• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Clutter - logline help

Hi everyone,

I'd love some feedback on this logline:

Clutter - Drama
When a young woman has go through all the relics of her past in her mother's garage, she’s forced to confront the painful secrets of her self-destructive teen years.

Too long, and the first clause is too passive.

I'm guessing here as to why this woman has to clean the garage:

A young woman is forced to face the painful secrets of her self-destructive teen years in the aftermath of her mother's death.

THe second issue is that it's all aimed at the self. She confronts her own secrets. Or is your phrasing so vague as to mean that the daughter is forced to confront the mother's secrets? (More fertile material, dramatically) (or for puns, depending on the plot)

One grammatical error. Confused as to whose teen years you are talking about, the mother or daughter. You said secrets so I am guessing the mother. Immediately sounds like a short film with flashbacks. I picture her flashing back with each item she finds. That does not sound interesting. It definitely needs to be reworded.

Okay, how about this one?

A aimless young woman’s troubled past threatens the stability of the present when going through all the stuff she’s stored in her mother’s garage unearths painful memories.

It does not make me want to see it. Sounds like a Lifetime movie. No offense. Hope this is helping. Do you care to post a synopsis so we can see if the logline fits, and maybe we can help you with it?

A young woman confronts painful secrets stored in the disorganized keepsakes of her destructive past.

I say if your story is best shown through a balance of flashbacks and present, then use them.
Hollywood has no qualms about it in things like The Notebook. .

On the other hand, if you are relying on flashbacks to patch up a story or force resolution into it, then to me that is weak. I think Clutter is a nice idea for drama. I wish I had thought of it actually.

-Thanks-

indietalk: I'm sorry, but making disparaging remarks like "sounds like a Lifetime movie" just isn't helpful. Moreover, Lifetime movies are legitimate works that people actually make money doing. So what if this is a Lifetime movie?? If you don't watch them, then that's your prerogative, but other people do.

Thanks, Buddy.

Here's the synopsis, to see if it fits or assists with any suggestions:

LILA, a twenty-something administrative assistant, has just moved in with her boyfriend, BRIAN, when her mother, DIANE, asks her to clean out everything Lila has accumulated in the garage over the course of her life. When Lila balks, her mother gives her an ultimatum: Diane is going to get rid of whatever is still in there after a month. Lila brings a bunch of boxes to her new apartment to start going through it.

When she comes across a book that her junior high school sweetheart, HUGH, had given her, they meet up so she can give it back to him. She’s embarrassed to tell him about her undistinguished life as an office assistant compared to his PhD studies in physics, but they have just as much chemistry together as when they were kids and decide to continue hanging out as friends to see if a relationship between them would work.

Lila comes across a hospital wristband from when she drilled a hole in her own hand, depressed over having failed to fulfill her potential as an artist. Although in her childhood she seemed to be extraordinarily talented, she eventually became discouraged and gave up a year earlier.

When all the stuff that Lila has accumulated in her living room becomes overwhelming, Brian demands that she get rid of it all and makes insensitive remarks about the emotional difficulty she’s had with digging up old memories. Later, however, he feels guilty about what he said and starts cleaning out his own old stuff to experience what she’s going through.

Hugh makes belittling comments about how little Lila has done with her life, so she breaks up with him—for essentially the same reason she broke up with him in junior high.

When she comes back to her apartment, Brian breaks up with her, since going through his own old stuff has made him realize that she never really loved him. Lila can’t argue with him, having realized the same thing herself.

Lila comes across a coffee table book that a private art teacher, NIGEL, gave her when she was 14—on the day he started molesting her. This wound having reopened, Lila confronts her mother, telling her what happened for the first time. Her mother asks her for forgiveness, but Lila refuses and storms off.

The following days are extremely difficult, with bizarre memories of Nigel haunting Lila’s every moment, to the point where she even considers suicide. She decides against it, however, and instead tracks Nigel down and effectively rescues the young girl currently under his tutelage.

Lila forgives her mother and takes up painting again.

indietalk: I'm sorry, but making disparaging remarks like "sounds like a Lifetime movie" just isn't helpful. Moreover, Lifetime movies are legitimate works that people actually make money doing. So what if this is a Lifetime movie?? If you don't watch them, then that's your prerogative, but other people do.
I was merely commenting on the logline itself not the story, as I don't know that, so if that is what you are writing then it fits. If not, reword. That's what I was trying to convey. Good luck.

Where is the story in all of this? It sounds very episodic. I may be missing the glue to these traumatic events and its entirely possible that you are trying not to give away the story, but it feels very episodic.

As for the logline, Is it Lila's self destructive teen years? Also I really dont get a feeling for the who, the what, the why, the how. I think that there should be enough information to give an accurate sense of the story, but not so much as to skip reading the screenplay.

It sounds like the emotions are there but the story isn't actualized yet. If there is more of a "story" I would like to hear it.

P.S my girlfriend loves lifetime, so you already have a lot of die hard fans if thats the route it takes. The notebook was extremely sucessful though so lifetime is not the only avenue for this story to take. Good luck and keep manicuring the dream.

--Casey

Introducing a crucial character in the last act seems pretty darned capricious.

Like I said, too passive. Little did I know -- except for the final lines your entire tale could be summed up "I used to be brilliant the cruel world doesn't appreciate me boo hoo" which I am absolutely sure is the real story of many fine and tragically-doomed people but it would be a real feat to make an entertaining 120 minutes out of it.

The reason you are having trouble with the logline is that you haven't found any core direction for this, developed by Lila's actions and choices. Stuff just happens to her.

Sorry, just one more quick question. What would you guys say the logline would be for Rachel Getting Married? (Which I hated, so I may actually be proving my own point.)

::SPOILERS::

Although she says she wants to "make amends" with her sister, she does little in the pursuit of this objective. The final sort of "showdown" isn't even with her sister, it's with her mother. So how do you explain this? Even if you hated it too, it was nevertheless a major motion picture.

I had no clue what Rachel Getting Married was about so I looked up the logline:

Kim, a twentysomething recovering drug addict, must confront the ghosts of her family’s past when she returns home from rehab the week of her sister’s wedding.

In my opinion there is a lot more built in drama in Rachel Getting Marrieds logline.

A. She is a recovering drug addict, people don't become addicts because their life is great and they have no emotional pain. When people leave rehab they actually are told that they must confront all of the "demons" that triggered them to use in the first place in order to be able to remain sober.

B. She is going to her sisters wedding - Her sisters life seems to be going just as planned and hers is in shambles because she is fresh from rehab. Which is an extreme low no matter who it is. Not to mention that a wedding is going to be extremely hard on the brides unmarried sister no matter the circumstance.

These are the hooks, they are BIG points of drama, so I think thats where this logline and your logline differ. If your story has huge points of drama(which I am sure it does :D) show it. If the worst thing that has happened to your character is the molestation, have her getting past that be her main goal. There is a lot of built in drama with molestation also.

The logline as is seems a bit superficial and doesnt scream READ ME. On the other hand I do want to read rachel getting married now.(I haven't seen the film)

I may be way off but the story seems to me to be about the molestation, embrace that and run with it. The rest seems like episodic filler. I think you really have something here.

Casey: good point on Rachel Getting Married, but technically, she still doesn't have a clear external objective.

I'm getting the suggestion to essentially move what happens in the third act to the first/second elsewhere as well. I'm warming up to the idea. Thanks for the feedback!

Back