Cinematographer vs. Producer (Canon 7D)

Blow the 7D up in a theater, then tell me that again :P

Dude...if you blow it up in the theater, it will look good...just not *as* good as Red and such.

We've screened a bunch of our movies on the big screen, shot on a JVC 3ccd 720p camera, and it looks good. The 7D is going to look as good, if not better than that.

It's still pretty darn high resolution. Just because it's not 2K or 5K doesn't mean it won't look good blown up...it just won't look *as* good.

:)

The 7D is a great camera. DSLR tech isn't perfected yet, and you have to learn to shoot around the weaknesses (like every camera), but it still produces a fantastic image, with great color, nice DOF if you want it, and friendly workflow environments. It's a fantastic camera if you're going straight to DVD, Web or TV. You can get totally professional results if you have the right team (as with most modern quality cameras).

Cheers.

Don't make me post the trailer for 36 Stairs again...because there isn't a single comeback you can say when seeing that product (Mark II).

Last edited:
Actaully your jvc camera probably didn't compress your video and kept it raw, which would give it a much better look blow up.

I can blow up a SD tape footage and it look better then h264 blown up.

Don't get me wrong, for music videos/web/tv/commericals, its a great camera with a good crew.

But for a narritive feature planning to hit screens, its not, I'm sorry.

Maybe on 5 years when its ready.

Let's be honest here. How many independent films hit the theaters other than the premiere?

The future for indie filmmakers, and the brunt of the 'audience' is either online or on DVD/Blueray (television or computer screen). DSLR cameras will do just fine on these formats and mediums.

If you want to showcase your movie primarily on the big screen...then you probably aren't going to be shooting on a DSLR.

And trust me...things are changing so fast. Soon the DSLRs will evolve to 2K, 5K and 10K...things are happening so fast. This excites me. Red already has their version of a DSLR -- the Epic...oh my goodness. 5K at 100 fps? Kazowie.

Last edited:
I agree with Cracker Funk 100%! Of course you would use a Red if you have the budget. Or even film for that matter. But if you don't have the money, you have to use whatever you can afford. So really it's a dead issue.

Ah! Sorry about that. It seemed to me that CF was supporting the use of DSLR when appropriate with regards to budgeting, so I was puzzled. Im not normally this thick, I promise. :rolleyes:

No, you got me right. I absolutely support using DSLR when it is the only thing that fits your budget. I just shot a feature on the T2i, with the freaking stock lens, cuz that's all I had money for. Me and Mike had a small misunderstanding; we actually mostly agree.

Seems like when something gets trendy, everyone has to dog it? Even though the footage looks dam good we still tend to talk bad about it. The red had the same problem, now the 5, and 7D are getting it. Seems to me people are feared of change and innovation. Innovation has created the American dream, so it seems to me that folks are putting down the American dream.

Hmmm?

No, you got me right. I absolutely support using DSLR when it is the only thing that fits your budget. I just shot a feature on the T2i, with the freaking stock lens, cuz that's all I had money for. Me and Mike had a small misunderstanding; we actually mostly agree.

I don't agree Cracker, you can make better films than Hollywood with a 5D, good story, and a marketing plan.

But honestly the SLR cams look better than most cameras out there. I'm thinking T2I is the lowest to get, then 5d, and 7D, and take it one step further if you can Red. It's about how good your footage looks to Hollywood. We have huge competition don't rely on your editor to make a scene look good with a billion filters and stuff. Grab a dam good camera spend some extra money get a second job, buy a good camera. HVX 200, and other cameras are good but they look to TV video. Unless you can buy a 45K lens. why do that when you can get a decent film look on 5D.

One of my past students has a nice package 5D, he payed 5K, and his stuff looks cinematic. He now works for the BBC making docs, and gets clients.

So spend 5K bust your butt, put up a nice website which is simple today, and you will get gigs.

We screened our 48 hour film on the big sceen Saturday it was made with the 7d and it looked really good on the big sceen. For low budget you can't go wrong with the 7d.

So Me

Hahaha... that producer is so me... I'm also the DP so the argument is all internal but... yeah. The DP in me wants a RED and full crew, the Producer says I can have a D90 and Adobe CS5 and thats it. Guess who won?

Seems like when something gets trendy, everyone has to dog it? Even though the footage looks dam good we still tend to talk bad about it. The red had the same problem, now the 5, and 7D are getting it. Seems to me people are feared of change and innovation. Innovation has created the American dream, so it seems to me that folks are putting down the American dream.

Hmmm?

I agree... good post

^ Ya, I liked his post too. And I agree for the most part. I know a few people that dog 'popular' things, just because they are popular.

Back