Compromising vision to get it made?

I have written a feature length script, I have confidence in it and so do the select people I have shown it to. My problem is getting it made without compromising my vision for the film. My friend studied television production at school and has made a few small pieces, for school not for experience. I, naturally, came to him first as we have spoken about making films in the past and I have no prior film experience past writing scripts. To cut a long story short, I showed him the script, he seemed to like it; he then went on to draw a storyboard for the first scene or so and he also showed me some of the stuff he has directed/made before. I didn't want to insult him but I was less than impressed with his past work and his storyboards (they were very hastily made). Not only that but he seemed to be very sensitive when talking things over and didn't show any of the traits I imagine a director would need when dealing with people, especially considering all we have is the script which I wrote without his input. He seemed to want to tell me what was wrong with my script and what it was missing, although he has never written a script before or directed an actual film outside of school -- when I asked him to elaborate he was very passive aggressive and I couldn't get him to make a constructive point/criticism. From what I gathered his criticisms were very specific (regarding not mentioning background noises etc) and almost as though he was making them just to make the point that he "knows more than me". He kept suggesting changing the setting, changing at what stages characters are introduced and even specifics like names of characters and their appearance. He then suggested he help me re-write it and without seeming arrogant, he has very little understanding of writing imo. I imagine it is going to be very hard to work with him and not only that but keep at least some of my vision within the final outcome, if it even manages to get it made.

It seems that I will have to make the awkward decision to cut my friend out of the project (unless he changes his passive ways), because my mere input seems to send the wrong signals to him as though I am trying to undermine him. Like I said, I have no directing or film making experience, but I believe in my writing skills, this particular screenplay and my vision for the final outcome. My problem is I have zero technical skills or knowledge. How can I either, get this made without compromising my vision or (preferably) make this myself? What advice can anyone give me regarding my situation.

If you want more control over your script and you are just starting out, you will have to get skills in directing, film making, and editing. Even then, there are compromising with actors, crew, and art department people's vision vs. your vision to get it done.

Remember, they are all artists too.

How can I either, get this made without compromising my vision or (preferably) make this myself?
You can't.

If you work with others you (and they) will have to compromise. If
you work alone you will have to compromise. The only way a movie
gets made is by compromising.

Since you would prefer to make this yourself then do it. Raise all
the money and then hire people. Hire them with the understanding
that you will not compromise and that they are being paid to cover
the technical knowledge you lack. That is the only way - you will not
be working with others, they will be working for you.

It seems that I will have to make the awkward decision to cut my friend out of the project (unless he changes his passive ways), because my mere input seems to send the wrong signals to him as though I am trying to undermine him. Like I said, I have no directing or film making experience, but I believe in my writing skills, this particular screenplay and my vision for the final outcome. My problem is I have zero technical skills or knowledge. How can I either, get this made without compromising my vision or (preferably) make this myself? What advice can anyone give me regarding my situation.

Have you done budget projections on how much your vision would cost? If you ignore all of the technical and creative aspects eventually everything boils down to two things; cold hard cash and time. Lay out a plan and figure out how much it would cost to achieve your vision without compromise, then start surgically cutting away everything you can't afford. You'll either come to terms with being able to compromise on your script or you'll shelve the project for something more attainable.

I had some pretty grand cost projections originally for a project I'm working on, and so far I've managed to whittle it down to a third of the original estimate and still retain the core ideas.

I just finished my very first ever short June 9th, but the time constraints for my class was the "true culprit" that was the Domino Effect leading to inadequate results. The Sound person did not show, the 3 actresses that were to handle the 2 dogs did not show, but the bottom line is that if it is YOUR project, YOU are responsible. Period. How does this reply fit in with the OP? When things go wrong, you LEARN from them. Certain people don't work out, you don't work with him/her ever again. It would have been so easy to blame others for the Short not turning out like I wanted, but the Man staring back at me in the mirror knows better. And no one is greener in this business than me.

So where did you EARN this confidence in your writing? Do you have a couple of shot scripts that were turned into movies? Have you won\placed in a screen writing competitions? Have you sold some stories\scripts?

My point is not to make you feel small, rather to point out that your friend probably has MORE experience in his craft than you, even if that experience WAS in school. Maybe you SHOULD compromise, maybe your script needs some work? Is that possible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrpF4YOsWfc

First, if you are collaborating with the first person you come across, it is not going to be the best match. If you two have talked about making movies he was probably talking about you both giving input, and may not have the same creative goals. I'm sure if you were better connected you could find someone more in tune with you.

Second, if you want your story to be yours alone, pretty much your only option is writing a book and publishing it via a vanity press. I don't think that's anyone's idea of success though. Compromise is what gets a story told. Related to the above, you just have to pick the right people you're compromising with - someone you don't respect isn't going to defer to you and vice versa - find someone whose skills you believe in and expect that a compromise between you both will create something you like, even if it's not exactly what your story is at the start.

My major advice here, though, is don't make your first project your baby. Learn the ropes with other ideas, for example ideas that fit your friend's interests, and when you feel you have enough experience and the right connections, do what you've been waiting to do.

Ya, I can understand what you are going through. A year ago, I met my old friend, a college dropout, who said that he was good at VFX, Editing and all that post-production stuffs. But as the days passed the interaction became more and more complex and I started doubting my role as the director.

Other members in our team disliked this guy and we had to dismiss him from the project, there was no other way. He now gave up filmmaking and is going back to college.

There are few guys especially the wannabes who think that they are the greatest filmmakers on the planet. Well that's not the case really because it's all about team work. It's about keeping your people together without any differences of opinion.

I thought of coming up with a solution in order to keep the team/ crew well organized, and Facebook came to my rescue. I created a secret group and added all my crew members, actors etc., In the process it turned out to be a virtual office room, something that we were not able to afford in the real world.

Now we make collective decisions, and it has saved us a lot of time, effort and the projects are coming out fantastic too. Our first DSLR short film titled Hobson's Choice is now in pre-production.

On a personal note, as a writer myself, I urge you not to involve yourself in visualizing the script until and unless you are either directing or shooting or involved in any kind of production. The writer's job is to write a convincing story with interesting plots and lively dialogues. Make your job easier by assigning roles, it's really helpful, trust me.

Last edited:
Or go try make something new and small together to test the waters.
In the meantime you get to know each other's skills, you get more experience and your script has time to ripen. After this smaller adventure you can look at it with fresh eyes and maybe value any feedback you get better.

It's not difficult to let people read your script and hear them say: 'yeah cool'.
It's not easy to have someone comment on it and suggest changes.
Try to consider the feedback without emotions or thinking: 'he's no good writer'. Maybe the feedback is good or not. But the way to find out is to discus it on an intellectual level. It's not about who is right, but about what's best for the script.

The director is the person with the vision. They are the only person who even has a right to talk about compromising vision. The screenwriter must let go of their script, when handing over to director. If you don't like this arrangement, start directing.

If you want more control over your script and you are just starting out, you will have to get skills in directing, film making, and editing. Even then, there are compromising with actors, crew, and art department people's vision vs. your vision to get it done.

Remember, they are all artists too.

Seems like solid advice, thank you because I was wondering the same thing as the OP

Back