Colorist Game

8.8 on the first run, with time running out on the first one of the complimentary series because i was confused as to the goal for a second. 10,9,8,8,8,10.

Fun, managed a 9.8, but the worst part was waiting for it to finish! When you get the colour close, you can't tell how much time is left any more. The urge to move the mouse a little bit to see cost me a perfect on one, I ended up just having to let the mouse go and sit back!

The hardest part was in the tri and tetra ones, was thinking that the section closest to my cursor was the colour I was controlling with my cursor. Very bamboozling until I could force myself to look at the right one.

CraigL

Shocking and Craig, do you guys mind sharing what monitor you are using?

The hardest part was in the tri and tetra ones, was thinking that the section closest to my cursor was the colour I was controlling with my cursor. Very bamboozling until I could force myself to look at the right one.

I had that same problem with those. On a few of them I almost didn't make the timer and clicked at the last second on something I knew was less than perfect. Did anyone do the brightness adjustment or did we all just go for it?

Last edited:
Ran my HD LED monitor up to 100% (usually keep it @ 70-80%) and just went for it.

Spending seconds to figure out which cursor controlled multiple circles was where in relationship with the color changing thingie in the center is what killed me.
Once I figured out what was where I did fine with the hues, did terrible getting there. :lol:

Craig - impressive.

Shocking and Craig, do you guys mind sharing what monitor you are using?

I'm at work, just on a cheapy BenQ monitor. It's not a bad monitor, but nothing special. I think having done a bit of painting, as well as the work practising colour grading helped. I'm also the sort of person that both crams a metric shitload of information down my throat when I'm starting at something (for both the painting and grading in this case), and spent a lot of effort and time practising mixing paints to get various hues, tints and shades. That helped a lot.

I had that same problem with those. On a few of them I almost didn't make the timer and clicked at the last second on something I knew was less than perfect. Did anyone do the brightness adjustment or did we all just go for it?

Crap, I didn't realize you could click to end it, I just tried to sit there waiting... lol

CraigL

@Craig - interesting, nice score either way. Cheapish monitor here too (HP LED, not bad, but not great either, bought it because it was best bang for buck at 24" when I was at Fry's) so I doubt that has too much sway on the result unless the monitor is just way off. I took a quick peek at their brightness reference, my very low brightness/contrast (this thing is effing bright) setting doesn't look that far off - save for on the orange/yellow in the upper right.

I might be able to pull a low 9 now that I am awake and know what to click, but I doubt I'd come close to your score! :lol: Color perception is likely as much learned as it is physiological - and I definitely don't practice enough. :P

Color perception is likely as much learned as it is physiological - and I definitely don't practice enough. :P

It definitely is, yeah.

Oh, and one other little detail I just remembered; I have calibrated even my work monitors with my colour calibrating system (just a cheapy Spyder rip-off). Been a year or more though, I should remember to bring it in and recalibrate.

OK, maybe not a little detail... =)

I'm sure that helped a lot.

CraigL

Last edited:
na, dont think calibrating matters.. most monitors display all the info required just fine..its the "what your monitor shows looks nothing like what my monitor shows" issue that we need to calibrate to fix.

You could play that game if red your red and blue colors were reversed...

na, dont think calibrating matters.. most monitors display all the info required just fine..its the "what your monitor shows looks nothing like what my monitor shows" issue that we need to calibrate to fix.

I was thinking about that after I posted it, and on one hand, you're right. It would show the target and selected equally bad if it were off. However, in a subtle sense, I think it might have still helped in so much as I could immediately see my blue was a little too purple, and move away from red. If the hues were messed up, it might not have been so easy to see that subtle red hue?

And for reversed, technically, you could. But for me, being intimately familiar with the colour wheel, I would probably have rung up a 2.5 or so, as I'd be constantly moving in the wrong direction! =)

CraigL

:lol:

Yeah, calibrating would make a difference. What knock-off are you using? Sounds like you like it.

Oh, I can't say I like this particular one. It's a really old, discontinued model from here:

http://www.xritephoto.com/

The model I had couldn't even be installed on Win7 as the drivers weren't signed, just to give you an idea of how old it is. I will upgrade the hardware at some point, as even after downloading the latest drivers it still didn't seem to work all that well.

I'm happy enough with the results, especially at home where I have two completely different monitors and my big TV hooked up. The two monitors aren't identical, but they're way closer than they were. You get what you pay for I guess.

CraigL

Cognitively I couldn't play the game that way - I'd have the same problem as Craig and would keep going the wrong direction on the wheel. Maybe if I had a lifetime of reversed perception, but that's hard for me to conceptualize. :lol:

Calibrating isn't going to make a big difference, but it is going to make a difference. The website is feeding numerical values to any given machine - and those values have been assigned a perceptual color (or at least an empirical value) by the designer of the test. My LED monitor is going to display those differently (marginally) than my wife's LCD would, which would be different in turn from someone using an old CRT or someone looking at it on their Plasma television. Calibrating a monitor is almost as much about having it display color correctly in the lighting environment in which the monitor sits as it is about one monitor against another.

It's possible that the test designer's display has no bearing on the test itself - and it's a given that we cannot know for certain if running a calibration would get a viewer closer to the same display as the test designer, but it would at least ensure that a given monitor isn't skewed in a particular direction (blues that are appear more purple than they actually are, to borrow the above example) or set to display for tungsten ambient light in a room full of daylight.

Which is all a long way of saying that the calibration benefit isn't 100% relative. We're talking fractional points, obviously, but there are benefits to periodically calibrating a display profile even if you aren't comparing it to other monitors.

Re: xrite.

Ok yeah, familiar with those. Used them years ago when I still did support for a art/design department in my former life. :D

Last edited:
Back