Cinematic Weddings, starting a production company.....

i'm a 22 year old who recently moved to Florida and started doing weddings on the side.

I was wondering what kind of things are involved in starting a small production company (like getting incorporated, insurance, ect).

also, if you've seen jose ortiz films cinematic weddings.. That's the type of wedding videography I want to be doing in a year from now....

This was my first wedding montage, shot in a location where they turned off all the lights for the ceremony :( still though, i made a decent montage out of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXzgDHfBDX4

I met some photographers that have 50 weddings this next year, and want to partner with me. they seem to think I show a ton of promise. Anyway, i'd just like to get your guys' insight on the wedding market (especially in st. pete, FL), and starting a company.

thanks!

- truestar

Last edited:
Nice work. Here are some inside secrets I picked up over the years.

I did a whole bunch of high-end weddings (starting at $2,300.00 to $4,000.00) in the late 1990's through 2001. I was able to make top dollar at that time, due to using 1990's newest technology, top-of-the-line DVcam format (4 cameras -- small and concealed PD100a, larger 150, 300 & 500 -- all on tripods), placed in prime locations during ceremony and reception. I worked alone. Could only do one wedding per day. Converted all to DVD-R. DVcam was more forgiving than the 1080 formats of today. I used high-end wireless mics as well.

But the biggest seller was having the Bride and Groom (their families) create a dialogue-less script well in advance of the entire wedding day. I started early -- capturing the Bride and Bride's maid's getting their hair done, the Groom and his Groom's men doing whatever they wanted to do early (using one camera -- the DSR150) -- following their day as in the script till late in the reception.

I would go to all the locations in advance, looking for shortcuts, timing travel time, getting location shots, etc. in advance.

NEVER had a Bridezilla. Never had a complaint. Always got paid (many times got many extras). After showing them the DVD-R or getting their response the day after, would change anything Bride/Groom wanted within 48 hours. At delivery of their DVD-Rs (15.00 for any over 5), I would get their (and sometimes family and friends) comments, (always praised highly) on DVcam tape. I have 2 1/2 hours of such compiled onto a well produced, edited DVD.

Yes. Those were long days of shooting and two weeks of editing all that material. But I made top dollar. Then 9/11 happened. Then the economy went south. 1080 became a reality... more and more DIY.

Wish you luck doing weddings, I quit doing weddings a decade ago -- I no longer have to wear a tux (I recommend that you do that when doing weddings -- it IS noticed).

Weddings are a perfect way to learn film-making fundamentals, editing and dealing with those in front of the camera...

Hope this helps... I am not rich or famous... be careful how you team up with photographers... some are good, some not... it is the NOT you have to watch out for.

Back