• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Concentrating On One Screenplay.

I have a somewhat vague idea of something i want to write. I'm basically trying to write something to direct (first film), that i can shoot on a pretty low budget, since i doubt anyone would fund me much. The thing is, i've developed other ideas more than this idea, and even starting writing them a bit. And what im working on now isnt clearly defined in my mind, it can go anywhere, so im spending alot of time trying to figure out exactly what i want this to be about. While working on this, my mind wanders off into the other projects, since theres more work done, its easier to keep working on them instead of starting something else from scratch, but i dont want to do the other ones right now. What can i do to keep my mind on one thing?

Last edited:
I'll write notes, even extensive notes on thoughts unrelated to my screenplay, but when I sit down to write in the mornings, I develop the ideas related to my screenplay and leave the rest in my notebook.
I'm wary of working hard on two things at once. I feel like it's hard enough to get one screenplay on its feet. I don't wanna try to do two at once. I might lose my enthusiasm in the project if I only give it half of my attention and thought-time.

On the other hand, if I'm at a total standstill for days on end, I'll find another small project to develop and keep my skills up while I'm waiting to find the fix on the big project.

Write notes on everything, whilst still keeping a clear plan of the basic concept for this one project. Then you can start working the other ideas into the main story as subplots and character development, therefore leaving you with a much more complex story?

Good advice. I echo it and say it sounds a lot like you are a candidate for a pre-writing approach.

It can be great and is natural to have a vague idea and feel things out and bang out some scenes from it (writing is writing is writing), but at times in some instances it might be said “If you don’t know your story upfront, then you don’t know your story.”

If you can or think it might help, then try to develop a standardized checklist of story info to use on any script. It can be extensive and go into all kinds and levels of detail and character bios and sub-plot avenues and all manner of things OR it can be simple overview (That’s up to you), but at the least take the time to ask yourself and answer: What Vs. What in 3 words? What is the logline in one sentence? What would a tagline be? What is the title? What is the theme? Who is the main character?

It doesn’t always help and might not be ideal for everyone, but sometimes having a solid notion of what you want to show us and tell us, and why and how (upfront) can be just the thing to keep you on track and focused in adding flesh to the dramatically sound skeleton you have pre- written.

Sometimes the giant illusive element is really a small question unasked and unanswered upfront.

On the complete other hand, don’t fear the wandering mind or butterfly of competing interests, it will eventually lead you to something that works.

-Thanks-

I'M BY NO MEANS A CONVENTIONAL WRITER.

But this is what I do... I just write.

I don't mean for this to come across as a condescending tone, I simply mean I write as it comes to me. One day, it's this screenplay, the next day it's a different one... I'm sure I'll combine some screenplays down the road, but the important factor is to NEVER DISMISS AN IDEA, EVEN IF IT DOESN'T FIT INTO THE STORY YOU ARE WRITING AT THE MOMENT.
You can always modify the idea, or put it into a different story sometime later.

"i've developed other ideas more than this idea, and even starting writing them a bit."

It's alright, don't sweat, this one's easy. no problemo

It's very important to learn to finish things. Every script suddenly looks like a giant pile of .... uhm.... pain in the butt at around 40 or 50 pages. That's normal.

You have to overcome it. It's very easy to distract yourself from the hard work ahead by toying with other ideas. True.

Don't open any other file than the one that has the most pages written. And finish it. Just don't let yourself open any other file.

Na. Nope. Only click on that one. And that's it. That's all you have to do. Finish that one.

It's awful. Writing is really hard work. Awful hard work.

The only discipline you need is the power to not click on any other file. Nature looks after everything else.

Since I have terrible handwriting and I also find myself in the same boat as yourself...I email myself things that I think of.
That way, I can type it out fast and send it and print it if need be.

But jot it down in anyway you can.

I'm a screenwriter by necessity, not by choice, BUT I just bang them out. I start, I plow ahead on ONE idea, never going back and re-writing (or even frequently re-reading), and I don't stop until I'm typing "The End". From there it's all re-writes.

I'm a screenwriter by necessity, not by choice, BUT I just bang them out. I start, I plow ahead on ONE idea, never going back and re-writing (or even frequently re-reading), and I don't stop until I'm typing "The End". From there it's all re-writes.

This is what I try to do. If I can do a rough outline and then bang out a first draft in a month, I'm happy. Because Re-writing and re-reading are a satisfying endeavor in comparison.

Those are all good ideas. Write down as much as you can remember as notes as fast as you can.

Also, look into your movie collection and also rent as many movies as you can on stuff that is as close to what you want to make as possible to give you ideas of how to pull your thoughts together into a complete story.

Back