• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Cine Reflect Lighting System

chilipie

Pro Member
indiePRO
I wondered if any of you had come across the Cine Reflect Lighting System (CRLS) before? The idea is to minimise the number and power of lighting instruments and the clutter on set through the use of reflectors. There's a great 15 minute video that takes you through the principles of the system, with some real life examples - although I wouldn't want to discount the skills of the DoP, the scenes are beautifully lit and very natural looking, yet only use a single 1200W HMI.

I've no idea what the system costs to rent or to buy, but the idea itself is brilliant. Biggest light I've got is a 2K open face, which is far from ideal, but I'm quite tempted to try something similar out.

I didnt know about this. Im going to look into it. If you can achieve the same look with just one light and reflectors as you would with 3 lights (which i highly doubt), it would be quite an interesting option.

EDIT: i saw some of the video you were talking about. i can see the advantages of the system in terms of cost and clutter. but it cant replace the control lights would give you.

Last edited:
I thought about posting this myself a couple of weeks ago, not only because Christian Berger is Austrian but also because I find the system very interesting, I'm pretty sure he was inspired by Sven Nykvist's approach to lighting but went one step further. Whether this system would work for action films or films with a lot of movement, I don't know.

Last edited:
thats cool.. very ripe for DIY rip off..

this bit of Marketing smoke kinda prove it..

The heart of the B&B Cine Reflect Lighting System is a precisely engineered and accurately designed reflector combined with the narrow shape of an short arc HMI lamp and only this unique luminaire will provide the quality of light needed for such an application.

Yeah, I bet..

Yup. Read about these before. Interesting idea. Berger has it down to a science. DIY replica is appealing, but not certain I would use it to light everything.

Might take a good deal of practice to get to a point where you think in this kind of placement, rather than in terms of regular lights, flags, etc.

Back