be required for this project to become a reality.

A major thing to figure out, before a genre is chosen, is how the collaboration would actually work. Once all those things that need to be sorted out at the beginning are figured out then it will be easier to go into production.[/QUOTE]

Wise words my friend . I will put them under thoughtful consideration. i have to say im a very amateur f ilm maker and need guidance. i think what im looking for is people with faith in me. i once tried making a 70 minute film in 5 days. of course i didnt happen. because i put more work on organizing everything except the incomplete script and the actual organization.

You will definitely find guidance on the IT forums, there's some really informative posters on here that have experience. The important thing is to never give up and keep doing projects related to film, do research on the internet, buy or borrow books on filmmaking...anything that can help you because the more you do the better you'll become at what you do.

You learn a lot of things along the way. But the important thing is not to put yourself down if you make mistakes but to analyze what happened and the solutions you can come up with to make sure it doesn't happen next time.

It's easy to get excited and become caught up in that excitement. The excitement of wanting to do something is great, it just needs to be channeled in a way that keeps you level headed and focused on what preparations you need to do.

You will definitely find guidance on the IT forums, there's some really informative posters on here that have experience. The important thing is to never give up and keep doing projects related to film, do research on the internet, buy or borrow books on filmmaking...anything that can help you because the more you do the better you'll become at what you do.

You learn a lot of things along the way. But the important thing is not to put yourself down if you make mistakes but to analyze what happened and the solutions you can come up with to make sure it doesn't happen next time.

It's easy to get excited and become caught up in that excitement. The excitement of wanting to do something is great, it just needs to be channeled in a way that keeps you level headed and focused on what preparations you need to do.

right on man. thanks .

AUDIO is SOOOOOOOOOOOO IMPORTANT.

You can't work around it. Bad audio is bad audio.

what i meant was i some , not much, but some audio can be fixed on audacity. certian scenes can be dubbed over as well. i know its easier said then done, but there are ways of fixing bad audio

Sure, but you won't get that nice crisp audio that films have. ADR? Dubbing? That means hours and even days of frustrating work with actors. Trust me, you want to record the best audio you can get.

Sure, but you won't get that nice crisp audio that films have. ADR? Dubbing? That means hours and even days of frustrating work with actors. Trust me, you want to record the best audio you can get.

i know... look heres my situation . i want to do an anthology movie with at least 3 other people . now the people want to participate but they want to know what equipment i have , what format i want it etc.... but needs money and more people. and to get that money and people i need something to show them (probably a script. so its a bit of aa though situation. but i am taking every piece of advice i get.

I've been thinking about the possibility of an anthology recently. I've got my own ideas, that I may want people to get involved with at some point in the future.

I think if you want to produce an anthology, you need to take that role as producer. You decide on the genre. You decide on the format. You formulate the concept. You come up with at least some sort of idea of what the segments would need to be. You figure out what would tie it all together. Then put those ideas out there and see if people want to contribute.

It also wouldn't hurt to show some previous work. People want to see that sort of thing, as well as know what equipment you'll be using, so that they know they won't be wasting their time (and money) planning and shooting something amazing, only to find out that the rest of the film is of a pretty poor standard.

I agree with PhantomScreenwriter but will go a step further and suggest you consider distribution before you even start development! Deciding what your final distribution is going to be will define what budget you will need, how your script should be written and what personnel and equipment resources you will need. For example:

... some audio can be fixed on audacity...there are ways of fixing bad audio

Fixing to what standard? If the final distribution is for a small regional film festival or for uploading to youtube then expectations are extremely low and yes, you could probably "fix" the audio with Audacity and some dubbing. If you are looking at final distribution to one of the better film festivals, TV broadcast or one of the other more commercial distribution outlets then you'll need better production sound and a more professional level of equipment/personnel. This same principle applies to all the film crafts, not just to the sound.

G

I've been thinking about the possibility of an anthology recently. I've got my own ideas, that I may want people to get involved with at some point in the future.

I think if you want to produce an anthology, you need to take that role as producer. You decide on the genre. You decide on the format. You formulate the concept. You come up with at least some sort of idea of what the segments would need to be. You figure out what would tie it all together. Then put those ideas out there and see if people want to contribute.

It also wouldn't hurt to show some previous work. People want to see that sort of thing, as well as know what equipment you'll be using, so that they know they won't be wasting their time (and money) planning and shooting something amazing, only to find out that the rest of the film is of a pretty poor standard.
good point

I agree with PhantomScreenwriter but will go a step further and suggest you consider distribution before you even start development! Deciding what your final distribution is going to be will define what budget you will need, how your script should be written and what personnel and equipment resources you will need. For example:

Fixing to what standard? If the final distribution is for a small regional film festival or for uploading to youtube then expectations are extremely low and yes, you could probably "fix" the audio with Audacity and some dubbing. If you are looking at final distribution to one of the better film festivals, TV broadcast or one of the other more commercial distribution outlets then you'll need better production sound and a more professional level of equipment/personnel. This same principle applies to all the film crafts, not just to the sound.

G
i know . i just dont know what equipment i will have. i could get better quality equipment by then...

i could get better quality equipment by then...

Unless you know what you are aiming for, distribution wise, how do you know if you need better quality equipment? And, if you do get better quality equipment, will you need someone who knows how to use it to actually get better quality results from it?

G

Unless you know what you are aiming for, distribution wise, how do you know if you need better quality equipment? And, if you do get better quality equipment, will you need someone who knows how to use it to actually get better quality results from it?

G
good point again. maybe i will just do a youtube release

...maybe i will just do a youtube release

This could lead you into one of the various vicious circles in filmmaking which make it such a challenge! On the one hand aiming for just a youtube release means it's relatively cheap and easy to meet the low expectations but it also means that it's more difficult to "get noticed", make any return on investment or attract the better/more experienced filmmakers. None of this is necessarily a deal-breaker of course, depending on what you ultimately want out of the project, but it's all info and decisions you should be considering before you start.

I mention this because so many new and amateur filmmakers jump straight into the fun part of actually making their film but are ultimately disappointed that their films do not achieve the results they were hoping for. The solution most likely to succeed is not to make your film "hoping" for a desired outcome but to plan for your desired outcome from the outset!

G

There is always the possibility of making a film for the experience
and not for wide distribution.

I'm always a little put off by discussions of distribution when it comes
to beginning filmmakers. Not every first timer needs to be thinking
of distribution as they learn and grow. Making and finishing a few
movies can be a great thing for a beginner. If the quality is not up
to distribution standards, if the lighting is poor, if the audio is rough,
the experience of making and finishing a few short films can still be
very, very valuable.

wierdbox, I think it's a great idea. And I do agree with what most are
saying; an anthology might not be what you need to be trying for at
this stage in your filmmaking. Finding three other filmmakers at your
level of experience might be fun but it will much harder than making
one or two short films yourself. I know you're looking for people who
have faith in you but finding complete strangers may not be the way.
You will have to have faith in three other filmmakers and motivate
them. That will be MUCH harder to do than making your film without
three other filmmakers.

Rather than looking for people to have faith in you you could look for
people you have faith in and ask for help.

This could lead you into one of the various vicious circles in filmmaking which make it such a challenge! On the one hand aiming for just a youtube release means it's relatively cheap and easy to meet the low expectations but it also means that it's more difficult to "get noticed", make any return on investment or attract the better/more experienced filmmakers. None of this is necessarily a deal-breaker of course, depending on what you ultimately want out of the project, but it's all info and decisions you should be considering before you start.

I mention this because so many new and amateur filmmakers jump straight into the fun part of actually making their film but are ultimately disappointed that their films do not achieve the results they were hoping for. The solution most likely to succeed is not to make your film "hoping" for a desired outcome but to plan for your desired outcome from the outset!

G

more good points raised

There is always the possibility of making a film for the experience
and not for wide distribution.

I'm always a little put off by discussions of distribution when it comes
to beginning filmmakers. Not every first timer needs to be thinking
of distribution as they learn and grow. Making and finishing a few
movies can be a great thing for a beginner. If the quality is not up
to distribution standards, if the lighting is poor, if the audio is rough,
the experience of making and finishing a few short films can still be
very, very valuable.

wierdbox, I think it's a great idea. And I do agree with what most are
saying; an anthology might not be what you need to be trying for at
this stage in your filmmaking. Finding three other filmmakers at your
level of experience might be fun but it will much harder than making
one or two short films yourself. I know you're looking for people who
have faith in you but finding complete strangers may not be the way.
You will have to have faith in three other filmmakers and motivate
them. That will be MUCH harder to do than making your film without
three other filmmakers.

Rather than looking for people to have faith in you you could look for
people you have faith in and ask for help.
Thanks man. i will take think this over. ive been getting a lot of advice and thinking about it alot. i have alot of planing and talking to do. thanks guys. this has helped me alot

Back