Canon XL1.........Need advice!

Hi guys,

Well my course is on the verge of ending and my privilege of using the course's equipment stops at the end of June- so my next step is to purchase my own equipment before my campus shift in Sept for a final year of uni.

I have a good technical ability with crew positions across the board, I am however a director, outright. My last 2 years have been spent working with the Sony Z5 and Sony PD150/170 and I think they are extremely good bits of kit- but after a dud deal in an attempt to buy a PD170, I've rethought a few factors and today came to the conclusion that the Canon XL1 could be a camera which would have more mileage for me, than the P170.

My main attraction came from Danny Boyle's use of it shooting 28 Days Later, the fact he used a 35mm lens on the xl1's body, to me is what film making is all about, just going at it. Ive seen some more footage of what the cam can produce and it looks great, so great I was actually surprised I hadn't inquired about it before...so I'd like to do that here, now.

With the camera being a considerable chunk of dosh, I was wondering if anyone on here could share any experience they may have with it. Pretty broad question I know, but Id rather be given a few of the Canon's cons on here, as opposed to finding before/during a shoot.

In comparison to the Z5/PD I know the Canon lacks an LCD screen and XLR jacks, something which indeed made me hesitate looking further in to the purchase. While on the subject could anyone recommend any good audio capture devices that could be used in conjunction? As said before 100% of my experience is with XLR connected sound devices to the camera body/ and/ or through a mixer.

So in short-

Canon XL1- Yes or No
Pros/Cons
Any experience?
Audio devices to be used?

And finally...

Anyone fancy maybe recommending me a different camera. I'm aiming to keep the price under £1000, and will be sourcing a buying 2nd hand.

Many thanks in advance for any help folks!
Louis

Of the two I would (and did) choose the PD170. David Lynch used it
for “Inland Empire”, Chris Kentis used it for “Open Water” and
Peter Hegdes used it for “Pieces of April”

Regardless of which directors have used which camera, I have used
and do not like the XL1.

Are you sure you want a SD camera?

Have you been shopping around or reading what's currently out? The XL-1 is something like 10 years old. With video technology, each camera is figuratively outdated two days after it's released.

Poke around the forums here, most people, myself included, still recommend a DSLR at that price point unless you really need a unique feature on a different camera.

Regardless, don't go Mini-DV. Terrible compression and color sampling aside, who wants to capture off tape anymore? One of my clients still shoots regularly on mini-DV and masters DVCAM and she's pretty much the only reason I still have the deck. Tape sucks (IMO, I know there really are practical reasons for it... but I dislike capturing :) )

Hi directorik, thanks for your quick response.

DV tape is all I know, I guess I'm hesitant to embrace change. Do you have any recommendations for video cameras with SD as their primary means of capture?

I too love the 170 to bits, great rough and ready bit of kit with super results. The lack of lens options has started to turn me away though! Is it just me or does Canon support its products a lot better than Sony?

A DSLR could be an option for me, my dad is a photographer and has urged me to step back and consider one for my line of work. Native progressive capture is attractive, and the prospect of capturing to RAW files is a solid plus...but once again I'll be stubborn and say my experience lies in video cameras and I'd sort of like to keep my work rooted with them at the source.

Hey Paul,

Your argument is solid man, tape logging is the one element I hate...so yeah seems like Mini DV needs to change.

I'll have a look about the forum and see how I can conclude!

Any more opinion/advice welcome!

Had a good read about the forum, and finally decided I'm going to settle for the Canon D600 (Rebel T3i). Seems like an excellent camera for the money, found one for sale 2nd hand at a great price!

Cheers for the input!

Back