• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Chase scene obstacles

Hello everyone,

I'm making a chase scene for my upcoming short and would to know if anyone has any ideas on what obstacles I could use in my chase scene, particularly in this location:

r2l05v.jpg

2ziu1rc.jpg

I was thinking the guy being chased would push against boxes, causing some obstacle for the one who is chasing him, but I don't think it seems very convenient.

Any other good ideas? I can't think of any good obstacle to add while running down the stairs.

Thanks in advance.

Someone could be moving into/out of an apartment.
Two guys are carrying a sofa/couch/overstuffed recliner up/down the stairs with another friend or two carrying boxes of personal effects.

The runner goes over/under/around the two guys carrying the sofa/couch/overstuffed recliner, grabs a couple of objects from the top of the boxes of personal effects (heavy books or kitchen supplies... say a bag of flour), he spins and throws them at his pursuer, turns and continues running.

A guy on a ladder painting the walls or window trim could also work... interestingly.

Also, I hope your insurance is good enough to cover injuries from falling while running up or down these stone steps.
At least get all at risk to sign some sort of medical or risk release form.
Medical costs for a sprained wrist or turned ankle can really jam up your project.

Good Luck! :)

Last edited:
This film had tonnes of obstacles for a runner to dodge:

runlolarunglass.jpg

Something as simple as other people walking up or down the stairs would be suitable for impeding the runner.

Maybe your runner should head up the steps, btw. That's a loooong way to fall, if (s)he stumbles.

Back