Cloud Atlas - Wachowski Movie

The Wachowski siblings are weirdos, and I love 'em for that. Hollywood needs more weirdos. I'm really happy that this apparently strange movie got made, and I hope it's a success. :)

Looks interesting.

Is it about reincarnation?

Just off the cuff, just guessing...it looks sort of like Orlando meets 2046 meets The Fountain meets Blade Runner meets A.I. meets...

I would get excited about it, but that has to be tempered by my disappointment in The Matrix sequels. Though, I suppose that those have grown on me a little bit. A little bit.

But looks like it could be good. Certainly a good, intriguing trailer. Except, reincarnation and its accompanying spiritual baggage is the sort of thing that turned me off from The Matrix sequels, for one. Just a personal taste thing, obviously.

Thanks for bringing this to the forum's attention. =)

Looks amazing :cool:

Side note: Is that Lana's normal hairstyle, or is she giving props/nod to the Cloud Atlas co-director? (Run Lola Run)

Side note: Is that Lana's normal hairstyle, or is she giving props/nod to the Cloud Atlas co-director? (Run Lola Run)

I would assume it's her normal hair, but that's the first I've seen of her since the gender reassignment. It just seems appropriately cyberpunk for someone who co-directed the Matrix :) Best quote I've seen about her current style:
it's about time film directors start to look like they attended Lollapalooza as opposed to Woodstock

I actually really like the Matrix sequels, though I didn't on first viewing. At the end of the first, they show Neo flying. Okay, cool, he's transcended the need to play by the rules of the matrix and can do anything. Next film, more hand to hand and gunplay. But at the end they show him using powers outside of the matrix! Lots of cool places you could take that! Number 3 comes, and we won't be exploring that much (though less disappointment because the Zion battle was pretty cool, and I loved the ending).

At some point I realized I didn't like the sequels because they weren't what I wanted them to be. Rather than seeing what is, I was comparing against my expectations. Remove that, and they're just as fun as the first.

Anyway, babble. This film looks fantastic!

Looks interesting.

.....reincarnation and its accompanying spiritual baggage is the sort of thing that turned me off from The Matrix sequels, for one. Just a personal taste thing, obviously.
=)

Just the sort of careless comment that could turn a forum into a battleground. You need to respect anyone who attempts to put something profound into the mainstream cinema. I just came from cinematography.com forum where an Indian student explosively slamed this movie. Maybe it's going to be one of those films that provokes a lot.

Cheers,
Gregg

I don't see anything wrong with richy's post. He was giving a personal opinion about why he didn't care for the matrix sequels, he even made a point to say that it was just his personal taste. I see no disrespect there.

I don't see anything wrong with richy's post. He was giving a personal opinion about why he didn't care for the matrix sequels, he even made a point to say that it was just his personal taste. I see no disrespect there.

Refering to Bhudism, Hinduism, Taoism....as "acompanying spiritual baggage" , whether consciously intended or not, can be seen as be offensive.

Last edited:
I'm excited to see this because I always thought a story like this would be really cool. Plus, it looks like its a very stunning film visually.

Refering to Bhudism, Hinduism, Taoism....as "acompanying spiritual baggage" , whether consciously intended or not, can be seen as be offensive.

I don't think many people make the connection between The Matrix and any of those religions. I'm not saying there isn't a connection, but I've personally never heard anyone talk of it. Now that you mention it, yeah, "There is no spoon" sounds kinda Bhudist, but at the same time, the movie is LOADED with Christian symbolism. So...I think it's just a spiritual movie, in general.

And yeah, that's what turned me off to the sequels as well. Too much philosophical talky-talk. And why do you refer to these religions as if they are the same thing? Bhudism and Taoism are very similar, but grouping Hindu in with them is like grouping Christianity, Judaism, and Muslim together. Yeah, they have a shared history, but they're distinct from each other.

..... And why do you refer to these religions as if they are the same thing? Bhudism and Taoism are very similar, but grouping Hindu.....

I am not doing that. I'm grouping them because people belonging with those religeons or philosophies might find those religeons or philosophies being described as "accompanying spiritual baggage" offensive, or at least careless and unthinking.

Appologies to "richy" if he's feeling heat from this. If I thought he was on his own I would not have spoken.

I am not doing that. I'm grouping them because people belonging with those religeons or philosophies might find those religeons or philosophies being described as "accompanying spiritual baggage" offensive, or at least careless and unthinking.

Appologies to "richy" if he's feeling heat from this. If I thought he was on his own I would not have spoken.

Okay, I feel where you're coming from. I just don't think richy's comments were directed at any specific religion, more so towards the Wachowski's penchant to slow a movie down with a bunch of (non-demoninational?) philosophy.

This is also the reason I was bored to death by V, and one of the reasons I'm luke-warm about Cloud Atlas.

Just watched this today, I thought the story was very well told and it looked amazing and very entertaining to watch. My only gripe is it felt like a glorified and exaggerated love story, which isn't bad but just something I'm not too into.

Thank you, Dready and Cracker! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your giving me the benefit of the doubt. =X

I have many flaws, of course, and that no doubt sometimes includes being careless. I am sorry if my comment caused you or others offense, Viz. And of course you have the right to be offended, as you choose.

I'm sure, and I'm sure that you can rest assured, Viz, that if I have crossed a line that management cannot abide, I will be censured in one form or another. =(

Viz, thanks for sharing your opinions, thoughts, and comments.

Just the sort of careless comment that could turn a forum into a battleground.

Just two things on that.

1. I have no idea how things work on that other forum that you mentioned. But one thing that we can be certain of on this forum, very thankfully, is that Indietalk management will not be allowing anyone, not me, not you, nor anyone else turning this forum into a "battleground." Forget about it.

That's something that I'm sure all regs have come to appreciate and to cherish about I.T., and why any one of us who sticks around sticks around...in addition to all the great information and information sharing that takes place here.

2. I can't help but think that I'm being baited. But I can also guarantee you, viz, that I will not be taking the bait. That's it. Especially since Dready and Cracker said it so well, for which again I want to say how thankful I am to you two for. =)

Anyway, it's nice that you enjoyed Cloud Atlas, Viz. And thank you for your thought provoking comments, despite your turning the heat up on me.

Last edited:
Uh oh, Nick's drunk in daylight...

I just sometimes get too excited when I see people trying to start arguments from the most innocuous of comments.

Oh, and Cloud Atlas- most expensive independent film ever and it's going to be a massive box office bomb. How does this affect the indie film world?

Back