• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Clamp Lights 101?

I've seen some decent footage shot w/ clamp lights, and I need a satisfactory and cheap lighting setup. What sort of clamp lights work well? Also what sorts of light bulbs work well? I need to shoot in a few days so something I could get at the hardware store is better than getting it online.

rentall, get sum reel lights to

for cheep....my liter likes chinese lantern and black clothe "skirt" you can hang on seeling or stand and reflector. he uses fotoflood lite inside must be good is blue costs $

Last edited:
There are a lot of older threads on cheap lighting setups, but more important than whether its hardware store gear or pro gear is that you set up your lights properly -- a three point light setup every time you put the camera down will do wonders for your film.

In other words, a couple of cheap clamp lights set up properly will outshine pro gear not utilized properly.

Good luck.

lol :D 3 point liting is good start for learning but look like shitt if u try it alwayzzz... get a real liter for creative desine. so beutyful is nachural lite like tree of life and arrimaxx thru window like wally pfister :blush: only beginner use three point x-cept for portret:yes:

What sort of clamp lights work well? Also what sorts of light bulbs work well?
I think there is really only one type that works - the work light type,
not the decorative or desk type made of plastic.
cg5217yhfdh.jpg

What lamps you use will depend on what your needs are. You can
use fairly high wattage lamps in those fixtures. Even photofloods.

IKWYN_airport.jpg

Not the best shot but here you see four people simply holding the
clamp lights - one on a pole.

IKWYN-setLighting.jpg

Here I put a clamp light on a spare tripod with a floodlamp. It’s
next to a Smith-Victor photoflood.

lightgrid.bmp

Here we made a grid for the clamp lights. If I remember correctly
we used 500w floodlamps.

There are slightly more expensive clamp lights that don't have the pressure knuckles that hold the thing together for a short time, then bend and finally fall shattering glass all over the floor of your set. Sped the little bit extra and get the ones that actually use bolts to attach all the way around the base of the socket... I have a link around here somewhere, http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...9x00001a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM2313651503 Solid construction and a longish cord. These will allow you to purchase once and use it for a long time rather than having to repurchase as they wear out quickly...

Director rik, thanks for bringing up the grid thing -- I'm using something similar, my studio space has open rafters so it was easy to set up -- Your system looks like it was also easy to set up -- maybe only 6 or 8 holes screw holes in the ceiling. A really great and practical tip!

DirectoRick, tell me more about that grid.. I mean I can SEE that its 2x2 held together with gaff tape, but how is it attached to the wall\ceiling?
As I remember it we used those hooks used to hang plants - careful
to screw them into the beams.

A year later we moved into a house with a garage. Built sets there for
the next few years. Much easier - but we were still using those scoop
lights.

Back