Christian Bale out rage

OK so I'd like to hear how some of you producers would have handled the whole Christian Bale outburst. On one hand, I can kinda see his point of being distracted espescially when being paid as much as he gets, however, on the other hand, isn't it the expense of the producer on having to redo the scene? I'm sure I'm extremely naiive on this whole thing, but it seems to me that if he threatened to walk, as the producer, I would have said, "ok fine, that's a breach of contract, see ya, I'll get someone else." but, i'm sure that's probably an over simplification and probably a ridiculous response, but hey, I'm admittedly naiive to Big Hollywood. But I mean he was totally disrespectful to the guy. If it were me I think I might have punched him the face and claimed "I felt threatened ,so I defended myself".

If it were a low budget or freebie, when he told me he could get someone else I would have told him to go right ahead and walked off the set. On that set, I would have let it go in one ear and out the other thinking "what a moron."

Christian Bale obviously has no idea how to be a professional.....

....In any other context, he would have been dismissed I'd assume. Who wants to put up with someone who is obviously completely incapable of discussing an issue he's having in a reasonable, calm manner?......

....I can't see anyone wanting to work with Christian Bale after an outburst like that. Who would want to deal with a crybaby?

I agree with everything you said. Crybaby? How about: who would want to work with a completely unprofessional actor? He's not the only cowboy at the rodeo, it would make sense for him to be grateful for the good fortune he has experienced that allows him to do what he does everyday. If I'm not mistaken, there are a couple other good actors in Hollywood.

They should have fined Christian Bale money for the 4 minutes he wasted sobbing about his poor little actor feelings. A true professional would recognize that it was an accident, keep his anger to himself, and take steps to ensure that this didn't happen again, i.e. letting the guy know that this is extremely distracting and making it hard or impossible for him to do the scene, and have someone keep an eye on the guy so he doesn't do it again.

Actors are very fortunate people. When a film goes well, they are pretty much out in front. They are the ones who really get to experience the moviegoers appreciation when the film does well. Alot of good things happen for them. So, in my opinion, I think they-- meaning Bale -- should be a little more appreciative of those who put the film together.

I know that the talent position is an important one. But no actor should ever think that his crew is incidental. As much as I like being in charge of my productions, in my heart, I Am Crew. If I am ever fortunate enough to be able to run a bigger production, you can believe that no one better treat my crew like crap.

EDIT: And for the record, when a situation like this happens, it is every bit as uncomfortable for the people around the situation as it is for those involved. If anyone was in the zone of the film, they sure as hell are not anymore. You might as well send everybody to lunch.

So the next question is: where was the director in all of this? Isn't it HIS job to reprimand anyone who is screwing up? If the DP ruined a shot in this situation, the director sure is pretty zen ( :lol: ) about the whole affair. Either way, its the directors job to handle that sort of thing on the set, isn't it? Or is my indie filmmaker showing?

-- spinner :cool:

Last edited:
Ironically, every time I hear his name, I think of his temper tantrum. I saw a trailer for Terminator: Salvation and the first thing I thought was Bale coming unglued. I still want to see the film, I'm not going to miss out on the story, but he's not really a draw for me...

I'm not an actor, but they take their craft very seriously. If you bump into a painter's brush and a black streak goes across his painting chances are he will go off on you. Belittlement is not cool though. He is not above anyone else.

Actor's take a lot of time and perparation into becoming someone else. It is hard for those who've never taken the art seriously to truely understand. It's not easy to stay locked into a scene, to stay a character when you have a grip with a bounce card in your face, or if people behind camera are looking into your eyes. There is a lot of concentration that goes into staying in what we call ''the moment''. Now if this "DoP", was running around in the background once or twice... okay... whatever... fine... the shot wasn't ready. But yes... I might get upset as well if it continued to happen over and over. Why? Well... beleive it or not... Acting takes a lot out of you. To be able to perform the same thing over and over is a bit of work. Not physically per say, but definatly mentally. Now I'm not saying Christian played the right card... but if it was me, I wouldv'e told my director; who is in charge of the entire set; and he would deal with it. But that's just my 'lighting' on the situation. :P

I'm an actor (as well as crew member) who would like to comment.

There is absolutely no excuse for an outburst like that. I don't care what the DP was doing, it wasn't right to demoralize him like that. Bale was acting like a total prick diva.

And let's be real here people...actors are suppose to suspend belief and use concentration all the time...we have cameras, lights, booms and people all around us at every turn...the day a little movement in the background causes an outburst like that from me...bury me.

Bale can hang from wires with a hundred crew around in a greenscreen happy to perform...but a DP moves in the background of a shot, and he freaks out? It makes no sense other than him being a diva prick.

Sorry.

Even if the DP was in the wrong, he should have handled it much more professionally. Even though I wouldn't do it, I would say being a little pissed might be OK...but the way he handled it, he needs to take a long vacation from the arts.

Thanks.

Wow, I never thought this Thread would have generated as many responses, that's awesome! I asked for views and I got them. Interesting reading.

I'm not an actor, but they take their craft very seriously. If you bump into a painter's brush and a black streak goes across his painting chances are he will go off on you. Belittlement is not cool though. He is not above anyone else.

Bad analogy. If you bumped into a painter during a masterpiece, the painting is ruined (or will need careful fixing). If a take is messed up for an actor, you have as many more takes to get it perfect as you want. Simply cut the scene, take a breath, and call action again. A painter does not have that luxury.

And that's just my point. He should know by now if he wants a below-the-line person fired, he can do it fairly easily, there's no need for a tantrum.

Below-the-line person? It's the freakin DP!! If there is anybody I respect on set, it's the DP. They are kinda important to the film. :)

Cheers mate.

Bad analogy. If you bumped into a painter during a masterpiece, the painting is ruined (or will need careful fixing). If a take is messed up for an actor, you have as many more takes to get it perfect as you want. Simply cut the scene, take a breath, and call action again. A painter does not have that luxury.

If a take is messed up, it's not only frustrating for the actor who mightve felt; "that one was golden for me", but it also costs money. What if; Bale was a producer in this... what if all this wasted time was costing thousands and thousands of dollars? Production doesn't enjoy doing more then 3 takes. It's becoming more and more common now days that after 3 takes it's getting to be too expensive. Now I'm sure Bale has no Production title in this but, it's a "what if" situation. None the less, I do fully agree that the way he played his cards was the wrong way. But, in his defense, as he's mentioned on the radio, although he admits he was in the wrong; "Sometimes we all just have a bad day". Who knows... maybe his girlfriend left him... maybe for the start of the day things weren't going well. Were all human and subject to feelings and emotions that sometimes are difficult to handle even under the most professional of sets we work on. I'm not defending him because I like his work; cause frankly I could care less. I merely ask myself, why would someone do that... what might have happened that caused such an emotion. I think it's unfair to just naturally take the side of "Unprofessional". Something built up to that outbreak. None the less, as a non-fan of Christian Bale, I give him props for oweing up to the world, regardless if it was just really his agent talking through Bales lips.

Last edited:
People, it was clearly John Connor, leader of the resistance against Skynet's army of cyborgs who was yelling at the DoP. He was obviously in the middle of transmitting time-sensitive codes to his units when the photography man blundered into his battle bunker.

Surely, with humanity at stake you people can forgive mankind's last hope! I mean, by day he fights cyborgs, and by night he patrols the city as Batman- what do you expect?

But what you don't realize is that this was all manufactured purely for one purpose....

to create this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82WCj8AbfsE

If a take is messed up, it's not only frustrating for the actor who mightve felt; "that one was golden for me", but it also costs money. What if; Bale was a producer in this... what if all this wasted time was costing thousands and thousands of dollars? Production doesn't enjoy doing more then 3 takes. It's becoming more and more common now days that after 3 takes it's getting to be too expensive. Now I'm sure Bale has no Production title in this but, it's a "what if" situation. None the less, I do fully agree that the way he played his cards was the wrong way. But, in his defense, as he's mentioned on the radio, although he admits he was in the wrong; "Sometimes we all just have a bad day". Who knows... maybe his girlfriend left him... maybe for the start of the day things weren't going well. Were all human and subject to feelings and emotions that sometimes are difficult to handle even under the most professional of sets we work on. I'm not defending him because I like his work; cause frankly I could care less. I merely ask myself, why would someone do that... what might have happened that caused such an emotion. I think it's unfair to just naturally take the side of "Unprofessional". Something built up to that outbreak. None the less, as a non-fan of Christian Bale, I give him props for oweing up to the world, regardless if it was just really his agent talking through Bales lips.

I completely understand...we all have bad days, and we all go through stuff that influences our emotions and choices...but let's be honest here...remember not too long ago Bale's own Mother put up a restraining order against him...should we chalk that off to a bad week? A bad year? How bad can his life be?

Now I don't know about you guys...but at what point would my mom put out a restraining order on me? My point being...clearly Bale has issues...and that poor DP felt the unfortunate wrath.

Hypothetically bringing up his possible production credit isn't fair. He wasn't a producer. And even if he was, it's one take in a sound stage...no explosions, no big stunts...chump change. Yes, I said it...chump change. For a movie with that budget and production value, no one cares about one messed up take. And I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say that was not his 'one in a million golden take.'

It's an actors job to ignore the background and concentrate on their character and action. It's our job! :) Do you know how many times I've done my two shot with an actor, then on my CU the other actor leaves set and I'm doing my emotional scene to either the grip or the wall? That's what we do as actors...we stay in character, and deal with extraordinary situations. We don't flip out because there is movement in the background. Sheesh. Why don't people understand this? :) I'm not at all hostile here...this is all very friendly.

And no matter what was going on in my life...I wouldn't turn evil like that. It's called true colors...and boy are they shining through. Maybe he needs a long vacation.

I can sympothize with people going through hardships...real hardships. Like people loosing their jobs and homes. People who have recently lost family. People being deployed overseas. I can't sympathize with a millionaire diva pulling a tantrum like that. Sorry.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I'm glad M1chae! is an actor, cause I agree with him completely, it's just good to see it comes from an actor's point of view.

He's the man but I guess he does have anger issues. Ah what the hell ever great peron i history has a problem. The Dp did nothing wrong Bale was just being a baby,

People, it was clearly John Connor, leader of the resistance against Skynet's army of cyborgs who was yelling at the DoP. He was obviously in the middle of transmitting time-sensitive codes to his units when the photography man blundered into his battle bunker.

Surely, with humanity at stake you people can forgive mankind's last hope! I mean, by day he fights cyborgs, and by night he patrols the city as Batman- what do you expect?

Sure, that's what he wants you to believe. When in fact he's only impersonating The Batman. In actuality, he is a corporate bigwig on a murderous crime spree, begging for someone, anyone to stop him....of course no one believes that. :D

Back