Confused about Filters

Hi,

I just received my T3i with a kit lens 18-55mm and a canon 50mm f/1.4

I want to first buy a UV filter for both lenses, but If I buy a 58mm filter will it fit both lenses? I haven't had any clear answers to this. Also, someone told me that everything you film goes through your UV filter (obviously) so you want to have a good one. I've browsed ebay and whats the difference between a $2 uv filter and a $40 one? What UV filter would you recommend to me?

Also, I want to buy a few ND filters, should they be the same sizes as the UV filters? and what ones do you recommend for outside shooting?

Thanks, sorry for all the questions, but I really don't want to start buying a bunch of filters and have them not work.

The filter thread size is printed on the front of each lens. Your stock one should have:

ø58

on the front. That's telling you the thread size for that particular lens.

Your other lens may (or may not) be the same size. You'll have to look.

The filter thread size is printed on the front of each lens. Your stock one should have:

ø58

on the front. That's telling you the thread size for that particular lens.

Your other lens may (or may not) be the same size. You'll have to look.

Thanks, and I looked on the lens for the canon 50mm f1.4 and there was nothing. So I'm assuming this information will be in the manual so I'll check that

99.9% sure it is 58. I have one on myy 50mm 1.4 but can't recall for sure. All my other vintage lenses are 49mm.

As far as quality, you want the best you can afford because a cheap one is more likely to effect the image quality.

You also keep one on both lenses, always. For some particular shots you nay want to take it off, bit it's protection for the lens. When your cap is off shooting, there's an increased chance o scratching your lens. Better to scratch and trow away a $20 filter than a $350 or more lens.

Back