pre-pro Cold Embrace of Death

sfoster

Staff Member
I'm going to make an autobiographical documentary about my need and aspiration for ice baths.
OMG this sucks, my arms still sting. but its kinda funny in a jackass sort of way

Last edited:
lol I started something. My dad got all the way in for 30 seconds!!! and my ex (not here for me - she’s friends with my parents ugh) sat down for 10 seconds. this is so important to me that im taking the slower road and not jumping in like that just yet.

The consensus is that it's excruciatingly painful. Yeah it’s like a 9/10 on the pain scale.

Edit: to add that hours later my arms still hurt.
Looking forward to doing it again tomorrow.

Last edited:
I used to have to do this when I was in the Navy. For me personally? I found that the key was TAKING MY TIME getting used to it. A little more each day. A little longer each day.

Good luck!

Thanks! That is definitely my approach.
I didnt know that navy did this but thats really cool! Wim Hof was in ice water for SIXTY MINUTES a few months back for his birthday.
Imagine if Jack did this shit from titanic??? He'd still be alive!!! He could have just chilled in that water for an hour lol.

I am just sticking with my arms until its no problem to do 3 minutes.
Amazingly though I stepped inside and stood up to my knees for 4 minutes straight no problem at all!! I could have stayed even longer.

So for whatever reason my feet (that are always cold and in socks!!) had no problem.
Super super bizarre to put my arms in a 90 degree pool afterward. with a 60 degree difference and frozen arms it feels like youre sticking your hands in boiling water lol

Last edited:
Every once in awhile when we knew we'd be swimming in super cold water, we'd have ice water submersion sessions. Three times a week for a few weeks -- sometimes longer -- until we were en route to our destination. According to the Navy, the best way to acclimate is to swim in ice cold water at least once every other day until you're en route. I also learned that cold water can stimulate growth of new stem cells as well as help keep the telomeres of your DNA strands extended which helps keeps you younger in the long run of life. Crazy stuff.

Every once in awhile when we knew we'd be swimming in super cold water, we'd have ice water submersion sessions. Three times a week for a few weeks -- sometimes longer -- until we were en route to our destination. According to the Navy, the best way to acclimate is to swim in ice cold water at least once every other day until you're en route. I also learned that cold water can stimulate growth of new stem cells as well as help keep the telomeres of your DNA strands extended which helps keeps you younger in the long run of life. Crazy stuff.
Yeah everything about it is good for you. That dude Wim Hof Has an immune system so strong that they injected the flu into his bloodstream and he didn’t get sick. I just really needed to reduce inflammation in my spine and I’ll be happy.

I am not fully submerging until my hands stop being so damn sensitive though. I’m taking the slow marathon route not a sprint

Last edited:
Wasn't able to watch the video (because YouTube is blocked at my work), but as someone who has been starting cold showers... My hat is off to you! Enjoy the pain, it means its worth it!

Last edited:
I should have taken a moment to focus the camera a little better but I wanted to hurry up and get in before i lost the nerve lol.

Last edited:
Well, there's also people who walk in t-shirt and shorts during winter time. Idk how that thing is called, but it's something along the lines of meditation and cleansing. I have tried washing my hair with cold water, first shock hits you hard. But yeah there's something about pain management and just ignoring the unnatural.

Well, there's also people who walk in t-shirt and shorts during winter time.

well that'll be me if i get the hang of this ice bath stuff
you become pretty impervious to the cold after a while

struggling a lot with getting in a second time even though it wasnt that bad.

Last edited:
Well, there's also people who walk in t-shirt and shorts during winter time.

It's got to be 15 or 20 years ago, but there were two Post Office workers in New Jersey (an east coast state here in the US) who kept wearing their summer uniforms into the fall, and then past the holidays. It turned out to be a particularly cold winter, especially February with temperatures well below freezing headed down towards zero fahrenheit, but they kept going at it, wanting to see who would give up first. It eventually took a direct order from the postmaster general to get them to put on their winter gear.

And then there are the numerous Polar Bear Clubs. Before cable became really big local news was all you had. Every year they would report on the Coney Island polar bear event. I always thought those people were nuts. I've worked my share of outdoor jobs in cold weather, and I've learned one thing... I friggin' HATE being cold.

In Iceland we'd jump in the 33-34 degree ocean at Black's Beach (it's called a "Thule Doosh"), and in Alaska we'd swim in the Yukon River at ice breakup... alcohol was usually involved. I actually miss that.

Okay but why lol. was it a thing where the first guy went in and the rest of you were too ashamed not to follow ?

Back