directing Catering hacks, Let's talk about it

Arguably, I personally feel that a film budget should make crafty and catering a top priority, What say you?
I think every director here probably knows by now that pizza is a no-no, So how do you make the most out of
a budget when it comes to catering?

Me personally, I've fed a crew of 8 for a 3 day shoot during a school project for under 100 dollars.
Basically...
5 boxes of pasta from the dollar store + shredded cheese = macaroni and cheese $14
Vegan options: salad and veggie bowl using baby corn, shredded carrots, dressing, green onions $35
Meat lovers: shrimp scampi, pulled pork or chicken using sweet baby ray's BBQ (the cheap stuff) $30
Bottled water, 2 liter sodas, dole juices = $20

How about you? How do you make catering work?

I kid you not. Red Vines and Skittles are 2 of the MOST important things you need to keep the crew happy. They're easy to eat, don't make a mess , and give quick (if unhealthy) energy. I haven't seen a set in 20 years that didn't have them, and a lot of Crafties will keep a secret stash hidden just for G & E. And pizza isn't a no-no, pizza as a meal is. I've heard that pizza as a meal is banned under IATSE, but I looked through IA Local 600's "meal penalty guidelines" and couldn't find anything specific. The problem with pizza, however, is it's messy. But as a hot pass in the afternoon, it's a nice change of pace.

I kid you not. Red Vines and Skittles are 2 of the MOST important things you need to keep the crew happy. They're easy to eat, don't make a mess , and give quick (if unhealthy) energy. I haven't seen a set in 20 years that didn't have them, and a lot of Crafties will keep a secret stash hidden just for G & E. And pizza isn't a no-no, pizza as a meal is. I've heard that pizza as a meal is banned under IATSE, but I looked through IA Local 600's "meal penalty guidelines" and couldn't find anything specific. The problem with pizza, however, is it's messy. But as a hot pass in the afternoon, it's a nice change of pace.
red vines and skittles I will definitely add next time. How much of a budget would you spend on catering?

I kid you not. Red Vines and Skittles are 2 of the MOST important things you need to keep the crew happy.
Don’t forget the Welch’s fruit snacks. And don’t try and get creative by purchasing Mott’s fruit snacks. Not the same. Inferior, actually.

Yes, you can feed a small crew on a small budget, but it’s important to feed them properly. Mac-and-cheese is a non-starter for me, unless it’s a side for something more substantial. It’s carb-heavy, and that’s just going to make me drowsy after lunch. I need a solid protein and some vegetables alongside.

Vegetarians/vegans need more than lettuce, corn, and carrots. Where’s the complete protein? At last add some garbanzo beans if you’re doing a salad bowl. Quinoa is another good, high-protein option. Falafel can be made on the cheap, and is a great vegan/vegetarian option that’s also gluten-free.

And a courtesy breakfast is always helpful. It doesn’t have to be epic, but a good selection of breakfast sandwiches (biscuit, English muffin, or croissant), or an egg scramble can be a good way to start the day.

Just remember: carbs are cheap, but they don’t actually feed the crew.

Don’t forget the Welch’s fruit snacks. And don’t try and get creative by purchasing Mott’s fruit snacks. Not the same. Inferior, actually.

Yes, you can feed a small crew on a small budget, but it’s important to feed them properly. Mac-and-cheese is a non-starter for me, unless it’s a side for something more substantial. It’s carb-heavy, and that’s just going to make me drowsy after lunch. I need a solid protein and some vegetables alongside.

Vegetarians/vegans need more than lettuce, corn, and carrots. Where’s the complete protein? At last add some garbanzo beans if you’re doing a salad bowl. Quinoa is another good, high-protein option. Falafel can be made on the cheap, and is a great vegan/vegetarian option that’s also gluten-free.

And a courtesy breakfast is always helpful. It doesn’t have to be epic, but a good selection of breakfast sandwiches (biscuit, English muffin, or croissant), or an egg scramble can be a good way to start the day.

Just remember: carbs are cheap, but they don’t actually feed the crew.
This is good stuff. I'd wager that you've been on a few sets and seen a thing or two.

Pizza is a no-no, correct! Do we love pizza? Sure. Should it be on a set? No. It's cheap, fast, and shows no thought. But that's not why. It's hot food in a box that gets cold fast, and you are gambling when you expect it to arrive hot as well. To a set, not a house. Late and cold are possibilities. Delivery is not catering. What happens when the gaffer has a late lunch because he was working his ass off, comes up to the table 20 minutes later, and there's two slices of cold pizza? Should be hot food kept hot in soup wells (chili, soup in winter) or chafing dishes. Cold food is allowed too but not cold pizza. The only way pizza should be on a set is if it is made there. That's a treat. Walk up to a mobile wood oven and order your own pizza. This is allowed! But not Little Caesars, or even that good place down the block. No, just no! 😁 (Unless the set is your house and your crew is your three friends.)

There's one more reason you don't do it. Because it is known across the industry that you don't do it. So you just end up looking like "that asshole." 😂

Food trucks can work too. Not the movie food trucks, the gourmet food trucks around town. You can work out a price for them to drive up and serve.

Not if it's a treat! I know you don't have the money for this but imagine working on a set, and telling the cast and crew the lobster roll truck is pulling up for lunch. But if you don't eat lobster there's hot food also (separately catered). Treats are fun to reward people with. People look forward to food. Having a shitty day? Not feeling like working? That's the cure.

Since this is about hacks here's one. Call up a local cooking school. Let them know you have a production that needs a catering chef, would they be interested in working with you. They may have someone work with you for college credit, so all you pay is food cost, and they develop the menu and cook it up. Then you tip them, and they are happy they got experience + tip.

This is good stuff. I'd wager that you've been on a few sets and seen a thing or two.
I’d wager you’re right. And I’ve had some excellent catering, and some that barely qualified as food. Fortunately, it’s been much more the former than the latter.

By the way, “the cheap stuff” with packaged BBQ... that may seem like a great bargain, but that shit is usually swimming in sauce to the point that it‘s almost more sugar than meat.

Today’s my day off. I went to the farmers market downtown, and ran into our production’s caterers. They were shopping for this week’s menu. It’s good to have fresh, locally-sourced food on set.

The challenge right now is operating safely under COVID protocol. Self-serve lines are currently a no-go. Same with communal chip bags at crafty (or any other open, shared food container). Everything has to be individually packaged servings. And the crafty rule is “you touch it, you take it”. For catering, either a serving line with catering staff to plate food to order, or pre-plated meals in covered containers.

Either way, the important part is understanding what people’s actual nutritional needs are and how to cater to that. Or, if you hire a knowledgable and skilled caterer, you don’t have to worry about it.

Also highly recommended for crafty... because they’re delicious AND they add another source of substantial nutrition: individual hummus and guacamole cups, with chips (tortilla, pita, and pretzel). Keep them in a cooler at crafty. As much as I love to satiate my sweet tooth throughout the day, I more often gravitate toward snacks that last. Nori chips (roasted and seasoned seaweed sheets) are also a new trend that I have found myself munching on quite a bit.

Last edited:
By the way, “the cheap stuff” with packaged BBQ... that may seem like a great bargain, but that shit is usually swimming in sauce to the point that it‘s almost more sugar than meat.
Like that Lloyd's crap, if that is still around.
5 boxes of pasta from the dollar store + shredded cheese = macaroni and cheese
That doesn't equal mac n cheese tho lol! I would give you an A for effort but mac n cheese is actually very hard to make good. You have to have a good béchamel sauce, good cheeses, and butter, and know how to cook it. But I am sure it worked out.

Back